• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optical Cable: cheap and good?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Perfectly fine, imo.
You don't get good or bad digital, it either works or it doesn't.

dilfred

Established Member
Looks ok to me. Have not heard of them personally.

The biggest difference I have noticed with optical cables is that some are a better fit into the plugs in the back than others.
I found that Fisual for example are very good fit into the plugs in my TV and receiver, so would recommend them anyday.
Fisual Digital Optical Cable - 2m - Pro Install Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

As has already been said, it either works or not really. So cheap is good in most cases.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
As long as it doesn't fall apart.

Quality build is always overlooked on here by the "digital is digital" crowd.

Absolutely and indeed that's what I usually say :smashin:

But I've never known one fall apart. Have you?

I would agree with Dilfred though. Fit can vary.
Whilst some can be a tad loose, I've paid more for some cables that I've really struggled to plug in, they've been that tight. So in that sense i guess it can work both ways.
"Quality build" usually means "very expensive", that's all, imo and does nothing to add to sound quality.

You mention the "digital is digital" crowd.
Does that mean you believe some digital is better than others? :devil:

trailer

Prominent Member
I've never had an optical cable fall apart. Mind you I've always bought well built cables.
I was getting at the usual replies on threads like this with the standard "get one off eBay for 35p, it's all 1's and 0's".

There has been a few comments on here where folk have taken out an optical cable and the plug has remained in the socket in the past. With the likes of Mark Grant offering decent reasonable cables on here, and others, why take the risk?

With regard to cable fit it isn't always the cables fault. The variation in the fit of the actual socket is variable too.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I've never had an optical cable fall apart. Mind you I've always bought well built cables.
I was getting at the usual replies on threads like this with the standard "get one off eBay for 35p, it's all 1's and 0's".

There has been a few comments on here where folk have taken out an optical cable and the plug has remained in the socket in the past. With the likes of Mark Grant offering decent reasonable cables on here, and others, why take the risk?

With regard to cable fit it isn't always the cables fault. The variation in the fit of the actual socket is variable too.

That's all fair comment :smashin:

Obviously you realised I was just being mischievous ;)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom