OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Goonerdude

What video settings do you guys use on the LG oleds C9 and newer, I currently use source direct and everything else set to Auto.
If I’m spinning a 4K disc on my LG OLED l use these setting:

Output Resolution: Custom
Custom Resolution: UHD Auto
HDR Setting: Dolby Vision Processing: TV-Led

Everything else Auto.

The Dolby setting TV-Led helps a lot as l’ve had issues playing some 4K DV discs since I’ve changed that setting no more issues with playback.

Oppo advised me to change to that DV setting.

gunner84

Distinguished Member

Everything else Auto.

The Dolby setting TV-Led helps a lot as l’ve had issues playing some 4K DV discs since I’ve changed that setting no more issues with playback.

Cheers, you got a series 6 oled then, as I think DV processing on Auto caused issues.

I'm using source direct on my CX, just watched Rise of Skywalker, looked stunning so will keep it set to that.

Goonerdude

Cheers, you got a series 6 oled then, as I think DV processing on Auto caused issues.

I'm using source direct on my CX, just watched Rise of Skywalker, looked stunning so will keep it set to that.
No an E8 OLED some DV 4K tiles have issues playing back on the Oppo correctly to solve these small issues Oppo recommended to change the DV setting on the player.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
No an E8 OLED some DV 4K tiles have issues playing back on the Oppo correctly to solve these small issues Oppo recommended to change the DV setting on the player.
I remember reading about this, but I thought that only effected the series 6, don’t think it’s an issue with series 7 and up.

/edit, reading another forum it seems tv led is advisable for all LG oleds as you say.

Last edited:

gunner84

Distinguished Member

Everything else Auto.

Do you know what AUTO does under output resolution, does that override any custom resolution and just choose whatever the display can handle?

SeeMoreDigital

Do you know what AUTO does under output resolution, does that override any custom resolution and just choose whatever the display can handle?
When the 'AUTO' setting is enabled, your TV and playback device (ie: your OPPO) communicate with each other via HDMI to determine the optimum video performance settings for both devices - based on the properties of the source video.

Cheers

gunner84

Distinguished Member
When the 'AUTO' setting is enabled, your TV and playback device (ie: your OPPO) communicate with each other via HDMI to determine the optimum video performance settings for both devices - based on the properties of the source video.

Cheers
Cheers i also asked elsewhere, and it seems using custom and uhd auto will get the same results anyway, (custom or auto, scaling done on the Oppo).

Van300

Hi Oppo owners

Not sure if anyone else has come across a rather weird glitch which causes the REPEAT function not to work whilst playing flac files. Works fine whilst playing SACD and MP3 files. Could be just my player but would be interesting to hear what other owners on this.

I only came across this whilst running in my new Denafrips DAC. This new purchase pushed me into modding my Oppo 203 with a I2S HDMI and LPS.

Cheers

Van

Does anyone know the going rate for oppo 203, I don't really use mine so thinking of selling it. Thanks

BizkitBoy

Hi everyone,

I think I know the answer but thought it can't hurt to ask.

I recently got my hands on a brand new Oppo 203 and next week I'm finally expecting my amp and speakers to arrive.

Due to space limitations and not having a dedicated room, I will go the phantom center route and choose for a 4.0 setup (which is more like a 4.2 due to the floorstanders being GoldenEar Triton Three+ active speakers with built in subs, but anyway) and I will be using the Oppo's DAC.
Now what I'm wondering is if the way to set this all up in the Oppo is to choose a 5.1 mix, select the 2 floorstanders as Large, the 2 surrounds as Small, and the Center as Off/Disabled.
This means that all the center channel audio is mixed into the 2 floorstanders, correct?

Just wanted to make sure I got it right.

P.S. RCA splitter will be plugged into the Oppo's LFE and 2 cables will run from it, each going to the LFE input of the floorstanders.

DT79

Hi everyone,

I think I know the answer but thought it can't hurt to ask.

I recently got my hands on a brand new Oppo 203 and next week I'm finally expecting my amp and speakers to arrive.

Due to space limitations and not having a dedicated room, I will go the phantom center route and choose for a 4.0 setup (which is more like a 4.2 due to the floorstanders being GoldenEar Triton Three+ active speakers with built in subs, but anyway) and I will be using the Oppo's DAC.
Now what I'm wondering is if the way to set this all up in the Oppo is to choose a 5.1 mix, select the 2 floorstanders as Large, the 2 surrounds as Small, and the Center as Off/Disabled.
This means that all the center channel audio is mixed into the 2 floorstanders, correct?

Just wanted to make sure I got it right.

P.S. RCA splitter will be plugged into the Oppo's LFE and 2 cables will run from it, each going to the LFE input of the floorstanders.
Yes, you’ve got it.

Van300

Sounds right to me too.

BizkitBoy

Thanks for the confirmation, guys.
I'm also curious how well HDMI CEC works with last year's Panasonic GZ series, but I guess I better ask on the TV's owners thread. I'm mainly interested in the 'Limited' option for this setting as I don't want to power on/off the player from the TV's remote.

And yes, I do own the player for about 2 months, but it's sitting in a box... because of multiple reasons.
I didn't have the money for the speakers until the end of this month, I wanted to mod it and have just ordered a custom made LPS which supports a small fan and custom made side panels with grills for better heat dissipation (both mods from Coris, if you know the guy).
I also didn't want to use the player because I don't want to use the TV's speakers. I preferred my PC's speakers.

Speaking of panels, I'm having the curiosity if the top panel from the 205 perfectly fits the 203.
If yes, I'd be interested in getting one to add it to my 203 for optimal head dissipation.
I want to have this unit for as long as possible because I'm going to invest a lot of money in modding it. I still have to mod the DAC which will include adding 2 XLR connections similar to those on the 205, and a few other things for a more audiophile experience from this unit.

I didn't want to invest into an AVR because it has a lot of functionalities I don't need. I just wanted to have the Oppo connected to the power amp (a Rotel RMB-1585 in my case) and then to the speakers, that's it.
Nice and simple.

Oh and yes, it will be used solely for media streaming from my PC/NAS, no discs at all for me.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the GZ but the the EZ's HDMI CEC works slightly curiously with the 203 through my Onkyo amp into HDMI2. Even with CEC switched off on the 203, the TV will sometimes flip over to the amp and its Oppo input when powered on. Also, if you're looking at the Oppo and switch to Freeview, it will switch back to the Oppo after a couple of seconds. You have to switch the Oppo off first and then switch to Freeview.

Last edited:

DT79

Basically CEC is a complete sh**show, so If you can’t turn it off because you want to use ARC, all you can do is make the best of it. If you have a harmony remote though, you should be able to mitigate any issues by creating additional commands on activity startup to undo anything unhelpful that CEC has done. That is the only way that I could get ARC to work properly between my LG C9 and Arcam AVR390.

BizkitBoy

Damn, not very promising.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I'll just have to see how it behaves when I set everything up.
I will come back here and let everyone know.

For the most part, I can't say I need ARC. I'm not interested one bit in Netflix after they chopped their bitrates and flushed down the toilet the quality of their 4K streams.
Amazon 4K SDR is mediocre, but HDR is complete crap. I advise everyone to stay away from it, their streams are awful. No idea who's encoding their 4K content in HDR but they're doing a terrible job.
Besides that, not much streaming that can be done from the TV apps in my country.

I'm better off buying an ATV 4K since iTunes 4K is really good and if you get MoviesAnywhere set up, that's also a very good quality streaming service.

Yes, there are Netfilx exclusive shows but let's be honest... there are other ways of getting our hands on those... without streaming them.

Last edited:

Bryce Curdy

Standard Member
Any ideas why I'm getting no audio on some files when streaming video from a NAS drive? They stream fine using my Oppo 95 which is another room. For one of the files I have streamed with audio previously on the 203.

EDIT - apologies if this is covered in the previous 521 pages.

Van300

Most likely, the player is unable to decode audio on the video. If you're playing directly from your NAS drive then that'll be the prbolem.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Any ideas why I'm getting no audio on some files when streaming video from a NAS drive? They stream fine using my Oppo 95 which is another room. For one of the files I have streamed with audio previously on the 203.

EDIT - apologies if this is covered in the previous 521 pages.
It’s a known bug, if you play a film from your NAS with one audio format then switch to another film with a different format it breaks the audio. It’s almost like the 203 doesn’t know you e change discs. To fix it just press audio switch to another audio track / format select it then switch back and it kicks in. PITA and unlikely to be fixed we nutmeat have to live with it I’m afraid... 😒

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Most likely, the player is unable to decode audio on the video. If you're playing directly from your NAS drive then that'll be the prbolem.
There not many audio formats I know of it won’t play, more likely to be the known bug when playing films from the network. Cambridge Audio and Chinoppo has the same bug..

Van300

Oh yes, I forgot about this one. If the above doesn't work, just remove the hdmi cable at the back of the 203 and reconnect- esp if it's a single audio track.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I wouldn’t disconnect the HDMI live too many times if at all. you can often see sparks when you do it, I know they say they are hot plug, but I don't think it does your kit any good. Much easier just to press audio on the remote, select an alternative track, wait for it to lock on then flick back to audio track 1, saves me getting off my butt!!

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
It’s the player not picking up the disc has effectively changed on the source rather than the 203 not handshaking with your amp or tv...

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Trending threads

Latest News

New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Q updates smart features and adds Disney Plus in HDR