Optical Headphones - 360/PS3

Monopot

Novice Member
Thinking of getting some headphones for my PS3 / 360 but need some help please.

Currently have my PS3 over HDMI / 360 over component with both optical into a 3 way optical switch, which goes into my Pioneer HTP-GS1 Amp. This amp doesn't have a headphone connector on it so what sort of headphones would I get and how would I connect them up to work with both.

My initial thought was to get some earphones which have a long optical cable which I could then plug into the switch in place of the amp cable when I needed, but obviously I wouldn't get 5.1 then, and I also can't find any optical headphones.

Any ideas?

JonnyConcrete

Novice Member
If you decide to go with the sharkoons they are cheaper here

Scan.co.uk: Sharkoon X-TATIC 5.1 v2 Dolby® Headphones & detachable microphone, XBOX Live Compat. (toslink input)

As an avforums member you can get free delivery by using this link

AVForums Home

If you want a good set of surround sound headpgones that arnt 5.1 a lot of people like the Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headphones here

Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headphones - TBEFX1

There is an extensive discussion been going on in the 360 forum, check it out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/719480-decent-headphones-xbox-360-a-21.html

:thumbsup:

Edit: Ahh just noticed, I don't think the X1s use optical.

Last edited:

-Ad-

Not a clue how to hook it up to your amp, hopefully others can help.

But please whatever you do don't buy those sharkmoons, overpriced 5.1 tat to be quite frank. Get some sennheasier HD555 or better 595, or even better HD600 headphones. They will walk all over 5.1 headsets.

Monopot

Novice Member
If you decide to go with the sharkoons they are cheaper here

Scan.co.uk: Sharkoon X-TATIC 5.1 v2 Dolby® Headphones & detachable microphone, XBOX Live Compat. (toslink input)

As an avforums member you can get free delivery by using this link

AVForums Home

If you want a good set of surround sound headpgones that arnt 5.1 a lot of people like the Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headphones here

Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headphones - TBEFX1

There is an extensive discussion been going on in the 360 forum, check it out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/719480-decent-headphones-xbox-360-a-21.html

:thumbsup:

Edit: Ahh just noticed, I don't think the X1s use optical.
Thanks for that I'll have a look as I've used Scan a lot in the past.

Ideally want optical as I want to use the headphones on both my 360 and my PS3 so thought it would be easiest this way by using optical into my switch.

Anyone know if the X1's can be used on a PS3?

Failing that, any recomendations on some opitcal stereo headphones?

JonnyConcrete

Novice Member
Not a clue how to hook it up to your amp, hopefully others can help.

But please whatever you do don't buy those sharkmoons, overpriced 5.1 tat to be quite frank. Get some sennheasier HD555 or better 595, or even better HD600 headphones. They will walk all over 5.1 headsets.
Utter rubbish, my Sharkoons sound awsome playing games.

Monopot

Novice Member
Utter rubbish, my Sharkoons sound awsome playing games.
Can you use them on the PS3?

Also, what about using noise cancelling cans instead such as the Senn PXC 450 or Bose QC2? Was thinking of getting one of these for travelling with anyway, so if these are good enough to casual game with every so often this would suit me just fine.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom