1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Andrew K, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    My optical connection between Sky + and AVR300 has failed in that no sound comes through at all whether DD or stereo.

Testing all elements seems to indicate that the Optical cable is the fault as using the same cable from the DVD results in no sound either. Changing the optical connection on the AVR results in no change either.

Finally I tried another optical cable yesterday and that worked fine.

I noticed that the red light coming through the cable was much dimmer on the problem cable.

Has anyone come across this before and are there any solutions other than just buying another cable. The cable used is Chord's Optichord.

(posted on cable forum as well as arcam forum)

2. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could simply have a dirty set of connectors on your cable. The interface is pretty small and needs to be 100% dust and grime free. Get yourself some lint free isopropyl-alcohol wipes (basically surgical wipes you get wiped on you before you get a needle at the docs) from your local chemist and give each end of the optical interface on each end of the cable a single up and down stroke across a NEW wipe (1 for each interface).

If your problem still exists, then chances are the cable may be damaged. After all, it's basically plastic (don't think there are any REAL glass ones on the market for this stuff) and can be damaged if bent too much.

CfP