OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought id start this thread in anticipation of new owners in the next day or two, this is to provide feedback on the player and discuss video/audio performance and media capabilities in practise for reference for owners and any potential owners. I expect mine in the next few days.

Might also be worth mentioning what equipment you have connected to the player just in case any common issues arise!

Some Early suggested settings and Q & A

Unofficial OPPO UDP-203 Frequently Asked Questions

OPPO UDP-203 Settings Checklist

multi region mod resource

JVB Digital for all your MultiZone MultiRegion Codefree Blu-ray and DVD players. Including 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, SPDIF and Darbee

bluraychip.dk

user manual

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP203/UDP-203_USER_MANUAL_ENGLISH_V1.0.pdf

OPPO 203 firmware updates info page

OPPO - Contact Us

oppo technical support and reporting any issues

email: [email protected]

full contact details and logging procedure for any issues you may encounter see mail below:

if you fill in the online form on the oppo uk website, this doesn't get sent to James immediately so you might get a delay in responses using that method.

you should always email: [email protected] , this goes directly to James the Technical officer for Europe or of course you can ring through.
In the UK Call 0345 060 9395 (9.00 - 16.45 GMT Monday - Friday)

From Europe call 0044 345 060 9395 or 0044 1603 402240
Business Hours Monday - Friday 9.00 - 17.00 (GMT)

the out of office is on! with a date of return as 16th October 2017

yes pretty much James is the oppo face/voice of europe for customer service, so 1 person covering probably 25,000 - 203's in the field not to mention the 205's, in a technical capacity to offer advice, solutions or report to china for issues

most manufacturers are not as hands on as oppo, and are no where near as accessible in my experience, so we've never had it so good.

and lastly, whilst James is off, we can use the logging system for china when they return, this is a method to capture hard evidence of the any issue you may be experiencing @007L2Kill or anyone else - is captures audio and video in data form, which can be read by the firmware department.

here is the process to capture logs -

1>connect your clean usb thumbdrive or other mobile memory device to the oppo
2>Press the key "set-up" then press numerical keys "7 8 9 6" after entering set-up interface, it will show "start saving logs to usb device"
3> reproduce the issue (motionjudder/24p or whatever the issue ) then press "set up key" and press numerical keys "7 8 9 6" after entering "set up" interface, it will show logs have been saved to usb device
4> pull out USB device. its suffix is .txt

send those details directly to James, describing the issue, and also what equipment is connected to your oppo and how - so usually the av receiver, and tv, whether direct to tv or via an AVR (make and models)

this can capture audio dropouts or video skipping freezing information in data form, which can be read and hopefully solved by china within firmware.

on the video front when we all had freezing or frame skip or stutter, i know we couldn't always recreate in the exact spot all the time. they don't need hours and hours. just 5/10mins so you might have to do it a few times to capture it.

i haven't tried this process yet, as i don't need to, but its there to use

hopefully this will help us all out, when any issues are encountered

Mark

Last edited:
Got my player this morning and just a quick first impressions. Set up is video to Sony VW320ES and audio to Onkyo TXRZ810. No Atmos sound was an initial problem but secondary audio settings sorted that out. 4k, upscaling and 3D seem bang on the money. Played SACD and pure audio disc and very crisp sound. Also played a bit of Planet earth II which I had copied on my Panasonic BD recorder and that was fine. Also played audio ripped on Sony PSHX500 in DSD format and played fine. Will get the multi region mod from Frank Harvey when available and I know this player will be the one box solution I have wanted plus the promise of Dolby Vision makes it future proof. Looking forward to this evening when conditions in my loft will be perfect.

really want to buy this, but just got a 55E6 which nearly caused a divorce, getting this as well and I'll not really appreciate the great picture quality as I stare in through the window from the street :(

Oh, and if you don't have a full chain of HDCP 2.2 devices, the 4k disc won't play.
I recall earlier on, some chaps said it will work, and I can tell you it doesn't!
So for those with legacy gear, you can use the second HDMI out to connect audio to your amp, and let the player go direct to the TV for example.

Would somebody please let me know how proficient the player is at streaming, in particular MKV's M2TS...thanks.

Oh, and if you don't have a full chain of HDCP 2.2 devices, the 4k disc won't play.
I recall earlier on, some chaps said it will work, and I can tell you it doesn't!
So for those with legacy gear, you can use the second HDMI out to connect audio to your amp, and let the player go direct to the TV for example.

That's my plan as I have the older but still sonically excellent Yamaha RX-A3010. I'm salivating at how good the images are going to be on a calibrated Loewe OLED TV even with upscaled Blu-ray. :D

Mark sent you a text of some useful links add them to your original post or ask a mod to add them as a sticky...!

Getting mine delivered tomorrow and it's got the firmware update on.
What's this firmware, i assume it can be downloaded for people ordering from e.g. RS?

What's this firmware, i assume it can be downloaded for people ordering from e.g. RS?

Should be able to downloaded via the unit.

IMG_1772.JPG

ive added some links, early suggested setting, multi region info and Q + A in the first post

Thanks to @Phil1975 for you assistance in this matter lol

Last edited:

Just noticed in your pics you have the same amp as me, fine choice sir :cool:

Yeah I've got the 7010 aswell, be interesting to see how it performs with the 203, hopefully match made in heaven :)

I've just received an SMS from RS advising delivery tomorrow by DPD. If you connect player to your network (I use homeplugs) it will probably prompt you a firmware update is available.

Yep, you can ask Oppo to send out a disc too with it on. They told me they will have them next week ready. Frank Harvey did it for me via USB, but you can do it wirelessly too but people don't seem to recommend that.

ive added some links, early suggested setting, multi region info and Q + A in the first post

Thanks to @Phil1975 for you assistance in this matter lol
Just FYI regarding the settings: if people set the bit depth and subsampling to auto then it will kick out the maximum that the display's EDID will say it can handle, which means the dreaded 12-bit 4:4:4 that's been causing so many issues with the Panasonic player on certain TVs. In that respect it's going to be interesting to see whether that truly is a Panasonic problem or whether the OPPO causes the same banding.

The OPPO can of course be manually set to 10-bit which is great for those who are afflicted, but if the OPPO's 12-bit 4:4:4 output causes the same effect then the finger must be pointed firmly at the respective TV manufacturers, as I've said all along.

Just FYI regarding the settings: if people set the bit depth and subsampling to auto then it will kick out the maximum that the display's EDID will say it can handle, which means the dreaded 12-bit 4:4:4 that's been causing so many issues with the Panasonic player on certain TVs. In that respect it's going to be interesting to see whether that truly is a Panasonic problem or whether the OPPO causes the same banding.

The OPPO can of course be manually set to 10-bit which is great for those who are afflicted, but if the OPPO's 12-bit 4:4:4 output causes the same effect then the finger must be pointed firmly at the respective TV manufacturers, as I've said all along.
Thanks Geoff, if we find any issues we'll post results, any who already have the player care to comment?

Just so this thread doesn't get filled with as much crap as the other one. Please remember this is the 'Owners Thread'
An owners thread should have useful, meaningful and helpful info to be shared with others.

So posts like 'mines being delivered tomorrow' etc are rather pointless.

It'll save me deleting a lot of posts I'm sure.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is it the same firmware for the US and EU models then?

Given the lack of country info I would imagine it's a global version. Any decent firmware will prevent update unless it's 100% compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom