Question Opportunity to purchase limited edition full size Darth Vadar and Stormtrooper - advice needed

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the opportunity to purchase either a full size Darth Vadar (7ft) or a Stormtrooper (6ft).

The Darth Vadar is a 1996 limited edition Pro Replica made by Rubie Costume Co, Inc, taken from The Empire Strikes Back number 379 out of 500 made.

The Stormtrooper is a 1997 edition from Don Post Studios, number 327 which was taken from a New Hope.

I have attached photos, but have no idea on valuation of these. Both are very rare by all accounts and do look very impressive.

Any suggestion on value or pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo 5-26-17, 10 44 43.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 44 43.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
  • Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 26.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 26.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 307
  • Photo 5-26-17, 10 44 06.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 44 06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 293
  • Photo 5-26-17, 10 45 39.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 45 39.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294
  • Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 36.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 36.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
  • Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 40.jpg
    Photo 5-26-17, 10 50 40.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 324
He's open to offers, but think he is looking for around £10-12k both both of them.

Can I say, although I have the opportunity to buy them, I'm not massively bothered if I don't.

It they are a potential long term investment opportunity (I'm thinking the 50th anniversary), then that is something I would consider. They'd look good in my cinema room for the next 10 years......

If however, the prices are unrealistic, it would be good to know.

Thanks

Mark

Ignoring the investment bit for a moment and just looking at your point about being in your cinema room, why don't you just buy a replica stormtrooper outfit from the place that made the original armour for A New Hope? They are under 2k and you could just get a mannequin to put it on. The bonus being you could actually put it on too if you wished. I'm a big star wars fan but sorry, 10-12k seems like a heck of a lot of money for some big dolls no matter how rare they are. For that sort of price I'd expect Darth Vader to make me dinner every night and the Stormtrooper to drive me to work.

Original Stormtrooper Ultimate Combo Deal

Ignoring the investment bit for a moment and just looking at your point about being in your cinema room, why don't you just buy a replica stormtrooper outfit from the place that made the original armour for A New Hope? They are under 2k and you could just get a mannequin to put it on. The bonus being you could actually put it on too if you wished. I'm a big star wars fan but sorry, 10-12k seems like a heck of a lot of money for some big dolls no matter how rare they are. For that sort of price I'd expect Darth Vader to make me dinner every night and the Stormtrooper to drive me to work.

Original Stormtrooper Ultimate Combo Deal

Weirdly I can buy them through my business as a non-depreciating asset (as it is a collectors item), so they wouldn't theoretically cost me anything unless I sold them for a lower value a some point down the line, hence why I need to know if they are value for money or not. If I was to buy a stormtrooper outfit as suggested, I would have to buy it myself (as it would depreciate), meaning it would cost me personally £2000, meaning I would be worse off.

Ah I see. Well I guess unless the person selling them needs to, they are probably priced at above market value so they make a profit. Personally I have no idea how much they should be worth but I imagine with things like this they are worth a lot because of the quality and detail (and size obviously) but if someone is able to make better ones, these would surely drop like a stone because they are not actual props, just replicas. In other words they are valued based on currently being interesting (but that could change depending on new production methods and skill) and not because they are unique. Based on that and the fact you're not hugely bothered, I'd offer him what you'd be happy to pay to have them in your cinema as cool curios rather than investments and see what he says.

Just taken a look at sideshow collectibles. There is a full sized stormtrooper there for £6200 and a full size Darth Vader for £7000. So £13,000 in total and they are brand new. I think I'd be nervous about spending that sort of money or the value you've been offered (for many reasons) but partly because you're not buying something that is unique or special. It's very, very cool, but there's no special reason for it to necessarily go up in value as far as I can see. That Stormtrooper and Darth Vader is going to look either the same or very similar to others by a decent production house and based on that, why would I specifically buy one over the other? Only because it represented better value, i.e.: cheaper, and once that is the reason to buy one over the other, your profit will only be going downwards as newer versions come out.

Hiya.
As a HUGE Stormtrooper fan, I'd personally stay well away from the one you've seen. It's incredibly inaccurate compared with the originals. So much so, I have no idea how they had the nerve to sell them! I've attached a picture comparing the Don Post to a screen used original. There really is no comparison.

If you're after an accurate replica helmet and armour, I'd suggest skipping Originalstormtrooper.com (Andrew Ainsworth) and check out RS Prop Masters. As someone who owns an Ainsworth Stormtrooper and owned and Ainsworth Tie Pilot, I've studied them a lot over the years and RS certainly have the edge. They are much better value and actually cast from a screen used set of armour and screen used helmet. More accurate than Ainsworth.
Google StarWarsHelmets.com and check out the Stormtrooper section. You'll see the huge differences between the brands.
Hope that helps a little.
:)

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    906.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Always tied Rubies stuff in with their horrible fancy dress costumes they sell, including Star Wars.

Don Post has a better rep, but this was due to them being licensed back in the day when no one else made replicas. They don't stand up at all well to actual screen used - but i can't comment on them being a decent investment.

Andrew Ainsworth's stuff is a can of worms, i wouldn't touch his stuff due to the lies. He owned a vac former at the time - end of. How he claims anything more is beyond me. But that's sidetracking.

Good luck with your decision.

The Darth Vader looks alright but the Stormtrooper is simply awful.

For 2.5k you could buy accurate parts and throw it on a mannequin and build your own base...here is my WIP although I will be wearing it for 501st troops.
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG

Agree with everything said about the trooper, ive own a few buckets , and the one pictured looks way off to me also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom