Optical cableing question (3-way cable split question)

pstones578

I have 1 optical port available to 3 devices (SkyHD/360/PS3). The devices will never be on at the same time. I initially had one of these doing optical splitting/switching for 2 devices on the same optical port http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Optical...yZ116850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have now bought another one of these splitters and done a daisy chain stylee between the two splitters. Anything patched into the splitter nearest my amp works fine but anything one hop away on the second splitter will not work. I've pulled the cable that is attaching the optical splitter furthest away from the amp and the splitter nearest the amp and I can see light although it's not as strong as it should be (I can tell by comparing it to that of an optical cable pulled straight of one of the other devices.

My question is how do I get my 3 things to go into the one optical port and work?

samjpullen

Bump, i am also looking for somthing along the same lines.

I have one of those 3 way splitters but its annoying having to get round the back of my system to turn it, also add to the fact that its stopped working!!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Seriously guys, sell your amps and use the money towards buying a new AV receiver with the right amount of inputs. It will work out better in the long run that mucking around piggy backing splitters or paying for expensive digital audio splitters. Just my 2p worth!

adrian3221

Novice Member
I have 1 optical port available to 3 devices (SkyHD/360/PS3). The devices will never be on at the same time. I initially had one of these doing optical splitting/switching for 2 devices on the same optical port http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Optical...yZ116850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have now bought another one of these splitters and done a daisy chain stylee between the two splitters. Anything patched into the splitter nearest my amp works fine but anything one hop away on the second splitter will not work. I've pulled the cable that is attaching the optical splitter furthest away from the amp and the splitter nearest the amp and I can see light although it's not as strong as it should be (I can tell by comparing it to that of an optical cable pulled straight of one of the other devices.

My question is how do I get my 3 things to go into the one optical port and work?
Just purchased a PS3 and now have exactly the same problem. 1 optical input on amp and Sky HD/Xbox 360/PS3.

Currently using a two way splitter for 360 and SKY HD. Have seen the 3 way switch boxes but don't fancy having to flip a switch to change inputs all the time.

Did you find any solution??

Jamie

Distinguished Member
My Arcam is a little limited on optical inputs.
I've used a optical to co-ax adapter to use a co-ax input in the past

Recently I bought a Thor 4 way HDMI and optical switch (google HDC-100) which does HDMI and digital audio. I use input 1 for my PS3 (HDMI and optical) input 2 for my HTPC (DVI-HDMI and optical) and the other 2 inputs for just optical connections (my old DVDR and Sky+)
If you can pick up the Thor switch cheap (got mine from the classifieds) it will work without HDMI connected and just switch the appropriate digital audio connection (it switches opttical and co-ax but doesn't convert between the 2, in theory you could use it to connect 8 digital audio connections, 4 of each to 2 digital inputs on the amp)

Having said that. I agree with Dave.