Optical Audio Splitters

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scottx2, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to purchase an optical splitter, my current AV receiver only has 1 optical port which is currently being used by my Xbox 360. Now rather than having to constantly switch between my Xbox 360 and AppleTV, is it possible to get a 2 way optical audio splitter, which I can plugin both into, and then into the 1 port on my av receiver?

If so, are there any drawbacks to doing it? Do they auto detect which one is in use? Can anyone recommend one inparticular?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,365
    It is not a splitter you require, but a switch. There are no automatic switches on the market and you'd need to manually switch between inputs. The manual switching is one drawback, the other is that both devices share the same input on the amp and cannot therefore have specific individual settings stored.

Here is such a switch:
    HQ Optical TOSlink 3 Port Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Another option, if your amp has a spare coaxial digital input, is to use an optical to coaxial convertor for one of the devices.
    It'll negate both of the problems mentioned above.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    Although if you did want an automatic switch, here's one: Audio Authority® - 4:1 Digital Audio Autoselector.

A cheaper alternative is a switch with IR control, they can be found almost anywhere, but of course aren't automatic.

5. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this be done to a 3.5mm aux input? THats the only port I have spare at the moment. I'd obviously like to upgrade to a better AV receiver but funds won't allow at the moment.

6. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds more like what I'd be after, the auto selector you linked to is a bit out of my price range! :laugh:

Can you recommend any switchers with a IR control?

7. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I assume that the 3.5mm aux input is for an MP3 player? If so, it's an analogue input, and will only work with an analogue stereo signal. You'd need to use a DAC to convert the optical output from your source to an analogue signal, plus you'd have to make sure that the source was outputting a stereo signal in the correct format for the DAC.
    I'm sure that you want to get 5.1, so it's not suitable. You could use it with a stereo signal from the console's phono outputs.

I seem to remember looking for an IR toslink (optical) switch a while ago. Closest I could find was a video switch that could also handle optical. Wasn't cheap.

If you really want to keep the price down, look for a splitter that doesn't use a switch, just a simple "Y" connector. As long as you only have one source powered on at a time, it'll work fine.

8. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate, don't intend on using them both at the same time as they're connecting to exactly the same TV and av reciever. Cheers for the advice, looks like the simplest method will be the best for me. I'll keep an eye out.

9. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Just checked, and you can get them for £2 inc postage on eBay.

Something to check before you try it:

Make sure that the optical outputs on both devices really do switch off when the device is in standby - have a look for the red light inside the toslink socket. I've heard that some devices continue to output a signal of sorts in standby. If that's the case, you'd need to switch off at the wall.

Having both devices switched on at the same time will confuse the digital circuits in the amp, and might make some nasty noises!

10. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    That looks fine - go for it!

12. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
  13. jonnboyy69

jonnboyy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ive used an automatic optical selector with remote control for past 2 yrs from an Ebay trader based in the usa (dont be put off by his location as i received it within 12 days!!), this little box can be controlled manually or via its neat little handset.
    Personally, I use my Harmony remote to automatically change its settings when i change inputs, as this switcher also appears in its recognised devices list.

NEW 4x2 Digital Optical Toslink Audio Selector Switch | eBay

14. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Although the ebay link calls it a splitter, the seller specifically states that it's intended use is to connect 2 sources to one optical input.

15. bibbling

bibbling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought two of those cheap optical (single input - twin output) y splitters and neither have done the trick. I'm attempting to run two optical signals from my htpc - to separate amps but so far at best the split optical signal only gets to the amp on the shorter run but has totally failed to get a split signal along a 10m run. A £12 optical in-line amplifier located variously at either end and the midpoint of the 10m run have also failed to get a result.

I've tried converting the optical signals to digital coaxial and though that works I get frequent EM interference drop outs from the fridge etc - hence my quest for an optical audio solution

I guess I'm now looking for something which will take a single feed and turn that into two full power optical signals - strong enough to get along a 10m cable in the same way that an unsplit signal can.

Please does anyone have any views on the CYP AU-D12 Digital Optical Audio Splitter CYP AU-D12 Digital Optical Audio Splitter | eBay or know of a soundcard which has twin optical outputs?

Thanks

16. DC

DC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  17. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    I would not expect a mechanical splitter to work - it isn't meant to (good luck aside). By contrast the CYP AU-D12 is a properly constructed 1:2 optical distribution amplifier, and is designed to distribute a single signal to two destinations successfully.

DC linked to a CYP AU-D41 remote controlled 4 way optical switch, which works wonderfully for what it's designed to do (switch), but is useless for what you want to do (split).

18. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Things like post #10 are fine as long as you have only one of the devices powered on at a time!
    There's no need to spend much on this combining job.

19. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    Hello moderator!

There are two distinct people posting in this thread. It's admittedly awfully confusing when a second poster responds in a foreign thread with a totally different problem, but whilst Scottx2 clearly wants a switch, despite stating splitter, bibbling's rescuscitation of this thread after 6 weeks (post #15) clearly wants a splitter (one source to two amps), not a switch. As such it makes little sense to respond to bibbling as if here were Scottx2, and even worse, to provide misinformation suggesting that he could use a mechanical splitter if he merely leaves one amp powered off. ;)