Opted for the Panasonic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Having completed an exhaustive study of the available DVD recorders from just about every source imaginable I have finally decided that I will go down the route of the Panasonic Ram recorder. The consensus seems to be that whereas it may in the end not win out to DVD+RW it is nonetheless the ideal replacement for the home video recorder. What really swung it for me apart from the versatility of the medium i.e. time slip, superior record quality etc. was the way it handles disk space. I did not realise with the Philips unit that whilst you can delete watched or unwanted material, the machine does not automatically re-use the space created by the deletion. In fact it works very similar to a video tape recorder in that one has to cue the machine to the available space and make very sure that what you intend to record is not longer than the deleted space. If it is, then like video tape recorders the machine will overwrite whatever happens to come next on the disk. Not what you want to happen to your favourite program right in the middle of the disk - again just the same bind as with video tape. The Panasonic however simply locates available space without overwriting your favourite programme. Also you can still archive to a -R disk which can be used in almost all other DVD equipment. I am sure others will not agree with my choice and will have some comments of their own, which I am sure will have similar validity.

:)

2. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the same as you and came to the same conclusion. Had the panny for a few weeks now and I'm very, very happy with it.

3. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likewise I bought the DMR E30 a few weeks ago and am over the moon with it.

I went into a Panasonic retailers yesterday though looking for a standalone that will play dvd-ram and we got on to the subject of the E30's replacement the E50.

The salesman stated that there aren't that many E30's left now and that the replacement E50 (which will sell at about the same price as the E30) is a chopped down version of the E30 with cheaper components. Apparently they're having to cut costs as they are losing money on every E30 they sell in order to compete with Phillips.

I don't know how true this is, but if it is true I would say now is a good time to get hold of the E30.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Panasonic models are top pieces of kit. I'm just awaiting delivery of the DMR-HS2 but when it arrives that and my DMRE20 should see me thorugh until the arrival of Blu Ray (or whatever).

I think DVD+RW is becoming quite popular with joe public (due to price) but for Home Cinema the editing facilities, flexible recording mode and the extreme durability/reliability of DVD-RAM disks has to make it the better option.

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am waiting untill the universal format is decided, my father works in the industry. And has said that it will all be decided in about two months, so ill hang on untill then.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I don't think any one of the three recordable formats will become the outright winner in the DVD Recorder format war. A number of PC Magazines pushed forward three reasons for this:

1) All three formats are also used by computer hardware - not just in domestic PC burners but also in backup solutions etc. Therefore media for all three formats will continue to be available (meaning none will become obsolete).

2) The write once media, be it -R or +R, guarantees that all the DVD recorders can record titles that play on most other DVD players. Certainly the percentage of players able to play such disks is increasing.

3) The lifespan of all the recorders will be nowhere in the region of VHS. In four or five years new high capacity recording solutions will be available. Thus any of the three types of recorder will not have time to die.

Personally I would also add a fourth:
    4) People like us, who care about the quality of the recordings made and the flexibility of the machines, will continue to have different requirements that are met by different machines.

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Faust. Very very wise choice. I wouldn't be to sure the the plus +R format will win over the RAM/-R format. You have spotted the reasons why not to go the + route and so will others in time.

I think both formats will co-exhist until something along the lines of Blu-ray knocks them both out.:D

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    And to add to the above the Panasonic hs2 is even better. I thought i would be using the -ram discs more but so far all work has been done by the hard disc with archiving as required straight to -r discs which can be played by most machines.
    I reckon the only use for the -ram discs is to hold programs for later viewing when the hard drive is getting full, or oerhaps for storing jpegs etc until there is enough to fill a whole -r disc.

This machine seems to be the ideal personal recorder solution with no monthly fee to pay.

As long as -r media is available it will remain the best solution

9. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Geezer. Your father thinks a universal format will be decided in the next couple of months!!!!:D . Me thinks he should lay off that whisky or perhaps come back down on to planet earth.......No chance.....no chance at all that a universal format will be decided in two months. You will be old and grey and a couple a thousand years old if you wait for that to happen.:D :D

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Afraid I have to agree with that. Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer will continue to push there respective products. Next year they will be joined by Toshiba, JVC and Hitachi for -RAM with Sony and HP for +RW. Thus nothing is going to be decided anytime soon - if your holding off purchasing a DVD Recorder until the "format war" is over then you could find yourself waiting until Blu Ray turns up. Whatever unit you buy it's not going to become a 'Betamax' due to the right once media!

11. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have always been a big fan of Panasonic equipment and continue to be so. And I am sure that the E30 is a fantastic piece of kit. The Philips +R/+RW recorder remains an excellent system, it is simple to use and speedy in operation and flexible in use with other DVD players.

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Does anyone know why the DMR E30 is being superseded by the DMR E40 and what if any the differences will be? I have looked at the Avland website where it gives the spec for both and I cannot see any difference. Is the E40 going to be a cheapened version i.e. in terms of quality to the E30?

13. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

That's the second time I've read on these board that the E30 is about to be discontinued (and I still don't have the E30 - urgh).

Any firm news on that and when?

Will they discount the the E30 to get rid of them? I saw refurb'd E20 at a Panasonic shop for 400.

I can see why they may want to do it tho - if they are loosing market share to the Philips they may want to reposition themselves as the cheaper more accessible model.

Mark

14. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason they are doing it is that they are currently (according to the salesman) losing money on every machine they are selling so they have to reduce their costs to stay competitive - the only way they can do this is by fitting cheaper components in a newer machine>

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :D :D Ahhhhhh the wonderful world of the "salesman". I can just imagine a reputable manufacturer like Panasonic filling there machines with "cheap" components and risking there present excellent quality reputation. I don't think!!!

What salesmen don't know thay invent like all proffessional bullxxxxxrs. :D :D

16. Falconer

Falconer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I subscribe to the view that a hard disk is essential - since, from what i've read, one simply cannot rely 100% on dvd media to record without it bombing out on occasion :(

Anyhow, I am surprised to read there will be an E40 already... so as I was considering buying an HS2 I thought I'd better look to see if there might be an HS3 on the horizon - and look what I found...

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmrhs3/

I like the idea of the larger HD so I hope that it will maintain the same build quality as the HS2. Then again, I cannot find any other evidence of this machine being on the way so perhaps I should be somewhat sceptical of the specs...

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    160GB does seem a very large HDD - even the Toshiba HDD/DVD-RAM combo only has 80GB. I was under the impression that such large HDD were not yet considered suitable for stand alone products (due to a combination of speed, noise, cooling and reliability).

18. neekey

neekey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What more could you want than a HS2, the 40 gig hd is great more than enough capacity for normal use, add th that the dvd ram and dvd-r disks, for the average user like me it has everything.

Ian

19. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Presumably someone will work out how to upgrade the hs2 anyway, I have already seen an internet article about putting in a larger drive, but it still only saw the same original capacity. Must need a software update to use a larger disc. The spec of the proposed HS£ otherwise looks identical to the HS2.

20. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Am I a happy bunny or what? I have taken the plunge and bought the DMR E30. I did need some assistance in finding out how to connect both my Sky digi box and my VCR into the loop, but that has now been resolved and everything is working fine. I cannot get over how user friendly this unit is, and apart from the HS2 with the hard drive this must be the best option for replacing the domestic VCR. I cannot get over the fact that one can watch a programme already recorded whilst the unit is recording something else, plus chasing playback and timeslip facility etc. The record quality is first class too. I am very pleased I chose the DMR E30 in preference to the Philips. By the way, I have had a response from Panasonic re: the E30 replacement and have been told it will definitely be called the DMR E50.

:D

21. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Faust. Glad you are so pleased with the E30. You have every right to be....... Interesting about the jump from E30 to E50 for the new model from the horses mouth so to speak. But I still wonder!!! Why? About a month before the Panasonic E20 eventually arrived here in Britain. I e-mailed Panasonic to ask them when they would be releasing a DVD recorder here. The reply was that they had no plans to release a DVD recorder in the UK in the near future. (4 weeks later it was on the shelves) So the replies from Panny can be a bit iffy...... We shall see.. :D

22. ijhammo

ijhammo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi All

I am new to the group, so I will start with 'Happy New Year!!'

I bought an HS2 just before Christmas and I cannot not begin to say how pleased I am with it!! Being able to Timeslip and record/view at the same time from different sources is just superb!

As for the HS3 talked about on avland.co.uk, as said previously the specs look exactly the same as the HS2 except for the size of the HD. Me personally, I can't see myself needing more than the 17 hours (at SP) that the 40Gb Hard disk gives me.. Not even over the Xmas period, and believe me, I tried!!

Moving on to the DVD-RAM/RW debate, I found this article which was quite interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118

Of course, at the end of the day it is down to features and budget. I decided to buy a DVD recorder, did the research and bought what I thought was best at the time.. If I had waited for the next best thing, I would still be waiting in 10 years time!!

Cheers

Ian