Oppo Digital OPDV971H

nathwasere said:
Hi guys,

I've flashed my Cambridge DVD79 with oppo firmware, retaining the parts of the code for panel buttons and ir codes. It nearly 100% now and I have to say the difference on some DVDs is stunning. Still suffers some of the age old sync problems with this mediatek / dcdi combo - but the rest of the picture makes up of it.
I think this player in any form is a bargain, if your using the DVI connections.

Cheers,

nath
Hi did you modify the file yourself?

Paul

After reading through avforum and lookin at the review on hometheatrehifi, i am seriously considering this player now, but just a quick ?, does the DVI out on this have HDCP (my screen has DVI but is not HDCP compliant)

dbeamish said:
I think its not HDCP compliant actually..

I think I read it somewhere?

I was sure i'd read it somewhere as well, but can't find where anymore :oops:

So had to ask :D

EDIT: Ah ha, it was in the home theatre hifi review, they state that the Oppo DVI out is not HDCP compliant - Link

sandstheman said:
EDIT: Ah ha, it was in the home theatre hifi review, they state that the Oppo DVI out is not HDCP compliant

Does that mean that an HDCP compliant display, such as a projector, will not accept the signal? Or is it the other way round, in that an HDCP compliant source (ie DVD player) will not transmit to a non-HDCP compliant display?

Squibbly

An HDCP compliant device should still be able to accept a non-hdcp signal.

You only run into problems when you send an HDCP signal to a non HDCP compliant device.

Since the Oppo's DVI out does not have HDCP, you could technically connect it to any display device that has a DVI input HDCP or non HDCP

Thanks for that. I thought that was probably the case, but I get a little paranoid about the tyranny of increasingly restrictive copy protection!

I foresee a time when you won't be able to sing songs in your own home, without some little piece of software automatically charging a royalty fee to your bank account!

Squibbly

Cheers again Verschuur for the reponses. Think ill send them an email to see if they can do me a deal on the player and cable.

Just have to hope I dont get any lipsync problems.

verschuur said:
How would you compare the video to the TAG player? And what do you compare, the Oppo's DVI output vs the PSM module output of the TAG?

For CD replay I use my CDT20R T2L, haven't really compared it to the Oppo, but don't expect any miracles here from the BBK/Oppo......

Let me know how you would compare them!

Cheers,
Menno
Menno,
My Tag transport is still at the IAG service centre. Miracles or not I am still quite keen to see how both players compare side by side for both video/audio CDs. I just got the Oppo player and plug into one of the latest Panasonic LCD TV using DVI/HDMI cable supplied. Until last week my TV was a Sony 28'' CRT for the past 10 years. Since it just died again I got permission from SWMBO to buy a new TV :rotfl: . Using the player with a bigger 32'' TV the picture is indeed wonderful. To be honest I would not be able to say whether it is Oppo PQ or the TV but in combination it is certainly a worthy improvement.

As for audio CDs what I have done was plug the Oppo Player and a Linn Karik CDP with 2 separate digital cables to the AV32R. After some short A/B comparisons I would say it actually was quite difficult to tell the difference between this and my older UK£1200 CD player. When I get the time I would try to compare them again this time connecting the Oppo via analogue cable to see if the player internal DAC makes any difference. Again I would be extremely interested to hear how much difference would connecting a Tag transport with T2L link engaged. This would have to wait.

For those who are considering to buy Oppo from US. I think the service is quite good so far. I ordered one from their website on Monday night for US$250 including delivery. Received the player on Saturday morning. VAT+ charge £27. Notice the back of the player says mains voltage rated as 110V 60Hz. Email service department who confirmed the unit is indeed multivoltage and safe for UK mains. All it need was a plug adaptor. It is set as Region 0.

Initially I thought the remote might be faulty as I could not get it to control anything else other then ask the player to play or stop. Email the service centre this morning. Just received an email in the afternoon on the same day. They think what has happened is that when they flashed to the newest firmware, the operator forgot to change the IR for the new version of the black/silver remote. Should be able to fixed it myself later in a few seconds.

I've just ordered the BBK player from LivingCinema to go with my new Samsung 26" LCD that's being delivered tomorrow :thumbsup: I'm quite excited. If everything I've read about is true, it should be one hell of an experience. :clap:

Organoman.

Thanks for the replies guys, just hope you'll enjoy this player as much as I do. At least it made me watch a lot more movies on my projector!

Spoke to livingcinema, they're out of stock, might consider buying from Oppodigital directly, but works out pricier than livingcinema :(

If you could wait a bit longer you might wish to try to find out whether the Toshiba SD-350e HDMI/DivX DVD Player is indeed an OEM version of the BBK player. It will be available very shortly. They certainly look similar, has the same specifications and the same price tag.

4068tos111342a_f.jpg

Looks similar enough i s'pose, only problem i have with the Toshiba is that it has an HDMI out, which more than likely will be HDCP compliant, which is of no use to me as my screen is not HDCP compliant

plus the problems Tosh have had making a decent compatible dvd player in the past.. i wouldnt put it past them to bugger this one up somehow!

so what do I need to get my Oppo powered in the UK?

Its been delivered and carded since Im not there. Do I jsut need a kettle lead or some form of crazy plug adapter? I believe it is 220v compatible?

ta
D

:( Had an email from Living Cinema to say that they are out of stock of the BBK and that they are unlikely to get anymore anytime soon. What's with the supply problems with upscaling players. The reason I started looking at the BBK was due to the fact that nobody had a Samsung HD-950 in stock and I'm impatient. Arse! Looks like I might have to go for the Oppo. Bit worried abot import duty tho.

organoman.

squibbly said:
Does that mean that an HDCP compliant display, such as a projector, will not accept the signal? Or is it the other way round, in that an HDCP compliant source (ie DVD player) will not transmit to a non-HDCP compliant display?

Squibbly
No it will work with a compliant or non compliant display
a compliant player has to feed a compliant display

paul

dbeamish said:
so what do I need to get my Oppo powered in the UK?

Its been delivered and carded since Im not there. Do I jsut need a kettle lead or some form of crazy plug adapter? I believe it is 220v compatible?

ta
D
No I just cut the usa plug of and fitted a 13 amp (3 ampf used) plug
Paul

wolfgang said:
Notice the back of the player says mains voltage rated as 110V 60Hz. Email service department who confirmed the unit is indeed multivoltage and safe for UK mains. All it need was a plug adaptor.
Amazon got one for £0.50 but I just walk to Maplin to get this for £2.99 since it also has built in fuse too. Link
29828i0.jpg

organoman said:
:( Had an email from Living Cinema to say that they are out of stock of the BBK and that they are unlikely to get anymore anytime soon.

Whow... happy I decided to get one two months ago.... sorry for you, have you tried the Danish/Swedish webshops? (do a google search for them)

organoman said:
:( Had an email from Living Cinema to say that they are out of stock of the BBK and that they are unlikely to get anymore anytime soon.
Looks like I might have to go for the Oppo. Bit worried abot import duty tho.

This might help you:
nathwasere said:
I've flashed my Cambridge DVD79 with oppo firmware...

Have they made a mistake with the information on the website as it says 450 lines of resolution ? that isn't much better than Laserdisc quality, did they mean 550 ?

yeah looks like it says greater than 450 lines. I will email my contact at Oppo.
/edit - mailed them - but here: http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html

It does say:
As an example - the horizontal resolution of VHS tape is (about) 240 lines; broadcast TV (about) 330 lines, laserdisc (about) 420 lines; and DVD (about) 480 lines.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom