1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical Digital? Newbie, pls help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jmp_78, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DAV-S550 Home Cinema kit - it is prgrammed for Region 2 only. I have been told to chip this will cost a fair few quid!
    I would instead like to buy a standalone Multi-Region player for upto £40 - 1st question, any suggestions..?
    My more important question is as follows... using the existing kit, I can obviously achieve DD5.1 & DTS. I want to know if I could connect the standalone player to the Sony, to get DD5.1 from Multi-Region discs. Sony UK, and the Sony Shop were most unhelpful!
    The sockets I have spare at the back of the Sony are as follows - 1.Component Video Out jacks; 2.Video2 jacks; 3.Optical Digital In jack (this I guess?!?) If these WILL work, please confirm what cable I will need, and where it will run from and to!!!

Many thanks in advance,
    Jamie (Nottingham)

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Assuming that you're not already using the optical in for Sky+, then this connection is the one you need. Make sure the DVD player you buy has optical out, as some models only come with coaxial digital. Then you just need to buy optical digital cable from any electrical outlet or Hi-Fi shop etc. You need the Toslink to Toslink version. Just looked, and you can buy one from Lektropacks at £11.00 for 1m. Other prices for other lengths. There are of course many other suppliers and leads of greater (and lesser) quality at a wide variety of prices.

HTH