Question Optical Audio Out Not Giving 5.1 Channels on my XBR65A8H

Abluesubie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Folks, this is a bit of a funny situation. I just received my brand spanking new Sony XBR65A8H. Up until now, I have been doing all my audio video streaming through my PS4. My setup was PS4 - HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V863 - HDMI -> TV (Samsung LED). With my Sony OLED showing up yesterday, I replaced my Samsung TV with the Sony. Now this Sony being a smart TV, I have hardwired it to my modem because there is no need to put the video through PS4, through Yamaha receiver to the TV. For best picture quality, ethernet is bringing both Audio and Video straight into my TV first. Now the receiver I have does not support ARC or eARC. So I have connected my Sony TV to my Yamaha receiver using an optical/Toslink cable. In theory, this should carry 5.1 channel audio from the TV to the receiver (without processing it) so my receiver can play the audio out of my 7.1 channel surround sound system. Where I am stuck is that the audio from the TV's optical out, into my Yamaha receiver over optical is only coming through as 2 channel. I have fiddled with all the settings I could on the TV but I have failed to get the TV to send 5.1 channel to the receiver over optical cable. What am I missing here. I know that ARC would carry multi channel audio from TV to the receiver and eARC will even carry lossless audio but my receiver has neither. I am willing to settle for 5.1 coming from the TV to the receiver but even that isn't happening. Does anyone else have this issue. Has anyone dealt with this problem. Do I need to adjust anything in the receiver? Please help. This is very frustrating.

Thanks

ABlueSubie

Have you changed the sound output on the TV to optical?

Upvote 0
Digital audio outConfigure the output method when outputting digital audio. This setting is available only when [Speakers] is set to [Audio system].

The volume levels between PCM and compressed audio will differ.Dolby Digital Plus outputSelect output for Dolby Digital Plus for audio systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus and ARC.

If you use ARC and optical audio out, select [Dolby Digital]. (Dolby Digital Plus will be muted over optical audio out.)

Upvote 0
Folks, this is a bit of a funny situation. I just received my brand spanking new Sony XBR65A8H. Up until now, I have been doing all my audio video streaming through my PS4. My setup was PS4 - HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V863 - HDMI -> TV (Samsung LED). With my Sony OLED showing up yesterday, I replaced my Samsung TV with the Sony. Now this Sony being a smart TV, I have hardwired it to my modem because there is no need to put the video through PS4, through Yamaha receiver to the TV. For best picture quality, ethernet is bringing both Audio and Video straight into my TV first. Now the receiver I have does not support ARC or eARC. So I have connected my Sony TV to my Yamaha receiver using an optical/Toslink cable. In theory, this should carry 5.1 channel audio from the TV to the receiver (without processing it) so my receiver can play the audio out of my 7.1 channel surround sound system. Where I am stuck is that the audio from the TV's optical out, into my Yamaha receiver over optical is only coming through as 2 channel. I have fiddled with all the settings I could on the TV but I have failed to get the TV to send 5.1 channel to the receiver over optical cable. What am I missing here. I know that ARC would carry multi channel audio from TV to the receiver and eARC will even carry lossless audio but my receiver has neither. I am willing to settle for 5.1 coming from the TV to the receiver but even that isn't happening. Does anyone else have this issue. Has anyone dealt with this problem. Do I need to adjust anything in the receiver? Please help. This is very frustrating.

Thanks

ABlueSubie

I am having the exact same issue with a Yamaha HTR-5740 and Sony XBR65A8H. I am going from the Sony optical out to the optical in in the Yamaha. I get the audio in 2 channel but not 5.1.

Did you ever make any progress?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom