• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

OPPO DVD & SONY DAVS500

Sporran

HI

I currently own the DAVS500 (bout 3 years old now) been happy and no probs. However want to try the progressive scan stuff with me HS50 PJ.

All i want to know is, my DAVS500 can take optical in and this does DD and DTS as i used to plug me PS2 through it. But i read somewere that the oppo can output DD etc but 5.1 wont go through the optical and according to their manual 5.1 needs other leads with RCA type connectors. I always thought DD and 5.1 were the same.

What i want to do is input the sound from the oppo into me DAV using opti and use that as a surround sound amp until such time as i change it for proper seperates.

Have i totally confused myself and will it be ok. Im sure there are better players just like the way oppo operate, upgrades firmware etc and price.

Thanks

sandstheman

The Oppo does indeed output Dolby Digital and DTS i.e. 5.1, through it's optical audio out, it also has analogue connections for 5.1 as well, but this is mainly for DVD-Audio discs, so you should be fine to connect the Oppo to your DAVS500

LostToys

The non-digital 5.1 output in the manual is talking about DVD-A. DVD-A requires multi-channel threading (6 analog cables) unless it contains a resident Dolby Digital 5.1 channel.

There is no problem using optical/coaxial digital out for DVD playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom