Question Optical Drive or Not in new build

seriman

Hello everyone it has been a while since I posted on this website but the information received is really helpful.
My 14 yr old pc has done me proud but I am now retired and will be getting stuck into some vhs transfer
to digitial and games nothing heavy and all single player mode and the usual pc stuff to keep an eye on bills,
finance and sorting photos.
I have had about 3 pc's in my time and replaced parts for small upgrades like gpu and ram.
I am now looking forward to actually starting from scratch and building my own pc as this is what I have wanted
to do for a while but could not afford and the budget is not set but will in my opinion be moderate at around £800
the pc will be under my pc table in the slot provided so not to concerned about case lighting ect.
My main parts that i have looked at will be
AMD 5 Ryzen 3600 and included cooler
MSI Tomahawk Max B450
16/32 Cosair Vengence Black DDR4 3200hz
GPU RX5700 not sure which make and gb
still looking for storage as big changes have happened as have many other components and this is why I ask this question
before buying a case which will be a mid tower and ATX compatible.
I have loads of disks dvd cd with information on and also windows 10 home 64 o/s which needs to be installed and is on 2 of my hdd's.
So would i be better with installed Optical reader or external and what about sd card reader as well?
I am looking at other components such as monitor but that will come later just need to sort out PSU probably 650w but not sure on whether full semi or modular.
Hope this makes sense I am open to suggestions and questions
Thanks for reading
Seriman

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind that desktop cases has rather grown in size since 14 years ago, so many things advertised as mid-tower these days would have been considered a super wide full tower back in 2006. If your computer desk is an old one then make sure there's sufficient width for whatever case you choose.

If you haven't got a windowed case I wouldn't bother with decorated RAM like that - or any sort of modular PSU.

A desktop half height DVD drive does tend to have the ability to spin the disks faster than the slimline ones so your existing drives will be slightly better technically than an external one - but whether you use it enough to insist on it is your decision.

The windows 10 media creator will work with a USB stick so you don't need it for that.

SD Card will perform similarly whether it's inside or outside the case. It's the same hardware and both use a USB connection. Do use SD cards enough to make it part of your case selection criteria?

seriman

Bear in mind that desktop cases has rather grown in size since 14 years ago, so many things advertised as mid-tower these days would have been considered a super wide full tower back in 2006. If your computer desk is an old one then make sure there's sufficient width for whatever case you choose.

If you haven't got a windowed case I wouldn't bother with decorated RAM like that - or any sort of modular PSU.

A desktop half height DVD drive does tend to have the ability to spin the disks faster than the slimline ones so your existing drives will be slightly better technically than an external one - but whether you use it enough to insist on it is your decision.

The windows 10 media creator will work with a USB stick so you don't need it for that.

SD Card will perform similarly whether it's inside or outside the case. It's the same hardware and both use a USB connection. Do use SD cards enough to make it part of your case selection criteria?

Thank you EndlessWaves for the information and advice regards the case what minimum space should I allow around the case and as for sd cards we use these a lot for photos and video on android phones and tablets and also compact cameras so could use usb connected card reader hub.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thank you EndlessWaves for the information and advice regards the case what minimum space should I allow around the case

Hard to say without knowing the design of the desk. If it's a totally enclosed cupboard with only an opening at the front then you do want to allow a reasonable amount of space around or above the case for the air behind the case to mix with the room air.

seriman

Hard to say without knowing the design of the desk. If it's a totally enclosed cupboard with only an opening at the front then you do want to allow a reasonable amount of space around or above the case for the air behind the case to mix with the room air.

Thanks it is an old desk but had for years but open front and back and twenty inches tall so should not be a problem with air flow thanks for your help will give an update when I am sorted so that I can be pointed in the right direction if the price is right and better options available.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom