Oppo vs Pioneer 575 vs Samsung HD745

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PJTX100, Sep 7, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Took delivery of the Oppo DVD player this morning at around 10am, only 23 hours after ordering it from ITSupplies.net. Thumbs up for this company. Just over £170 delivered.

Anyone familiar with my comments on the DVD forum will know my admiration for the Pioneer 575, and my suspicion of upscaling DVD players. For £99 the Pioneer provides astonishing PQ via component, the clarity and purity of the picture on the PJTX100 is fantastic. BNR on, detail to fine - it is a stellar performer on a big PJ image.

However, lured by all this HD upscaling mularky, and a temptingly spare DVI input on the back of the TX100, I bought a Samsung HD745 a while back. Though a beautiful looking player the DVI performance was far too soft for me and was out-shone by the Pioneer 575 in all respects – to the extent I simply wasn't using the Samsung!

Of course the sensible thing to do is wait for true HD players. But when has sensible ever come into it? Hence more wonga was splashed out for the Oppo, my brother is buying the 745 which I'm sure will look fine on his new Hitachi plasma.

It is with some irony that I unpacked the Oppo and switched it on, progressively realising how genetically similar the machine seems to be to the Cambridge Audio DVD79 which I unceremoniously returned to Richer for replacement by the Pioneer. Certainly the menus look similar, as does the nifty blue bag it comes wrapped in. Looks-wise the CA machine gets the nod though somehow for me the Oppo looks better stacked with the Pio 575 - the Cambridge looked awkward with that overhang plate effect.

Anyway, onto the performance. Early days, but I can tell you this player will certainly get plenty of use. The picture is quite fantastic. With my penchant for sharp images I was expecting to ramp up the sharpness – not needed though. Even with sharpness set to “off” the picture has even more clarity than the Pioneer. Colours are vivid, panning is much smoother than the Samsung. The 720p setting seems to have the slight edge but they all look pretty excellent. The image is very slightly "granier" than the Pio, though if I turn BNR off on the latter it swings completely the other way. But the clarity/sharpness is wow!

I did A/B comparisons with two copies of Apollo 13 I have. I then watched bits from an R3 Incredibles and R2 I Robot. Both excellent DVD's in terms of PQ and I was well pleased with the outcome. The audio, also, was fantastic. The Oppo has many more options to explore especially on the audio side.

In summary, from what I've seen so far I have finally found a player which matches, in fact surpasses, the Pioneer. It is just over £70 more of course, hence the Pioneer remains a fantastic bargain IMHO. But for once I think the hype over the Oppo is justified. It may look a bit like a plastic Aldi special, but the picture quality is what counts. And in that dept, I'd be surprised if there was anything in the price range to match it. And vs the Samsung it really is a no-contest on a big screen (I'd imagine on a plasma it is less of a difference).

IMHO if you want to try out a HD upscaler, and have DVI/HDMI, the Oppo is the one to go for at present. If you are happy with component, the Pioneer is the one. Both great machines.

As for the Cambridge DVD79 - perhaps I was too hasty. If it has the same guts (has it got the Faroujda processing etc?) as the Oppo and if CA provide firmware updates akin to Oppo (to fix the lip sync issues) then maybe it's going to be another winner. And purchasing from Richer has its advantages too...PJ :)

2. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your comments on the Oppo! I really was waiting for those! :thumbsup:

So do you really think the difference between the Oppo and the DVD79 will be in the availability of firmware updates? I definitely would buy the DVD79 (because I already own a 540R receiver and it would look much better, since the guts are the same...) but I can't find anywhere information about a possible firmware update for the DVD79 :( I even posted a few messages in the CA forum but I can't get no answer from anyone (not even the guru) :(

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think I've read on this forum that the Oppo firmware updates work on the CA DVD79. But do your own checking first! If the looks of the player are important then the DVD79 is probably the one to go for. I never thought I'd ever recommend the DVD79 after trying out its component output - it really was poor in that respect. But it looks like all the "neat stuff" has been reserved for the DVI output. The Oppo will look "cheap" next to your other CA equipment but the picture quality is outstanding...PJ :)

4. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJTX100, when you owned the DVD79, have you tried out the DVI output? How do you compare it to your new Oppo DVI output? And can you please run a test on your Oppo component outs and check if it is better than the DVD79 component outs?

And what about sound, how do you compare the two?

Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just confirmed that the "insides" are the same on both players.
    check this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=496489&highlight=dvd79

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    No I didn't. I'd expect them to be the same though, albeit the DVD79 would have had early firmware hence lip sync issues.

Again I'd expect the component from the Oppo to be as poor, do not buy this machine for anything other than DVI!

Also the sound on the Oppo is excellent and I'd expect it to be the same on the DVD79.

...PJ :)

6. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your post! :thumbsup: