Question Oppo UDP 203 - Best Settings ! ?

Repoman666

Standard Member
Hello Everyone / Anyone.
Just wanted to know if anyone has any recommened settings for the Oppo 203 4K blu-ray player that is linked to the excellent Panasonic TX-65HZ2000.
What I mean is within the Oppo's many possible settings there are some that allow "Source Direct" or "TV Led" .
I have everything has it comes which is mostly on "Auto" -
I have only changed 3 of the settings as follows : TARGET LUMINANCE to 1000 nits and under that the HDR TO SDR MODE to Mode 2.
I have also changed the CUSTOM RESOLUTION to UHD Auto . . . . . . . Have I done right or wrong on any of these settings ??
- please forgive this old man's ignorance :)

I obviously want to get the absolute best out of this Oppo 203 and Panasonic HZ2000 combination !!

Thank you kindly to anyone with any advice and Happy Christmas & a much better New Year To Everyone.!!!

mtenga

Distinguished Member

DT79

You want the Oppo set to Source Direct and Dolby Vision setting to TV-Led.

IntelliVolume

Be aware, however, that if you choose the Oppo's SOURCE DIRECT option, the video will be coming off the discs as-is (their native resolution) and your display will be upscaling all content below 4K to 2160P.

I owned a BDP-83, Oppo's first Blu-ray player (still have it but it needs some repair work), and the upconversion for DVDs to 1080P was absolutely incredible because of that unit's Anchor Bay processor. I'm not sure about the 203/205's MediaTek chipset in terms of whether the DVD and Blu-ray upscaling to 4K is sensational or not, but when I had my Cambridge Audio CXUHD hooked up to my Samsung 4K display (the Cambridge is a clone of the Oppo 203), the upscaling for regular DVDs was significantly better than what I'm seeing with my current Panasonic UB9000.

So if you want your 203 to do the scaling for DVD and Blu-ray to 4K (if you watch discs with these lower resolutions), you don't want to use the SOURCE DIRECT in the player.

DT79

Be aware, however, that if you choose the Oppo's SOURCE DIRECT option, the video will be coming off the discs as-is (their native resolution) and your display will be upscaling all content below 4K to 2160P.

I owned a BDP-83, Oppo's first Blu-ray player (still have it but it needs some repair work), and the upconversion for DVDs to 1080P was absolutely incredible because of that unit's Anchor Bay processor. I'm not sure about the 203/205's MediaTek chipset in terms of whether the DVD and Blu-ray upscaling to 4K is sensational or not, but when I had my Cambridge Audio CXUHD hooked up to my Samsung 4K display (the Cambridge is a clone of the Oppo 203), the upscaling for regular DVDs was significantly better than what I'm seeing with my current Panasonic UB9000.

So if you want your 203 to do the scaling for DVD and Blu-ray to 4K (if you watch discs with these lower resolutions), you don't want to use the SOURCE DIRECT in the player.
He’s basically got the best TV money can buy (and with a newer design than the Oppo). No harm experimenting of course, but as a starting point I’d expect the TV to be best.

Repoman666

Standard Member
Thank You Gentlemen for your guidence and input, Much Appreciated.

If anyone else has the OPPO 203 4K Player linked to a Panasonic 65 HZ2000 TV please feel free to
let me know what you think are the best settings for this set-up - within the OPPO and even within
the TV............Talking of which I came accross an omline site called flatpanelsHD and they had some calibration settings for many TVs that they have reviewed and the list of TVs included the HZ2000.
Calibration setting where on the Professional 2 picture mode -
here is the link =

DT79

If anyone else has the OPPO 203 4K Player linked to a Panasonic 65 HZ2000 TV please feel free to
let me know what you think are the best settings for this set-up - within the OPPO and even within
the TV............Talking of which I came accross an omline site called flatpanelsHD and they had some calibration settings for many TVs that they have reviewed and the list of TVs included the HZ2000.
here is the link =
Having paid out for that TV, I’d be getting a professional calibration done!

IntelliVolume

He’s basically got the best TV money can buy (and with a newer design than the Oppo). No harm experimenting of course, but as a starting point I’d expect the TV to be best.
No doubt he should experiment, and I have no doubt about that TV's performance; I've always preferred to let my disc players upscale content, but it's totally experience dependent and preference.

I was merely explaining the difference to him in case he thought he should only use the Source Direct option...;)

IntelliVolume

here is the link =
When you mention "settings within the OPPO," are you referring to the picture adjustments? If so, it's usually agreed that these should be left on "0," the middle default settings, unless you like to tinker with something like Noise Reduction (which I do, for DVD playback). Otherwise, you're better off tweaking at the TV/display end and getting those settings right (Contrast, Color, etc.).

Other than that, you may be okay with everything else in the 203 being set to AUTO, unless you want to fiddle with stripping HDR metadata from discs (I don't think that applies to you with your high end display, though).

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom