Oppo HA-2/HA-2SE and the Mac

Yakima

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. Newbie who’s just joined in the hope someone can identify with, and possibly offer a solution to, an inherent problem with this and its predecessor the HA-2.
While I cannot bring into question the superb audio quality of the HA-2 or the HA-2SE I recently stumbled on the following by accident.
The instructions clearly state that it can be connected to a Mac and that the supplied usb micro-b to usb cable is used with the selector on position B. The Mac does not require a driver, unlike a pc, and correctly identifies the device to route the audio to. The device’s green led flashes to show power charging in progress, but alas with the headphones plugged in there is NO AUDIO. This state of affairs applies to both models. An electronics friend of mine posed the notion that the Sabre chip may indeed require a driver despite the Mac not requiring one.
Would appreciate any constructive feedback or if anyone else has noticed this.

Have you looked in the MAC's sound settings to tell it where to route the audio to?

The Mac correctly identifies the Oppo and sound output is routed to the device. The audio/midi interface also lets you further refine the selection of available playback rates, so the Mac is clearly communicating with the Oppo... its just not allowing playback through the headphones. The Oppo technical team are being very tight lipped about this which makes me very suspicious.

SOLUTION - I finally stumbled on the solution. The Oppo works with my B&O BeoPlay H6 Headphones (30 ohm) but doesn’t like the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (100 ohm) despite the gain switch at high. I don’t know what the cutoff point is for the Oppo to have difficulty driving headphones - a statement in the instructions would have helped.

SOLUTION - I finally stumbled on the solution. The Oppo works with my B&O BeoPlay H6 Headphones (30 ohm) but doesn’t like the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (100 ohm) despite the gain switch at high. I don’t know what the cutoff point is for the Oppo to have difficulty driving headphones - a statement in the instructions would have helped.
This may be what is happening but it seems strange that the oppo is not capable of driving the Bose, I would not have thought they were a difficult load

I haven’t tried this yet but I am almost certain that the Bose will work with the Oppo connected solely to the iPhone. I’ll double check tonight but if that’s the case then the problem is specific to how the signal path is routed when connected to the Mac.

DEFINITIVE RESULT.
The Bose will not work with the Oppo connected to the iPhone. The reason....
the Oppo will NOT work with noise cancelling headphones!... it’s a fact, straight from Oppo Technical. Wish this simple statement wiuld have been in the User Manual.

Last edited:
I haven’t tried this yet but I am almost certain that the Bose will work with the Oppo connected solely to the iPhone. I’ll double check tonight but if that’s the case then the problem is specific to how the signal path is routed when connected to the Mac.

DEFINITIVE RESULT.
The Bose will not work with the Oppo connected to the iPhone. The reason....
the Oppo will NOT work with noise cancelling headphones!... it’s a fact, straight from Oppo Technical. Wish this simple statement wiuld have been in the User Manual.

I use my Oppo HA2-SE both with a macbook pro and Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II without issue and without the requirement of drivers!

Is this with NC on or off, or does it make no difference to whether the mac -> Oppo -> Bose chain plays nice?

No sure if to late for some but, my OPPO HA-2SE works fine with Bose Quiet Comfort15 head phones. Ive owed over year and had problem initially but OPPO Support helped! Must use line out jack not headphone jack. That simple.
Enjoy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom