Optical connection question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jamie G, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jamie G

Jamie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

First off, happy new year to one and all on AVF! :clap:

My issue is that i'm short on optical inputs on my Onk 876 (only has 2) and due to recently getting a new TV, i'm having to use opt & coax instead of HDMI.

Now, I have three devices with opt outputs (none have coax unfortunately) so i've had to employ a optical "splitter" that i had lying around. This works fine with one of the devices, but I can't get it to work with my PS3??? I've though that maybe its because its a splitter rather than a switch, but i'm sure i've had it working this way a while back when i had a different receiver.

Anyone have any ideas at all? Is there a known problem with the PS3 when it comes to sharing a opt signal?

Cheers guys! :smashin:

Jamie

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    There should br no issue with using an optical switch, but it may be that the "splitter" you are using isn't suitable for use as a switch? The switch just alters the source component. Have you tested the PS3 with a different input on the optical switch? Does the PS3 function correctly if you connect its optical output directly to the amp?

If you've an additional digi coax input available then use a optical to coax convertor. This way you do not need to manually switch the optical via the optical switch. Here is such a convertor:
    POF-830 - Optical-to-Coaxial Audio Converter - Optical: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  3. Jamie G

Jamie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Dante, cheers for the response mate. I did think that, but i'm sure i've successfully used it like that before...weird huh? Yep, done the process of elimination bit, thought that the opt output on the PS3 might be kaput, but it does work fine when connected directly. I've tried both inputs on the switch with my play on and again, seems fine :confused:

Did think of using a opt to coax converter, actually looked at that exact one :D just would rather avoid the extra expenses of that plus a coax cable if poss. Not exactly pricey i know, but the time of year doesn't help :p ha ha.

Cheers again bud

Jamie

4. stellamandude

stellamandude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Had a similar issue my self after the purchase of a new TV.

Assuming your sig is correct, TV wise, I'd assume it has a optical output ?
    I have a Onkyo SR-307 which only has 2 optical outputs, just like your 876, so I'm pretty sure this will work ;)
    I actually wanted to remove my splitter, which I needed since my old TV didn't have an optical, so this is how I went about it.

Wanted to connect a Tivo, Xbox and PS3, all running through the amp and without the need to get up and "switch" the splitter.

Connect TV via HDMI-1 to the Amp
    Connect TV via Optical to amp opt-1
    Connect your xbox, PS3 and sky/tivo to the amp HDMI's
    Go into the settings on your amp and select opt-1 for each of your devices.

This should allow all 3 devices to work without the need of a splitter :)

I had to also change a sound setting on my TV to get 5.1 sound from each device, think it was called "PCM" (LG TV)

I can now simply switch channels on the amp to either watch TV (cbl/sat), play xbox (vcr/dvr) or watch a BR on the PS3 (br/dvd) :cool:

Hope this helps out :thumbsup:

5. D.D.D.

D.D.D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    Such has already been suggested in the second post of this thread. The OP also responded to this suggestion stating that he had/was already considering the purchase of use of an optical to coax convertor.

Did you read the thread?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012