Oppo question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanS 01, Mar 11, 2013.

1. IanS 01

IanS 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Well my SACD player has broken and my PS3 seems very jerky on 3D movies so I'm going to upgrade.

Audio is my primary concern and I have the amp and speakers to back it up.

Question - does anyone know, the new Oppo 105 is a grand, the 103 is £500. Is it better to buy a £500 Oppo 103 for films and a separate £500 CD player for music or is the Oppo 105 at a grand actually better than a £500 (or more) stand alone CD player.

Thoughts?

Thanks all

Ian

2. HD Elvis

HD Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Poland's High Fidelity magazine stated, "This is an amazing universal player, which treats the audio section very seriously, even better than some expensive dedicated CD Players. General consensus is its certainly better than a budget CD player and better than some more expensive. Guess only you ears will say for sure.

3. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm having exactly the same quandary.

New 105 or 103 + a second hand (Arcam/Audiolab/Naim) stereo CDP.

I'm thinking you might have more trouble than me bettering the audio out as I assume you require multi channel SACD capabilities for £500, where as I'm only interested in stereo (for the time being).

I'd also like to know how usable the 105 is as a full time CDP. Does it appear sluggish to load discs/boot up. Is it fully operable without video on. etc. etc? Questions I'd need the answers to prior to spending 1K on a universal player.

I'll be interested in knowing what you end up doing.

Cheers

Tom

4. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,875
    I have come across this problem,after listening to a lot of blu ray player inc the Oppo range.
    None of them have come close to my Naim CD player :)

5. IanS 01

IanS 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What sort of price range / model is your Naim player please?

6. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,875
  7. IanS 01

IanS 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmmm. Ok that's old, and the one thing that had moved on more than anything is the digital side of things. I cannot see how a years old player can even remotely cut it against a brand new design with what the industry recognises as having reference dacs, but I'm open. I'm going for a demo tomorrow :). Hopefully they have a Naim there too.

8. white91

white91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I would also suggest that a dedicated Naim would sound better. My Audiolab would also take some beating.

How about a DAC?

9. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,875
    CD has been around a lot longer than blu ray,so even older players were at their prime when they came out,and the spec of CD themseleves havnt changed :)

10. Treborhifi83

Treborhifi83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've hear a Naim CD player and they do take something special to beat.

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    There are different types of DAC and sometimes the same model of DAC can employ different characteristics or implementation. What's often bounded around as "reference" doesn't necessarily tell the whole story particular with 44.1k i.e.CD material. The characteristic of the digital filter design can alter the perception of audio and there is no right or wrong just a different set of compromises that alter the sound.

Avi

12. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    With regard to DAC and my comment in the above post I though this might be of interest. The results outlined below by John Atkinson of Stereophile is using the same DAC hardware but applying different filter characteristics.

"I used the D33 while finalizing my choices for this issue's "Records 2 Die 4" feature. With the default Burr-Brown digital filter selected, the D33's sound was clean and clear, with excellent low-frequency definition and extension. But after a while, it became clear that the high frequencies had a little bit of "bite." The rosiny edge of the sound of Jacqueline du Pré's cello in Elgar's Cello Concerto, with Sir John Barbirolli and the London Symphony (24/96 Apple Lossless files from HDtracks, transcoded from FLACs), was slightly emphasized, and the soundstage was a little curtailed overall. While bass guitar had good weight and definition, well-recorded rock recordings were a bit too in-your-face. Jenny Scheinman's vibratoless violin on Bill Frisell's All We Are Saying . . . (CD, Savoy Jazz SVY17836) was harder to take than I remembered from listening to the track as decoded by the Devialet D-Premier D/A amplifier, which I reviewed last month.

It was obviously time to check out the D33's custom filters.
    The FMJ D33's Filter 1 is described by Arcam as a "minimum-phase filter with a fast roll-off [that seeks] to remove the pre-ringing on transients found in normal digital filters. . . . [This] redistributes the energy from any pre-ringing until after the transient. Although this causes greater post-ringing than the standard digital filter, it results in a much more natural sound as there is no pre-ringing in live music." And that was what I found when I compared the sound of Filter 1 with the Burr-Brown filter. The high frequencies became better integrated with the midrange and bass. The relationships between individual acoustic objects in the soundstage and the surrounding ambience became more evident, there being a better presentation of stage depth. Against these improvements, Filter 1 did sound more laid-back overall, which some listeners might feel detracts from the D33's sense of pace compared with the sharpness of the Burr-Brown's character. However, I did the bulk of my auditioning using Filter 1, because it reproduced my own recordings as I had intended them to sound. "

Arcam FMJ D33 D/A processor Page 2 | Stereophile.com

13. IanS 01

IanS 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought the Oppo 105 after nearly 3 hours of demo against a £1,000 Naim and £800 Audiolab stand alone CD player.

The Naim was definitely warmer, whereas the Oppo and Audiolab were near indistinguishable, both very neutral and more clinical than the Naim. Depends what you like and what matches your system. I own a pair of monitor audio PL300's, a stunning speaker that has oodles of bass. I bought the Oppo and getting it home, glad I did. Pairing a warm player to my speakers would have been disastrous overkill I think.

14. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Now you're home, and have had a week with the oppo, how are you finding it, any niggles with operation as a music source?

I'm keen for an update as I'm probably going to order one next week.

Cheers

Tom

15. IanS 01

IanS 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A few niggles but minor. It has crashed twice, once it wouldn't allow me to open the tray, the other was a complete fail needing a switch off.

I was hoping to use the video DAC function for Sky and also the improved audio DAC's too but there is a huge time sync problem when I do, circa 4 seconds.

It's a little slow in operation, e.g. My old CD player, when turned it on I could open the tray immediately. The Oppo has a good old think about it whilst it boots up.

Sound and video are great as you would expect. Bass initially seemed less than PS3 until I sussed that the analogue put was at a lower volume.

It's the same with everything though. You can spend 3 hours in the shop like I did doing minute comparisons but once you get it home, with no other kit to compare it to, it just sounds good.

I'm going to have a moan about the use of the video dac for an external source, it is in the specs but admittedly it doesn't say it will work alongside the analogue out. Kind of should though as that is the main reason for buying the thing eh?