Oppo BDp93 or Cambridge Audio BD751

Pat Marcus

Help me out here, please, dear experts.
With the Cambridge Audio finally available, Im trying to choose between the Oppo 93 and the 751.
Why I am not comparing the oppo 95 and the 751 ? because Im not going to be using the analogue outputs of the 95 - everything will go via hdmi into my meridian HD621 and then on to the rest of the kit.

So, my first question is :
Because Ive discounted the oppo 95 for its superfluous analogue stage, is it also pointless looking at the Cambridge Audio...or does the CA have benefits that will improve its video performance and Audio via hdmi, too ?

Im happy to spend the extra on the CA, if worth it.

My second question concerns conflicting information about the two hdmi sockets on the CA. The Oppo 93 clearly states that the first QDEO-powered hdmi is for 3D and the second, for connection to legacy kit that DOESNT support 3D. Perfect for me as the HD621 doesnt handle 3D.
Different websites have claimed respectively that the two HDMI sockets on the CA both support 3D.......or, like the Oppo, that one does and the other is for connection to legacy kit. If the CA really has two 3D supporting HDMIs, it differs crucially from the Oppo and is therefore no use to me. Anyone know the answer ?

Depending on the answer to question 2, are these the only players with 2xhdmis that also support USB hard drives with NTFS formatting ? Ive notice that new Sony "80" series support NTFS but none have dual hdmi.

Last edited:

Avi

Distinguished Member
Help me out here, please, dear experts.
With the Cambridge Audio finally available, Im trying to choose between the Oppo 93 and the 751.
Why I am not comparing the oppo 95 and the 751 ? because Im not going to be using the analogue outputs of the 95 - everything will go via hdmi into my meridian HD621 and then on to the rest of the kit.

So, my first question is :
Because Ive discounted the oppo 95 for its superfluous analogue stage, is it also pointless looking at the Cambridge Audio...or does the CA have benefits that will improve its video performance and Audio via hdmi, too ?

Given the 751 hasn't been available to compare it's difficult for me to give an answer based on first hand assessment/measuring. However, based on past CA models that have followed a similar (essentially the same) digital platform to the Oppo my guess is there will be no difference in video performance. It appears the 751 uses a similar (same?) main digital board to the Oppo 93. I'm not aware of anything in the CA spec that would result in improved HDMI video or audio performance. Obviously the analogue output stage is different between the Oppo 93 and the CA 751 which is what generates most of the extra cost IMO.

That said people can look at images and listen to sound and pretty much claim anything for all sorts of reasons. If you have the experience and knowledge then first hand controlled assessment in a properly calibrated comparison is the best way to establish any difference in your own setup.

My second question concerns conflicting information about the two hdmi sockets on the CA. The Oppo 93 clearly states that the first QDEO-powered hdmi is for 3D and the second, for connection to legacy kit that DOESNT support 3D. Perfect for me as the HD621 doesnt handle 3D.
Different websites have claimed respectively that the two HDMI sockets on the CA both support 3D.......or, like the Oppo, that one does and the other is for connection to legacy kit. If the CA really has two 3D supporting HDMIs, it differs crucially from the Oppo and is therefore no use to me. Anyone know the answer ?

Thanks all.

HDMI 1 on the Oppo directs video output via the QDEO post processor. This provides additional image enhancement features and may provide better results with interlaced formats compared to the MediaTek. Hence HDMI 1 is viewed as the primary HDMI for video.

Both HDMI's on the Oppo support 3D output but most people using player based processing will probably use HDMI 1 for video given the above. Either will work with the HD621 within its EDID and HDMI pass-through repeat capability i.e. no 3D unless M can change support for this via firmware.

Avi

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom