Oppo Virgin needs advice!

SamF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, be gentle.... I have looked and can't really find a definitive comparison list especially when I want to know about the 93, 95, 103 and 105.

Simply put, what are the differences between them?

I watch a lot of blu's and regularly 3D, not sure of the benefits of multi region ..... Which one would be the best choice and also, would it be too risky buying second hand from someone on the forums here?

TIA

Hi all, be gentle.... I have looked and can't really find a definitive comparison list especially when I want to know about the 93, 95, 103 and 105.

Simply put, what are the differences between them?

I watch a lot of blu's and regularly 3D, not sure of the benefits of multi region ..... Which one would be the best choice and also, would it be too risky buying second hand from someone on the forums here?

TIA

The xx5 models are designed to cater for those requiring higher performance analogue audio output. The video platform is the same between the 3/5 in their respective range. If you connect via HDMI only the analogue stage offers no benefit and that would suggest the 93 or 103.

The 93/95 is the previous generation to the current 103/105 models. The 103/105 introduce some additional new features primarily aimed at improved external media support, additional format support and the option to connect an external source allowing the player to act as a DAC. Using HDMI audio output from the player means it would not be performing DAC so some of these additional features are moot.

The new range also removes some features and adds some DRM that could be avoided on the 93/95.

I don't think there is undue risk buying second hand from the forum providing you follow forum buying advice.

Avi

Last edited:
Thank you for the extremely useful information - as I will be connecting using HDMI the analogue option would be of no use, as you say, so a 93 or 103 it is.

I do have one quick question, and one I don't think it really is relevant, but I noticed there are all sorts of Multiregion hacks etc on all models. The chances of me purchasing 'other region' disks or importing I think would be slim so I guess they would be of no benefit, but is there anything else that this adds as features are concerned?

Does anyone know how often Oppo release a new model range? reason I ask is if they are planning to release in the next few months the prices of the 103 will no doubt drop slightly, there will also be upgradeaholics - so maybe a few more 2nd hand 103s around...

Thanks again Avi, really helped me in understanding and making a decision, so far a 103 :clap:

I do have one quick question, and one I don't think it really is relevant, but I noticed there are all sorts of Multiregion hacks etc on all models. The chances of me purchasing 'other region' disks or importing I think would be slim so I guess they would be of no benefit, but is there anything else that this adds as features are concerned?:clap:

Some have talked about additional features on some of the "Pro" style mods but to the best of my knowledge nothing has materialised beyond maybe firmeware retrograding. It's also possible to purchase multi-region mods for pretty simple DIY fit.

Does anyone know how often Oppo release a new model range? reason I ask is if they are planning to release in the next few months the prices of the 103 will no doubt drop slightly, there will also be upgradeaholics - so maybe a few more 2nd hand 103s around...

Going by Oppo's track record the cycle is approx 20 months give of take. Obviously external factors may influence this such as new features driven by the industry. HDMI v2 is looming so this may be a trigger for update or new products.

Avi

Last edited:
Awesome Avi, thanks. I will be returning my current bluray due to faults that are continuing to plague me, will have to throw a few more ££ in to the pot and get myself an oppo. Thanks again for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom