Question Oppo UDP 203 - General Questions

IanJF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if some of these items have been discussed before but I just wanted to clarify and group 2 or 3 together etc. I recently picked up the Opportunity UDP 203 player. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but my initial findings are very positive - it is playing absolutely every video file I have on my NAS system including 4K MKVs etc. Also files that my 4K LG OLED TV and Mede8er struggled with.

My questions are as follows:

• I can find my NAS NFS Share under 'NETWORK' menu. However, I then have to navigate through several folders etc., to get to my 'Movies' folder. Is there any possible way to set my Movies NFS Folder to be a location in Favourites, within the OPPO 'Favourites' section?
  • When the 203 sees all my Movie Folders inside my NAS NFS Share, they all appear as just Blue folders. Is there any way to get pictures and metadata into the 203 for all Media etc?
  • I have a Marantz Receiver (SR7008 - Non 4K Compatible). So I have my 203 setup with the main HDMI OUT running up to my LG 4K TV and the AUDIO OUT HDMI running to my Marantz Amp. Would I be better off, using the 5.1/7.1 Analog Outputs of the 203 into the 5.1/7.1 Analog Inputs of the Marantz Receiver to take advantage of the Oppo DAC which I imagine is a lot better than the Marantz SR7008 DAC? Is there any downsides to doing this? I have a separate Oppo Headphone DAC and absolutely Love It, so I was happy to see the DAC in the 203 and reckon this is what I should use for playing ALL Movies and ALL Music etc. (My Mede8er will be retired).
  • When Listening to HiRes Music via the Oppo (at present via HDMI) - is it best to just listen to the HR Music in a Stereo Mode? Same when connected with Analog connections?
  • Last Q - Does anyone have any recommended 'best' settings for connecting the 203 to an LG B6 OLED 4K TV?
Thanks a lot for your time.

Best Regards,
Ian.

I don't use mine as a network player, exactly because of that I like having meta data displayed etc. There is no better disc player in my opinion but many other ways to play digital files.

The easiest way I would shorted the NFS path is to share it at the right point ;) Why give the end point device access so high up in the folder structure. Simply share it at the Movies point and job done :)

I'd keep it digital and bitstream the audio.

On my C6 I've just kept it to automatic. It will pick up the details correct and switches easily between the various modes and settings.

i have just got one and i am having no end of trouble getting my denon 6300 and jvc x5000 to recognise it,awful digital handshake issues, i play one file and then once i try to switch to something else just a blank screen, even turning everything off and on and switching between inputs dont solve it,i know the oppos fine as i dont have a problem on my tv, any clues, wires are all 4k compatible

>I have a Marantz Receiver (SR7008 - Non 4K Compatible). So I have my 203 setup with the main >HDMI OUT running up to my LG 4K TV and the AUDIO OUT HDMI running to my Marantz Amp. >Would I be better off, using the 5.1/7.1 Analog Outputs of the 203 into the 5.1/7.1 Analog Inputs >of the Marantz Receiver to take advantage of the Oppo DAC which I imagine is a lot better than >the Marantz SR7008 DAC? Is there any downsides to doing this? I have a separate Oppo >Headphone DAC and absolutely Love It, so I was happy to see the DAC in the 203 and reckon this ?is what I should use for playing ALL Movies and ALL Music etc. (My Mede8er will be retired).

The Oppo 203 does not have the Advanced DACs as per the 205. There you will little/no difference HMDI or Analog. The Analog route with movies will loose the Atmos option if that of interest for you.

Had you purchased a 205 then for music using the Oppo's analog would be the only real justification over the 203, but in general upgrading DACs offers slight improvements.

You can try it out with your Oppo Headphone amp and see what you think.

I have a connection question.

I'm trying to minimize the number of HDMI runs between my TV and connected devices. Admittedly, I don't have a crazy high end setup and thus some limitations apply.

If I were to connect the Oppo main HDMI to my Samsung KS9000 with my ARC return connected to my Bose Soundtouch 130 would the audio pass through to the Bose from the TV as it does coming direct from the Smart TV functions? Or would I have to run main HDMI to TV and then a secondary HDMI (on audio out) to the Bose?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom