Oppo or Denon?

Benrudd1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my blu-ray/dvd/cd source and am torn between the Oppo BDP-83 and the Denon DBP-2010.

The selected player will be used as the source for all of my disc spinning needs blu-ray, dvd and cd.

It will feed into a Denon 4306 av receiver via hdmi lpcm for films and 2ch analogue for cd's.

Visually it will be fed into both a Panasonic TX-P42X10 plasma and a Epson TW3000 1080p projector.

I am replacing a Panasonic BD35 blu-ray player and Yamaha DVD-S1700 dvd and cd player.

My main concerns are 2ch audio quality, dvd picture quality and to a lesser extent speed of operation particularly with dvd's (menu's etc)

Either player would have to be multi-region for dvd and region b for blu-ray.

Many thanks in advance

My main concerns are 2ch audio quality, dvd picture quality and to a lesser extent speed of operation particularly with dvd's (menu's etc)

Either player would have to be multi-region for dvd and region b for blu-ray.

Lexicon... oops no I meant Oppo. (I gotta stop confusing the two!)

Or the optional SE version if 2ch is of greater importance.

Very often the determination of "audio quality" is purely subjective. Simply putting the same player in a different box (literally) can often influence what people hear. The Lexicon BD30 (Oppo 83 inside another case) is a topical example and here's what one reviewer claimed re its CD performance-

"For CDs, I went to a favorite new test disc of mine, Puscifier's V is for Vagina (Puscifier Entertainment) and went straight to the last track, "Rev. 22:20 (Dry Martini Mix)." I was glad to hear the Lexicon could reproduce the deep and solid bass lines, giving them sizeable air, while the vocals stayed separate. "Momma Sed" started with lively guitar. When the bass came in, the room filled with the notes. I had to compare this unit to my reference $21,000 EMM Labs TSD1/DAC2 combo and, as I suspected, the EMM Labs did outdo it, giving more depth and a larger soundstage, but both were fun to hear. The Lexicon was just less inviting and a bit more confined than the Meitner gear. As I say, just a little, which is a feat in itself."

Would he have said the same about the same product under another brand and lower cost ?

IIRC there was some "blind" comparison done on CD over 2ch analogue in the recent forum shootout. Here a link to the result page but there are some more comments from the observers in other posts in the thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/10668325-post471.html

Best advice is to audition/compare the players properly setup/calibrated in your own environment and ask a friend to help with a blind comparison.

AVI

You know I just can't put my finger on it but my special senses tell me there is a pattern emerging.

I don't know about the denon (and i love Denon) but I LOOOOVE my Oppo :D
It does everything i need in one box superbly, and the CS from both Henry and Oppo themselves with firmware updates is second to none.

Bush :smashin:

Not really. Oppo all the way and you can be satisfied that you actually have $3500 worth of kit according to Lexicon :thumbsup:

So you all think that the Denon would be best do you :D

Sounds like the oppo moves to the top of the list.

Thanks

I would go Oppo if you are looking at HDMI input

How many of the Thetas / Lexicons / Ayres are using the Denon as their base product?

Get a Denon badge and stick it on the oppo..
then the Denon would be the one to go for:smashin::D

you need to change the case as well, well you do if you are Lexicon....:devil:

Denon!

(not that I'm biased)

Oppo if only for the excellent customer support which in my case you never got with Denon

Nope - I wanted the Denon because of the build & CD playback and because I'm a Denon fan!

That fine, just interested why!

You see, it is true the exceptions does prove the rule :D

+1 Oppo

(and before I am accused of being bias, I have had Denon DVD-2800 and DVD-3800 both of which skipped with just about every disc I put in and Denon would do nothing....:mad:)

I had a DVD-3800 since they 1st came out and after a few teething problems (including a swap by Denon) it has given me years of excellent service.

Generally, I upgrade rarely and buy the best I can afford at the time, with a view to long term ownership - hence my AVR-3802 still going strong.

I should also say that I have found Denon customer service to be generally good. When they ran out of replacement drive units for the DVD-3800, they didn't need much prompting to send me a new one.

I had a DVD-3800 since they 1st came out and after a few teething problems (including a swap by Denon) it has given me years of excellent service.

Generally, I upgrade rarely and buy the best I can afford at the time, with a view to long term ownership - hence my AVR-3802 still going strong.

I should also say that I have found Denon customer service to be generally good. When they ran out of replacement drive units for the DVD-3800, they didn't need much prompting to send me a new one.

You are right, they do try, I just lost my patience after three drives in the 3800 and still sitting nervously every time I put a CD in. But when it worked it sounded good. My father in law has it now to match his 3806 amp.....

I do love my Denon Receivers. i've had the 3802,3805 and now the 4306. But i'm not so sure on their disc spinners, the dvd 2200 i had died after only just over 2 years.

However the Lexicon bd30 does sound nice, just imagine the audio and video enhancing qualities of a couple of grands worth of aluminium facia :devil: :rotfl:

However the Lexicon bd30 does sound nice, just imagine the audio and video enhancing qualities of a couple of grands worth of aluminium facia :devil: :rotfl:

It would be funny but on some forums it's being suggested that the "extra" shielding provided by the Lex case may be a factor in better video/audio as claimed by a reviewer.

One thing's for sure even when product are "identical" people will want to believe one genuinely produces better audio/video if it's suggested one is more expensive or from a certain brand.

The human condition is a wonderful thing. :)

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom