Oppo - new beta firmware.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by witters, Mar 24, 2006.

1. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Oppo have very kindly sent me the latest 0313B beta firmware. It seems to perform well on both AV synch & divX playback:smashin:

2. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wow, that's quick - anything new or is it just to straighten up those conflicting issues?

3. LMKT

LMKT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, that quick again! maybe as someone else suggested they should include a bunch of CD's at source for the never-ending firmware upgrades.:clap:

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Just the av synch/divx issue I think and it seems to work fine.

Better a lot of firmware updates than a player that has faults and is redundant due to no updates!!

5. dgkp

dgkp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have previous problems, e.g, the juddering, de-interlacing issues and frame-dropping on standard DVDs (my experiences with 0220) or were you just testing DivX?

6. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    No previous probelms.

7. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The de-interlacing problems should not be there anymore. At least the discs that I experienced major problems with no longer have the problem, and other discs no longer show the "5 minute" de-interlace error.

Never experienced judder or frame-dropping, so who knows.

8. dgkp

dgkp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Good news. I look forward to them making it available. Any idea when it will be rolled out?

9. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    OPPO has had it for two weeks now. But it is their discression as to when it will actually be released. Most likely they are awaiting more features to be added to the firmware before it is released, as they would rather not make it a "patch" firmware.

10. ovegeir

ovegeir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It should be possible to adjust the True Life effect. have asked Oppo abuot this issue, but they say they do not have to knowlegde to add this feature.
    I preavisly owned the Phillips DVP9000S and the True Life effect was really notisable, on the Oppo i hardly can see any difference.
    I hope they are able to add this feature later.

11. dgkp

dgkp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems an odd decision if they have really sorted the A/V sync issue as this is the main thing stopping some folk from buying the oppo. I'd have thought they'd have wanted everyone to be able to take advantage of it. Something that sorts out lip-sync is not what I'd call a patch.

But if they are going to add one feature it would be to get the faroudja chip to do the zooming/4:3 pillar boxing: I'd wait for that!

12. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I could be wrong, but I thought truelife can only be either on or off. Certainly my PJ and the Oppo are only on or off.

13. ovegeir

ovegeir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On other players that has True Life, its normal that you can adjust the effect. not just on or off.
    This is the answer i got from Oppo when i asked about this:

"Because we are reliant on Genesis for providing us source code
    information, we lack the required knowledge on how TrueLife can be
    manipulated. They have only disclosed how to turn it on/off, and not
    how it can be fine tuned to user preference."

14. emger1a

emger1a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that a new firmware once again, is good news to you guys.
    Unfortunatly I bought a Cambridge edition of the player (CA DVD79), which also has some issues.

I have heard loads of places, that the firmware can be used on the Cambridge, the BBK, etc. as well as on the Oppo, but that it will affect the functionality of the remote control and the front panel.
    Some people claims, that it can be sorted out, so that the remote control and front panel will keep working even after a firmware update from Oppo, but I can not find any information about the process.

Does any of you guys now how to do it - where to find information og pre-tweaked firmwares? At least I need the frontpanel to work, since I also got the Oppo remote. :confused:

15. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    They've made enough "patches" the past month that they don't want to distrubute anything new unless it is a) working fully without exception b) it is worth the advertised features.

People who want to purchase the OPDV971H will not really pay attention to the firmware release page, so they would be ignorant of any fixes that have been introduced (on a whole). Their main reason for purchasing the DVD player is due to reviews which are now all out of date due to the recent firmware releases. Confirmation of the OPPO's diligence can be voiced over phone or e-mail quiries.

16. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Most players only have the ability to turn it on or off (according to my use). Higher end scalers and some DVD players have tuneable TrueLife preferences (like sharpness). But, such tuning could be something that is no present in the current crop of FLI2310 chipsets (ie. All major Faroudja based DVD players).

17. dgkp

dgkp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not dubting oppo's diligence, Lost Toys: far from it! They are the best company I've ever dealt with. It's just that I would have thought that a working A/V synch fix that causes no other errors would be top priority, after all it is the main concern of prospective oppo buyers and the one thing above all others that will make them look elsewhere. If we, on this forum and others, could sing the praises of an A/V tight oppo it could only increase their sales.

Also, the more fixes the better the customer service reptutation (if it could be any better).

However, if they are not sure yet that the new fix is a-OK then they are right to hold back.

18. leidge

leidge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've managed to modify the oppo firmware to be used on the DVD79. Unfortunately there is one button on the remote that doesn't work and that button is the SETUP-key :-(
    All other buttons including the ones on the front panel work as they should. I also have a remote from oppo and that works as it should. So basically I've just modified the front panel part. If anyone else wants to experiment with this, this is what you do :

1. Download the latest European firmware from here :
    http://www.livingcinema.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53
    and the DVD79 firmware from here :
    http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/support_products.php?PID=24&Title=DVD79

2. Download MTKRemaker from here :
    http://personal.inet.fi/koti/mabreaker/mabreaker/index.html

3. Extract the bin-file from the DVD79 iso-file and rename it to DVD79.bin (or whatever)
    Extract the bin-file from the oppo iso-file.

4. Start MTKRemaker and go to help menu and select "Expert". Check the "Enable Expert Mode".

5. Open the DVD79.bin file and go to MT13x9 -> Code Part -> 8032 - Page 0 - RC_RemoteTab (Unk)

6. Right click the "RC_RemoteTab (Unk)" and select save.
    This is the remote control codes for the DVD79

7. Then go to MT13x9 -> Code Part -> 8032 - Page 4 - VFD_ButtonTab

8. Right click the "VFD_ButtonTab" and select save.
    This is the front panel codes for the DVD79.

9. To modify the oppo firmware, open it and simply right click the in the same locations as above and select replace.
    Replace with the parts saved from the DVD79 firmware.

10. Save the firmware and burn it with your favorite burning program. Remember to turn of Joliet.

You may want to replace other parts in the firmware as well. Probably at least the background image which can be found in
    MT13x9 -> Data Part -> Skin -> MPEG 0.