Oppo vs HTPC for 1080 Mkv Streaming

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AidenL, Feb 28, 2014.

1. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    Just have been wondering,assuming usage of 1080 Mkv rips, will there be any difference in picture quality if streamed via an Oppo or via a HTPC.

Reading online, many say you should use Madvr or similar programmes to set up a HTPC just right, but I assume that may be for actual physical disc playback on a HTPC.

I assume the main benefit of the Oppo cup is upscaling DVDs, but that it may or may not be of benefit to a streamed Mkv?

Anyone able to clarify this?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Which Oppo? It makes a difference as to what it can do.

I have a BDP-93 and it can't stream mkv with lossless audio. Well DTS-MA will play the standard DTS track and unless you have a separate DD track then TrueHD won't play anything.

If it's 1080p and you haven't recompressed it then I don't see as you'd get a difference.

For streaming DVD rips you'll get the same picture processing as if you played the DVD itself, it's one of the reasons I bought the Oppo :)

3. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    The 103.

I didn't know it wouldn't stream HD from Mkv actually.

I do have some ripped DVDs but rarely watch them.

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    The 103 should be fine with HD audio in mkv containers as well, the 93 can't do it so I end up using m2ts for those :)

Yep, perfectly fine, I stream everything via DLNA using Serviio on my PC and the Oppo is just fine.

5. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    Ok, back to this again, many do say that you need to use MPC HC and MadVr to ensure that picture quality is as good on a Htpc as on a dedicated player, for colour space adjustment and so on.

I know a lossless rip gives us the same file as on an original Blu-ray Disc, but what about the different chips, software involved in delivering the files?

I suppose basically I'm asking is basic Mkv playback via XBMC on a Htpc as good as a Blu-ray Disc played on an Oppo, and also, how does that compare to an Mkv of that same disc streamed via the Oppo, compared to streamed via XBMC?

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Many say? Who says? Pretty much all video card drivers have lots of control over this stuff, never mind the playback software. The PC is the same as any other Blu-Ray player, it's just the software doing the decoding and display in a dedicated player is in a chip and you're fairly limited with tweaking.

An MKV streamed to the Oppo will be the same as if the disc was playing. Oppo confirmed it used the same video processing to me, although I wanted the deinterlacing/scaling that the Oppo is good at.

If you want to try and find differences on a pixel by pixel basis then feel free, it's your time.

7. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    You are missing my point though - color space settings and so on need to be set on a HTPC don't they? Manually, using renderers outside of the HTPC.

I know BR playback and mkv playback on the Oppo will be the same.

8. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    What point am I missing? What do you mean "outside the HTPC"? You set it all using either the playback software or the drivers for the gfx card. How is this any different to setting it in the options screens in a standalone player?

9. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    Seems very different to me,as I wouldn't have to install MPC HC or Madvr on a bluray player to ensure the picture was optimised.

I'm not arguing here, I'm curious.

Oh, and just clarifying, I'm using XBMC and its been said that MPC HC with Madvr is a better player than the XBMC player. That's really what Im asking, in a roundabout way - does the XBMC player produce a worse pic than the Oppo, like for like, basic settings.

I know you will say, correctly, tweak both and they will be of equal quality I'm guessing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014