1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical connection between amp & DVD, is it any good ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kennrc, Jan 14, 2003.

1. kennrc

kennrc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi !

I'm the happy owner of a Sony STR-DB1080QS reciever and a Sony DVP-NS700 DVD/CD/SACD-player. Today they are connected by a coax-cable. I'm very happy with the sound when playing both DVD's and CD's.

But now I need the coax-plug on the reciever for a digital connection with my PC.

Both the DVD and the reciever support optial-connections. Therefore I now intend to connect the DVD and reciever by a optical connection instead.

The question is: Will this give me the same quality sound as the coax does ?

I've seen several people (including the Sony manual), that recommend using the coax, because this provides the most direct route !?!

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Both cables carry a digital signal, and its this very fact that mean there is no difference whatsoever between the two,

The only difference could occur if you were unlucky and had a bad cable, but this is unlikely.... Digital signals in this situation are extremely robust to noise, and I suspect if you were losing any 'bits' due to the cable, it would manifest itself as gaps in the sound, and other horrible artefacts...

I am going out on a limb here, but I suspect anyone that tells you they can hear the difference is either
    A. Very much lying
    or
    B. Talking CAK

- of course if the AMP is damaged, or the cable is, then sure, but this could happen to either...
    Oh and I;ve looked at several schematics for the Optical/Coaxial outputs on DVD players, and as far as routing is concerned, they are identical... they usually just split just before the sockets...

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ken it is not regarded to be that critical in AV DD 5.1/DTS signals what type of cable type or connection type you use as the signal is [generally] regarded to be less prone to the effects of cable type or connector.

But … If you are transferring music signals ie PCM coaxial is again generally more highly regarded than optical. So there is a difference, and I hope “I aint very much lying or talking CAK” when I say I have heard differences in these connections.

BTW Here is an excerpt of my TAG DAC manual about the Optical toslink connection :

I would take TAGs word for it that both types of connection vary and they may impact on sound, use a coaxial where you can but optical is just as accpeptable in certain types of transfer is bitstream.

HTHs and of ocurse All IMHO.