• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optical and Coax outputs

Black 5

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to educate myself - can anyone explain in words of one syllable why coax might be a better solution than optical? Ta, Brian

Ettepet

one syllable?

Hmm...

I discovered that using "cheap" optical I get 90% fidelity straight away. With a regular coax I get maybe 70-80% and with a good (expensive) coax I'm now getting around 95%**. YMMV..

The reasons have to do with quality of parts, inherent superiority of coax (more bandwidth) and the limits of the optical converters.

While coax s/pdiff is superior in principal, it is also more prone to cavots because of bad connectors, unmatched impedance of cables and parts and noise issues caused by electrical coupling of source and pre/pro. A good coax cable has (far) less of these issues.

** I know there are better cables. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom