Question Optical cable v HDMI lead?

BOBAD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am running a SkyQ 2tb box into a Denon 2400 AVR and on to an LG 910 oled TV.

I have an HDMI lead connecting the Skybox to the AVR and an optical lead connects the AVR to the tv.

My question is whether or not this is routed correctly and if not, what would be a better way to do it?

I have heard that Skyboxes do not send Dolby Digital signals via optical cables but the Denon AVR indicates that a DD signal is being received and I am unsure if the optical cable to the TV is the spoiler here.

Thanks in advance for any replies to my question.

Last edited:
If I don't need the optical lead, should I just remove it?

SKYQ - can Output DD5.1 via HDMI or Optical, it can also support DD+ (Atmos) over HDMI so assuming your AVR supports DD+ you will use HDMI between the SKY Q box and the AVR.

TV > AVR - what cables you use between the TV and the AVR are irrelevant to the SKY Q audio once you have SKY Q Connected direct to the AVR via HDMI.

AVR > TV - you will want an HDMI cable in place to send video to the TV.

TV Audio - if you use the TV’s onboard tuner or streaming apps you either use ARC (that runs over the HDMI cable you already have in place between the AVR and the TV - assuming you have it connected to the relevant HDMI sockets and ARC enabled) or you add an Optical cable between the TV and the AVR, though again HDMI (ARC) is possibly the better option.

Think you need to have another look around the back of the AVR to confirm what goes where :)

Joe

I have an HDMI lead connecting the Skybox to the AVR and an optical lead connects the AVR to the tv.
First part is correct. If it's a SkyQ box with full UHD subscription then you will get the maximum audio of SD Dolby Digital Plus along with any Atmos metadata providing you have the correct speaker set up, ie, 5.1.2 which is the maximum with your Denon.

The AVR is not connected to the TV via optical it's the other way around. The TV passes audio to the receiver, it's one way only and is SD Dolby Digital 5.1 maximum.

A HDMI lead connecting the receiver to the TV should be in the correct ARC input and using this will give you the maximum of Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos is your TV supports this format.

@Joe Fernand just beat me to it.:)

Thanks to Joe Fernand and gibbsy for replying.

Just one last question: How do I identify which ARC input is the correct one?

The ARC Socket on the LG TV is usually labelled - you will need to be able to see the rear/side of the TV (or use your phone camera).

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom