Optical cable socket

KennyMo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Hitachi TV 50HK6100U C & Im trying to connect it to a sound bar. I tried connecting via a HDMI cable but that didn't work, the cable I used was only a cheap one so I've ordered a high speed with ethernet cable which I hope will work. I tried to connect it via an optical cable & I tried both types from the photo but neither of them fit. The socket on the TV says SPDIF Optic out. Is there a different type of cable I need?
TIA
FA39A41D-C7D7-4638-A05D-9C07AAE26EAE.jpeg

It's a bit tricky to tell from your photo but the cable on the right looks like an optical (spdif, toslink) cable, which is the type to use.

Google 'optical spdif cable' and check the images match your cable.

Bear in mind they only fit in one way so get that right first. Also be sure to remove any protective caps (it looks like you have).

Last edited:
To allow audio output via HDMI, both the TV and soundbar need to be HDMI-ARC enabled. Make sure you use the correct sockets, as only one will be suitable. It'll be labelled.

You'll need to go into your TV's menus, enable any relevant HDMI settings and switch from the TV's internal speakers to external/home cinema or similar in the sound menu. While you're there, check for any other audio output options and experiment with different settings if necessary.

HDMI-ARC has been around for ages so most cables support it unless they are REALLY old. eARC does require a more recent, high-spec cable though, to pass the latest audio formats like Atmos etc.

Last edited:
The type on the right should fit but needs the shape matching to insert and click home (inserting opens a hinged cover flap of the TV socket).

Page 18 of the manual refers to CEC and ARC settings and is supported on Hdmi 2 and 3, the manual says.
HDMI-CEC-ARC should be the better option as it should allow the TV remote to control the soundbar volume. But it does need enabling first.

Download User Manual Hitachi 50HK6100 TV UHD 4K Dolby Vision HDR SmarTV is one free source of said user manual.

It's a bit tricky to tell from your photo but the cable on the right looks like an optical (spdif, toslink) cable, which is the type to use.

Google 'optical spdif cable' and check the images match your cable.

Bear in mind they only fit in one way so get that right first. Also be sure to remove any protective caps (it looks like you have).
It's definitely the right cable but you can put it in the socket on the TV & rotate it, it doesn't actually fit properly. Both myself & my friend tried it

To allow audio output via HDMI, both the TV and soundbar need to be HDMI-ARC enabled. Make sure you use the correct sockets, as only one will be suitable. It'll be labelled.

You'll need to go into your TV's menus, enable any relevant HDMI settings and switch from the TV's internal speakers to external/home cinema or similar in the sound menu. While you're there, check for any other audio output options and experiment with different settings if necessary.

HDMI-ARC has been around for ages so most cables support it unless they are REALLY old. eARC does require a more recent, high-spec cable though, to pass the latest audio formats like Atmos

I will try that later, busy at the minute. I'll be back to let you know. Thanks for your time

The Optical socket only has 1 flat side which matches the flat side of the optical plug so look at them carefully (use a torch) and insert it until you feel a positive click.
The optical cable on the RHS in your pic does appear to be the right type but I have come across optical cables without a flat side which are absolutely useless.

The left cable looks like a Mini Toslink connector from that tip profile, which would also be used for Optical S/PDIF. Although TVs do tend to use the larger connector.

The Optical socket only has 1 flat side which matches the flat side of the optical plug so look at them carefully (use a torch) and insert it until you feel a positive click.
The optical cable on the RHS in your pic does appear to be the right type but I have come across optical cables without a flat side which are absolutely useless.
Thanks, I have connected it by HDMI now

It works, thanks for saving my sanity. The only problem now is that the TV speakers are on as well as the sound bar so there's a bit of an echo. I've played around with the settings but there doesn't appear to be a way to turn them off

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom