OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Absolutely, go for it. You wont regret getting an Oppo, it's an awesome player. I'm on my fifth Oppo I think.
Only four for me (83, 93, 103D EU, 103 EU), but as soon as one of them becomes irreparable - and I hope it's the 83 - I'll finally have a good excuse to get a 203. Meanwhile, I'll just keep reading the comments. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Last edited:
The one for sound only has to support HDMI 1.4. So any recent cable should do the trick.

The one for sound only has to support HDMI 1.4. So any recent cable should do the trick.
I will need another hdmi cable that supports 4k because the one I’m using is for the Xbox one s and I don’t want to keep switching them so I got the one I posted in the link above.

So with the HDMI’s on the Oppo do you have to plug one into tv and one into amp?

So with the HDMI’s on the Oppo do you have to plug one into tv and one into amp?
Depends on your Amp and whether it is fully 4K HDCP compliant. I only use a single cable from the Oppo into my Denon 4300h.

Only if you want to setup in that way. I have one cable to my AVR but unlike dejongj this means I cannot get Dolby Vision until my AVR is updated next March. I could go back to two cables and get DV if I wanted to but there aren't enough discs to worry about it.

Only if you want to setup in that way. I have one cable to my AVR but unlike dejongj this means I cannot get Dolby Vision until my AVR is updated next March. I could go back to two cables and get DV if I wanted to but there aren't enough discs to worry about it.
Indeed. I waited two months for Denon to update my Amp after Oppo updated the player. It wasn’t worth it running separate cables and complicating matters with the potential introduction of lip sync issues etc.

Indeed. I waited two months for Denon to update my Amp after Oppo updated the player. It wasn’t worth it running separate cables and complicating matters with the potential introduction of lip sync issues etc.
Well I setup two cables just to try Despicable Me Two in DV and it was superb. Now that itch is scratched I will wait for the update and more material.

Funny thing is streamed DV on my LG OLED is pretty much broken due to the poor preset settings. Though by disc it is superb. I'm watching all my streamed HDR material using HDR10.

Well I setup two cables just to try Despicable Me Two in DV and it was superb. Now that itch is scratched I will wait for the update and more material.

Funny thing is streamed DV on my LG OLED is pretty much broken due to the poor preset settings. Though by disc it is superb. I'm watching all my streamed HDR material using HDR10.
Not sure what you mean by broken settings. I don’t seem to have an issue streaming from the inbuilt apps, or apply tv. DV works fine as it does on the disc.

Not sure what you mean by broken settings. I don’t seem to have an issue streaming from the inbuilt apps, or apply tv. DV works fine as it does on the disc.
I can stream DV from the inbuilt apps and Apple TV it is just that the quality is no good. HDR10 looks better on the same material. Many are reporting the same on LG OLEDs.

I can stream DV from the inbuilt apps and Apple TV it is just that the quality is no good. HDR10 looks better on the same material. Many are reporting the same on LG OLEDs.
I guess I'm the lucky one yet again with no such issues :)

I got the Apple TV 4k and I’ve seen a few films on it and PQ is really good although I have had lip sync issues. Ive been told to put format in 4k DV 24hz to sort it, menu will be laggy but film should be fine. I haven’t tried one yet to see but I will.

Well my Oppo has arrived. Bigger than I thought it would be. Looks solidly made and even manual is big. Just setting it up.

Hi guys.

Anyone who use their oppo 203 to play 4K discs on 1080p display(non 4k) who would like to share exsperience on the matter?

I have an oppo bdp 83 which Im very fond of but more and more Blu-ray movies only have non atmos track where as the 4K version offers atmos soundtrack. That why im looking for the best player to convert 4K to 1080p

Enjoy, it really is the very best [emoji41]
Tried a few to see and they look very good. Gonna watch new Spider-Man in 3D in a bit. A shame there ain’t that many films out at the moment in DV. Obviously that will change next year. I like how the lights on remote light up when you move it. Is there anything in settings I need to change?

Last edited:
Tried a few to see and they look very good. Gonna watch new Spider-Man in 3D in a bit. A shame there ain’t that many films out at the moment in DV. Obviously that will change next year. I like how the lights on remote light up when you move it. Is there anything in settings I need to change?

Leave most settings on auto and watch a few films prior to adjusting. Then just like TV’s you’ll be forever adjusting trying to get the very best out of the 203. I nearly got the Panasonic, but I’m so glad I’ve purchase my first ever Oppo product and now I’m sold

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom