Optical cables required?

welsho

Standard Member
Hi all, just taken delivery of a Sony IZ1000W Home Cinema system, looking to set it up over next 48 hours but am guessing that I'll be needing some new cables.

I have a Sky HD box and a Sony Bravia TV, also want to hook up my Playstation 3.

My question is simple as I am a relative non-techie; which cables do I need to be buying and how many do I need, if someone could further explain what it is I then do with the cables it would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

StevieBuck

I'd connect the Sky+HD box direct to the TV with HDMI, and to the sound system with an optical cable.

For the Playstation, connect that direct to the sound system with an HDMI cable. This will allow you to send multi-channel linear PCM audio from the PS3 to the sound system.

The sound system in turn will connect by HDMI to the TV. If for any reason you want to use the TV's internal tuner and want that audio to pass through to the sound system you may have a couple of options. If the TV supports ARC (a feature that allows audio to pass from the TV to the sound system by HDMI), all you need to do is enable that on the TV & sound system. If the TV doesn't support ARC, you will need a separate audio connection such as digital optical or pair of RCA/phono cables. If you will only be watching material from the Sky+HD box or PS3, this connection isn't necessary.

kayjay1814

Standard Member
Hi this is my first post so i will try and explain my problems, my wife and I had a 42in. LG tv and a Blu-ray home cinema system bought for our 70th birthday I have connected all the speakers to the Blu-ray and the 2 units with a HDMI lead I can get all the radio stations through the speakers but no luck with the tv sound, any help would be grateful
Thanks Jim
ps I also have a Virgin+ box which is connected
:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom