OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Try clearing the persistent storage. It’s an option in the Device Settings menu. Make sure you select the internal flash option.
Dont know if that gets cleared when you do the factory reset but no harm in trying it.
Thanks but this also hasn't solved my problem.

Hello, can anyone help me please.
My player has started to lose the sound on some of my blu ray disc but 4K is fine.
Sometimes I can put the blu ray disc back in after 4K and it works again!
Anyone else have this trouble?
Also I have one disc that will not play at all but has in the past! It says disc unrecognisable. The disc is mint.

I have experienced this problem with bluray discs also, my solution is to 8pull the power from the Oppo and restart.
Fingers crossed this has worked each time.
It is not a continuous problem with maybe one bluray disc in 20/30 giving this issue.

I have experienced this problem with bluray discs also, my solution is to 8pull the power from the Oppo and restart.
Fingers crossed this has worked each time.
It is not a continuous problem with maybe one bluray disc in 20/30 giving this issue.
Sorry can I ask what does 8pull the power mean?

Hi folks. First time here. Just want to see if anyone has seen this issue before. I have had UDP-203 since 2018, running latest firmware, and it has been flawless in that time. But just lately I have noticed that the picture from DVDs has shifted 25-30mm to the right leaving a black bar down the left side. It is happening with video from an external SSD drive too. The same DVD plays perfectly on my old Panasonic DVD player. I have left both the TV and player unplugged and will have a look again some hours later .

Hi folks. First time here. Just want to see if anyone has seen this issue before. I have had UDP-203 since 2018, running latest firmware, and it has been flawless in that time. But just lately I have noticed that the picture from DVDs has shifted 25-30mm to the right leaving a black bar down the left side. It is happening with video from an external SSD drive too. The same DVD plays perfectly on my old Panasonic DVD player. I have left both the TV and player unplugged and will have a look again some hours later .
Fired it up again just now and the problem seems to be gone. It seems that just SD was affected, BR was OK. FYI.

ok just saw thread I should move to. Sorry everyone

As you can see I've deleted a number of answers regarding ripping films. It's off topic but pushing the boundaries as to what is allowed.

What I can't understand is why don't Oppo licence out the 203/5 hardware and firmware spec to a third party and let someone else badge and sell them. That way they get some money back on something they are personally no longer interested in and we can all get to buy something we trust for when our 203 or 205 eventually fails and also there is then hope that the firmware development could go further. I for one would clamour for a graphical interface to the media player side of it. The one thing these great machines are missing IMO.

The one thing that is missing to make the 203 perfect for me is gapless audio playback over DLNA

The one thing that is missing to make the 203 perfect for me is gapless audio playback over DLNA
I can play all my music on my network using the Oppo and it's gapless. That's with the Oppo pulling the music from my network. If you are pushing music at the Oppo using an external player like Emby or such then it's up to the external player to render the stream as gapless. Not a lot the Oppo can do if the sending device isn't sending a gapless stream.

I use JRiver to send my music to various DLNA renders most of which play gapless fine.
The problem is the 203 does not support the SetNext command that is required to make DLNA playback gapless. If they implemented this gapless would work over DLNA on the 203.

I would be willing to use Roon to achieve gapless playback but Oppo's implementation of RAAT does not support DSD or multichannel music which are essentials for me.

I use JRiver to send my music to various DLNA renders most of which play gapless fine.
The problem is the 203 does not support the SetNext command that is required to make DLNA playback gapless. If they implemented this gapless would work over DLNA on the 203.

I would be willing to use Roon to achieve gapless playback but Oppo's implementation of RAAT does not support DSD or multichannel music which are essentials for me.
You're stuck with the Oppo interface then for gapless audio if you wish to use the Oppo 203 for network audio playback. Works but it's just horrible in use. I suppose if you have a DLNA render device which supports gapless AND has lossless audio HDMI output then you could plug the output into the Oppo 203 HDMI input and try that. Might work.

Last edited:
I gave up on playing music from my NAS via the Oppo 203. Bought a Bluesound Node 2i which is brilliant. Horses for courses.

Unfortunately for me bluesound don't support DSD or multichannel, so not a solution for my requirements

Unfortunately for me bluesound don't support DSD or multichannel, so not a solution for my requirements
Pity. ☹️ I’m an old fashioned hi-fi fan where two channels is fine.

What I can't understand is why don't Oppo licence out the 203/5 hardware and firmware spec to a third party and let someone else badge and sell them. That way they get some money back on something they are personally no longer interested in and we can all get to buy something we trust for when our 203 or 205 eventually fails and also there is then hope that the firmware development could go further. I for one would clamour for a graphical interface to the media player side of it. The one thing these great machines are missing IMO.
I couldn't agree more; every enthusiast who missed out on a 203 or 205 would be on a "new" model, even from a company that bought Oppo out, in a HEARTBEAT. I know I would.

Seems like the "clones" (Reavon, that Chinese ripoff) are cheap imitations that are viciously overpriced (the only genuine clone I'm convinced of is Cambridge's CXUHD, which I also own and which is in storage as I use my Panasonic UB9000).

The media side is not material enough to bother with. Oppo is China’s largest seller of mobile phones and amongst the top five largest worldwide. Im not sure why they’d even bother thinking about licensing out in a shrinking market that most manufacturers have already left.

Ultimately what Mediatek has learnt in partnering with the likes of Oppo, Denon and Cambridge Audio in the past is reflected to some extent in their current offerings.

Bit of an odd one guys, need a little help!
Player has been fine with no issues, until recently. I've been trying to set the system up using REW. The player is connected to the AVR using RCA leads as my AVR pre-dates HDMI, due to this I have been using the test tones in REW, the AVR and the 203. However having returned to the test tone in the 203 I found that they all work BAR the sub output. On investigation I found the RCA lead to the rear of the 203 had somehow become disconnected.

Having reconnected it though I still have no test tone to the sub.

The 203 is also connected to the AVR with an optical lead for CD playback and here also the test tone is non existent for the sub; however if I play a CD the sub IS active.

I'm hoping it's something obvious but I'm out of ideas. o_O All help gratefully received.

Bit of an odd one guys, need a little help!
Player has been fine with no issues, until recently. I've been trying to set the system up using REW. The player is connected to the AVR using RCA leads as my AVR pre-dates HDMI, due to this I have been using the test tones in REW, the AVR and the 203. However having returned to the test tone in the 203 I found that they all work BAR the sub output. On investigation I found the RCA lead to the rear of the 203 had somehow become disconnected.

Having reconnected it though I still have no test tone to the sub.

The 203 is also connected to the AVR with an optical lead for CD playback and here also the test tone is non existent for the sub; however if I play a CD the sub IS active.

I'm hoping it's something obvious but I'm out of ideas. o_O All help gratefully received.
Just a stab in the dark but is the sub level too low to 'play' the tone? Also, according to the manual these tones are only useful for identification and that for any calibration external test tones should be used.

No mate, sub levels appear to be fine. AVr test tone plays with no issues. 203 test tones are all good except for the sub, (trim level is zero and have tried winding it up to no avail). Bass is coming through the sub if I play a CD using the optical interconnect or playing through the RCA interconnects. Odd! Only want to use it to set the levels for each channel. Using test tones through REW to calibrate everything else.

Does anyone else notice that the OPPO 203 chroma upsampling changes when you change from auto to custom resolution output?

No, but which is preferable?
Auto, but then you might run into other issues depending on the edit of the display, but if you put up the chroma multi burst and chroma zone plate you will see how its significantly smoother in auto output resolution. It looks kind of that the custom resolution forces the player into 4:2:0 its a very rough chroma resolution for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom