Optical Cable Connection

joealessi

Standard Member
I will be connecting my home cinema system to my flat screen tv via HDMI, do i need to connect them with an optical cable also? Or does the HDMI cable cover it? Both TV and cinema system have optical connections, both Samsung.
Many thanks in anticipation

John

Nope, HDMI will cover it . The optical port on the TV is more than likely an output anyway.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you want pseudo surround sound from the TV (tuner, network features) then you will need some form of audio connection between the TV and the home cinema system. If the TV and home cinema are new and have Audio Return Channel (ARC) then you should be able to achieve this with the HDMI cable only. If one or both don't then you will need to connect up the optical cable between the TV and home cinema.

joealessi

Standard Member
If you want pseudo surround sound from the TV (tuner, network features) then you will need some form of audio connection between the TV and the home cinema system. If the TV and home cinema are new and have Audio Return Channel (ARC) then you should be able to achieve this with the HDMI cable only. If one or both don't then you will need to connect up the optical cable between the TV and home cinema.
Oh dear, two confliciting answers (almost). Now i'm confused! The TV is a new Samsung UE46D5520 LED HD 1080p TV, 46 Inch with Built-in Freeview and the Cinema system is nothing high-end but also new, Samsung HT-D4500 Blu-ray/DVD Home Cinema System.. Any thoughts, anyone?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
According to the Samsung site, your home cinema system has ARC support but the TV doesn't:

HDMI 1.4 A/Return Ch. Support No

joealessi

Standard Member
According to the Samsung site, your home cinema system has ARC support but the TV doesn't:

HDMI 1.4 A/Return Ch. Support No
Thanks for that, I tried a couple of DVD's, one was 'Sin City', which sounded great, sound coming out of all speakers, then i tried 'This Is England 86' which was originally on Channel 4 and the sound came out only from the front centre speaker and the front left and right but not the two rear speakers, so I bought the optical cable thinking that might change things but it didn't make a blind bit of difference, the TV programme sound still comes out of the TV speaker.. And 'This Is England' was the same as before.

What is most worrying is a rather disconcerting flicker in the bottom half of the screen every 30 or 40 seconds, when connected up to the DVD player.
It only seems to happen when i set the resolution to 1080p, don't know why, the TV is 1080p

Worried..

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom