OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Hi all
I use my Oppo 203 with a JVC X7000 projector. I use the strip metadata function and watch 4K films in SDR Bt2020 colour profile.

I also use an Apple TV 4k and fix the output to SDR as well.

I watched Dunkirk and whilst it played fine and looked simply amazing in terms of resolution detail and colour with great black levels I feel that the red levels are too high as faces looked quite tanned and any red colour seems too bright. I read the AV Forum review where is said the faces were appropriately pale in the film so this got me concerned the balance is off even more. This is also something I’m sensing when I watch the Apple TV in 4k.

Does anyone have some favoured Oppo and JVC settings they are using and enjoying for 4K viewing but not using HDR please? I’ve not found a way to get HDR acceptable with my set up despite a fully darkened dedicated room etc.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Hi all
I use my Oppo 203 with a JVC X7000 projector. I use the strip metadata function and watch 4K films in SDR Bt2020 colour profile.

I watched Dunkirk and whilst it played fine and looked simply amazing in terms of resolution detail and colour with great black levels I feel that the red levels are too high as faces looked quite tanned and any red colour seems too bright. I read the AV Forum review where is said the faces were appropriately pale in the film so this got me concerned the balance is off even more. This is also something I’m sensing when I watch the Apple TV in 4k.

Does anyone have some favoured Oppo and JVC settings they are using and enjoying for 4K viewing but not using HDR please? I’ve not found a way to get HDR acceptable with my set up despite a fully darkened dedicated room etc.

Thanks in advance
Steve
I have found massive issues with gaming and HDR but not an issue with a film and quickly reset all my options I have changed with hdr that I did out of habit. It's odd you have found hdr unacceptable and this obviously isn't an issue with just the Oppo for you but with the jvc as well.
I've edited my gaming options on the TV to reflect a more natural colour for HDR but I assume there are lots of people that like an ott picture as a result almost comet Currys display standards.
Try and play with saturation and contrast and add some green to take away the reds. But I'd suggest either going to the JVC forum for further details or paying for calibration

Hi all

Thanks in advance
Steve
In the picture settings (3 presets available) can't you tinker with saturation etc? That may help.

I'm jumping the Oppo ship tomorrow and I wont be a beta tester again.
I know people say that things get sorted but I have a big issue when we want to have a movie night. I'm pretty fussy, never download (legally or illegally) movies, never stream movies, just always buy discs.
We have a dedicated room so we plan our movie nights, set the heating and work out the timings. Start the movie at say 9pm and if by 9.15 the movie is messing around, I spend 10minutes surfing the forums to see if known problem, spend 10 minutes trying to fix or retry, 10minutes getting grumpy and then before you know it it's actually too late to watch the movie and the wife wonders why we spent so much on this tech.
Anyway, once a new firmware is out and fixes the problem I wont necessarily want to watch the movie again for a while as new stuff has arrived, so more often than not it has spoiled the experience for me/us and gets very frustrating when I've paid RRP for the disc to get it on release.
So I'm off to the Sony X800, only chose that because it also plays SACD/DVD-A, which is important for me. I may regret it but at half the price of the Oppo it's a pretty safe bet.
My Oppo will be in the classifieds tomorrow once the Sony is set up.

I totally get where your coming from,my oppo 203 is pissing me off!
But for different reasons,I spent £6000 on a epson ls10500 projector,so i could finally experience 3D at home on a large screen
It's been six weeks with the 203 connected direct to my epson with hdmi,4K works,regular bluray works,dvd works but 3D has not give me a picture so far?
Just a message appears on screen (Not Supported)
I also have the older oppo 103 & when I connect that direct to the epson with the same hdmi cable it works with 3D.
Which confirms nothings wrong with the hdmi cable or the epson projector.
I have even checked all the setting on the 203 to make sure they match the 102,still no luck.
Finally had the oppo 203 replaced like for like,thinking it might be faulty,wrong! Same issue again,I've spoked to oppo UK & they were no help,when clearly it's a oppo problem.
Now I'm beginning to run out of options & jump ship,just through £750 for this Multiregion/zone piece off Shit!

For that money 6K projector £750 player I would have expected the dealer to install it and work through any issues with 3D

Seems to be a hdcp issue. Have you tried a different cable shorter throw directly to the projector. I know the cable works on your older one but if it's not on the newer I'd still check to rule it out on passing the video that far for all types. I get you may not want to but I'd still rule every option out first.

For that money 6K projector £750 player I would have expected the dealer to install it and work through any issues with 3D

Problem with that is i purchased from a dealer online on the other side of Uk & the oppo from another dealer,so for them to set it up makes it a little difficult.

Seems to be a hdcp issue. Have you tried a different cable shorter throw directly to the projector. I know the cable works on your older one but if it's not on the newer I'd still check to rule it out on passing the video that far for all types. I get you may not want to but I'd still rule every option out first.

Swapping the cable can probably be ruled out,even oppo & epson said the cable is fine,as it works with the older player & also passes 4K without issues.

Swapping the cable can probably be ruled out,even oppo & epson said the cable is fine,as it works with the older player & also passes 4K without issues.
I'd still check. Probably with HDMIs I've had some right stupid issues. Just rule it out.
Are you going direct or through a receiver or a lumagen?

Sorry I don’t buy that. There has been countless accounts of various quality and branded HDMI cables playing silly buggers. You really need to try a completely different cable IMO.

Sorry I don’t buy that. There has been countless accounts of various quality and branded HDMI cables playing silly buggers. You really need to try a completely different cable IMO.

Now you're making me doubt the hdmi cable,i might have to change it,see if that makes a difference.
It is a a good hdmi cable from, The Chord Company (c view) i think.

i agree with those who suggest trying a different hdmi cable
just because the 103 works does not exclude the cable as the 4K 203 has different internals and hdmi protocol
As an experiment and if you can connect the premium certified hdmi cable supplied with your Oppo direct into your projector and try that

i agree with those who suggest trying a different hdmi cable
just because the 103 works does not exclude the cable as the 4K 203 has different internals and hdmi protocol
As an experiment and if you can connect the premium certified hdmi cable supplied with your Oppo direct into your projector and try that

The distance is too great to try that cable.

Now you're making me doubt the hdmi cable,i might have to change it,see if that makes a difference.
It is a a good hdmi cable from, The Chord Company (c view) i think.

The weak point in any AV setup is invariably the HDMI cable (in my experience at least). Whilst we’re certainly not saying that is definitely your issue, it’s one that needs to be ruled out [emoji106]

I would go and find an extension mains lead (if no easy access to a nearby socket) and something safe and sturdy to stand on close to the projector and hold the OPPO in my hands for a couple of minutes whilst checking if it now plays ok with the OPPO supplied HDMI lead.

I would go and find an extension mains lead (if no easy access to a nearby socket) and something safe and sturdy to stand on close to the projector and hold the OPPO in my hands for a couple of minutes whilst checking if it now plays ok with the OPPO supplied HDMI lead.

I actually just dug up a older 8 meter Chord Company active cable & switched it over,finally i got 3D[emoji1360]
But as i said it's a older cable,so it doesn't support 4K,so in the new year I'll be getting a new cable.

Thank you to everyone who suggested i try & swap the hdmi to solve my none 3D issue,it worked[emoji1360]

Told ya!! [emoji16][emoji106][emoji4][emoji13]

Glad you’re up and running finally [emoji4]

Oh now go apologise to your 203! [emoji850][emoji16]

Told ya!! [emoji16][emoji106][emoji4][emoji13]

Glad you’re up and running finally [emoji4]

Oh now go apologise to your 203! [emoji850][emoji16]

I'm not apologising to the 203,because i contacted the Future Shop which deal in all the top cables & apparently they've had a fair few customers contact them regarding certain hdmi cables not being compatible with the oppo 203 & 205 (only oppo) players.
The man did say that oppo are aware of this issue now & hopefully going to fix it via a firmware update.
But I won't hold my breath for that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom