Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 5

dante01

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
MOD EDIT: This thread continues from http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...-blu-ray-player-part-4-a-34.html#post17494206

Due to the 95 it is often assumed that the 93 is poor for audio, this is a mistake, when given high quality source audio especially HD audio or SACD it is actually a very good performer but people often try to compare it to extremely exotic equipment possible due to the early hype of these players. The only audio format I ever found it to be weak(relatively) at was red book CD but for this I run my Oppo through my external DAC it it actually sounds pretty good.

This is all my personal opinion, some may disagree, thats fine too :thumbsup:

I too am not overly fond of the BDP93's audio when using its own onboard DACs. I prefer the results I get from the Burr Brown DACs onboard my Yamaha AV amp to the sound of the Cirrus Logic DACs onboard the BDP93. But the BDP95 has entirely different DACs so …

Last edited by a moderator:
Done the update via the USB on the front of the unit & the dongle is plugged
into the back playing back blu rays region A&B are all ok as are media files,

Out of interest, are you able to get a negative (wrong zone) response from the player rather than positive (it playing)?

i.e. if you set to Zone A and put in a Zone B disc does it come up with a "Wrong Zone" message or vice vera (an A disc won't play when player set to zone B).?

bluraychip have confirmed that there have been issues and have been working on a fix. I do not know the extent of it, we have just one customer so far notify us of a problem. I would recommend that any with a pro mod kit do not upgrade currently.

I also understand that a workaround that some have been implementing to roll back firmware no longer functions.

In an ideal world being able to roll back firmware is preferable, but I understand that this functionality is not implemented by OPPO due to licencing issues/restrictions.

Hi Dean,

Can I just check you are saying not to do the update when it's officially available even on players with the pro mod kit pre-installed by you?

Thanks, S

Hi Dean,

Can I just check you are saying not to do the update when it's officially available even on players with the pro mod kit pre-installed by you?

Thanks, S

You're free to apply the new update, but if you do then your Pro mod kit will fail to function thereafter.

Hi Dean,

Thanks, S

We are testing at the moment, but I would advise any one with pro mod kits to hold fire at the moment.

We have done one testing but results are currently inconsistent.

EDIT: And yes, to clarify, in relation to the public release as of this morning.

Last edited:
We have done one testing but results are currently inconsistent.

In what way? Is the mod kit rendered useless or do you mean you're experiencing mixed results from player to player?

I have an Oppo 95 not an Oppo 93 but foolishly clicked "OK" on the "firmware update available. Want to update?" prompt that suddenly appeared this morning (because my player is Ethernet connected).

Initial response was a chunkily pixelated display that "glimmered", even the Oppo main menu. This was apparently because I didn't reset the default settings which is required after applying an upgrade (even though I hadn't changed any settings). Resetting the defaults fixed things so Region 2 discs play Ok but I have lost all multi-region capability.

If I select a region (powering on the unit using "1" or "2" on the remote) then when the disc draw is closed the player stops responding completely to the remote and the Oppo Blu-ray logo is sat frozen on the screen. The only way to get Region B playback back was to unplug the whole unit to get the remote working again and just use the "power" button on the remote which gives me the default zone B playability.

Bottom line: The firmware update currently changes a multi-zone player to a single zone player if my experience is typical.

In what way? Is the mod kit rendered useless or do you mean you're experiencing mixed results from player to player?

Upgrading one over ethernet compared to USB seemed OK at first, but then started to exhibit the problems.

As Irascian has said, if you try to power on with the 1,2 or 3 buttons on the remote it will lock up the player, if you power on via the power switch the player should function OK but only in the default zone.

A fix is being tested at the moment and should be released as soon as confirmed OK.

Upgrading one over ethernet compared to USB seemed OK at first, but then started to exhibit the problems.

As Irascian has said, if you try to power on with the 1,2 or 3 buttons on the remote it will lock up the player, if you power on via the power switch the player should function OK but only in the default zone.

A fix is being tested at the moment and should be released as soon as confirmed OK.

So the presence of the mod kit will not effect the player in a detrimental manner, but the firmware update will render the mod useless?

A bit off topic, but the Pro kit previously had an update issued in relation to the rear USB port (PRO mod firmware update 1.0g), but when I tried to apply that update nothing happened???

Mine's not multi region. Does that mean its ok for me to update? If so why should I?

Mine's not multi region. Does that mean its ok for me to update? If so why should I?

If this lot is of any help to you:

Oppo said:
Release Notes:

This version is designed for the OPPO BDP-93EU and BDP-95EU Blu-ray Disc players. This version is the same as the latest Public Beta release version BDP9xEU-71-0723B. Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP9xEU-66-0413, the major changes are:

1. Added "DVD 24p Conversion" (For NTSC DVD). This feature restores the original 24 film frames from DVD-Video and outputs it as 1080p/24Hz. To enable this feature, enter the Video Setup in the Setup Menu, set the "1080p24 Output" to be "Auto" or "On", and set the "DVD 24p Conversion" to be "On". Note: the actual DVD 24Hz conversion quality can be affected by the display’s processing and video source, especially for a non-3:2 pulldown cadence source.

2. Resolved the audio decoding failure on the "Volume Sixteen" DTS Blu-ray Demo Disc (released CES 2012). Customers reported clips for "Tron" and "Lion King" were improperly decoded when HDMI was set to LPCM. This firmware upgrades the DTS SDK to correct changes in the encoding standards for these kind of soundtracks.

3. Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples, such as "Dexter (BD, Season 4)".

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

Source: Firmware | Customer Services | OPPO BD UK

If not then you might want to hold of for a while... most likely everyone will eventually come across a disc or situation that requires you to update.

Hi Dave

the update appears only to affect the pro mod kit, albeit sporadically as i`ve intalled 2 today and they appear to be working fine, or at least i`ll continue to test this afternoon.

if you feel you don`t need to do the update on your 93 then don`t if everything is working as it should and to your satifaction

Allan

My oppo now says bd reg b and DVD reg 2 when I enter 0770 on the setup screen :(

Really hope there is a fix for this...

My oppo now says bd reg b and DVD reg 2 when I enter 0770 on the setup screen :(

Really hope there is a fix for this...

Mines for some reason stuck in region A and region 0 for DVD, so the chip is working sort of i guess.

Edit. After exiting this screen its back to default.

Last edited:
2011 OPPO BDP-93 3D PRO MOD MultiZone Blu Ray Zone A/B: Amazon.de: Elektronik

hi,
i bought this player with a pro mod different from the bluraychip.dk mod.

to choose the region,in standby, you have to press blue,then 1or 2 for region a or b.then power on.

i contacted the seller,he wrote me,this pro mod would not be affected by
the newest firmware update.

anybody with the same modified player who can confirm this ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi there,

I bought a Oppo BDP-93 and am using the onboard audio decoding via the 7.1ch outputs. It works a treat and I'm very impressed with the sound quality.

Riz :)

. I'd say it will depend on the amp as to whether the BDP95's analogue output is better in relation to 7.1 movie output.
Hi Julio V,
I had a borrow of a 95 a while back to test it and I liked it very much, comparing CD audio from the 95 to the 93 is no contest imho the 95 wins easily but the differences are far harder regarding movie soundtracks for me as most movies are often not that subtle and very often not that sophisticated so here the lines are a bit more blurred, so if as you say this player is never for audio playback only movies I think you might be as well with the 93 but only you can decide.

Thank you very much for your all replies. I have just searched the web and found out that some one asked the same question, then he got a reply from OPPO staff:
" He (oppo staff) said the studios are concerned about the audio quality of the BD soundtrack but since the vast majority of buyers will be using the HDMI, the recordings take a back seat as compared to making a CD. The 93 & 95 players with their respective DAC's can only playback the BD movie audio via the 7.1 analog to the standards set forth in the recording which fall short of a CD recording. In other words he said it's a whole different ballgame when it comes to the audio mastering of a CD. This is where the Sabre DAC's in the 95 will really shine because the source is recorded to a much higher standard because the playback will be via analog & not HDMI. "

It seems I am going to the final decision

2011 OPPO BDP-93 3D PRO MOD MultiZone Blu Ray Zone A/B: Amazon.de: Elektronik

hi,
i bought this player with a pro mod different from the bluraychip.dk mod.

to choose the region,in standby, you have to press blue,then 1or 2 for region a or b.then power on.

i contacted the seller,he wrote me,this pro mod would not be affected by
the newest firmware update.

anybody with the same modified player who can confirm this ?
I have a similar model (USA machine with Pro Mod, which covers region C as well as A & B). It will still play Region A and B BDs, after installation of the 14/8/2012 USA firmware mod. (I have not tested region C.)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Oppo does have a variable volume control so in theory you could run the player directly to a power amp and control the volume on the Oppo but in all honesty I would be very wary on this.

The Variable Volume on the Oppo is a digital one, the OS in modern payers like the Oppo's are very complex compared to a back in the day CD player and although very rare my Oppo has crashed a couple of times (or locked up). imagine if this happened connected directly to my Arcam P7 and 100% of the Volume of a 7x150watt power amp was shunted to my speakers, the vision of Kevlar FST drivers being launched across the room and my hearing being so screwed up that I wouldn't be able to notice is not a pretty one.

Hi BrianMW, Thanks for your reply.

Let the vol ( on the remote control) untouched. Have you ever connected the Oppo direct to the amp if you adjust the level in "speakers level set up"? in that way, is it digital or analogue adjusted? Thanks

Hi BrianMW, Thanks for your reply.

Let the vol ( on the remote control) untouched. Have you ever connected the Oppo direct to the amp if you adjust the level in "speakers level set up"? in that way, is it digital or analogue adjusted? Thanks

adjustments to the levels only effects the analogue outputs. The levels are not changed by using the volume control and the volume control increases or decreases the volume as a whole and not each individual channel. The levels settings are provided in order to allow a user to calibrate their speakers. AV amps tend not to offer the ability to manage calibration if dealing with multichannel analogue inputs so this has to be done via the player's settings. The same would be true if using the player with a multichannel power amp and you'd use the levels settings to calibrate the output. If using a power amp directly connected to the player then you'd also not have the room correction commonly associated with integrated AV amps.

adjustments to the levels only effects the analogue outputs. The levels are not changed by using the volume control and the volume control increases or decreases the volume as a whole and not each individual channel. . . . The same would be true if using the player with a multichannel power amp and you'd use the levels settings to calibrate the output. If using a power amp directly connected to the player then you'd also not have the room correction commonly associated with integrated AV amps.

Hi thanks for your reply,

I think you mis understand me

My question is: can oppo be connected directly to the power amp.
According to your reply, it seems i do not need 7.1 preamp:
level setting to calibrate out put ( analogue)
Volume control( on the remote) for the whole = master volume

Please correct me if I am wrong

Hi thanks for your reply,

I think you mis understand me

My question is: can oppo be connected directly to the power amp.
According to your reply, it seems i do not need 7.1 preamp:
level setting to calibrate out put ( analogue)
Volume control( on the remote) for the whole = master volume

Please correct me if I am wrong

Yes, you can connect the OPPO's analogue outputs directly to a multichannel power amp sans a pre amp and/or processor and control the master volume via the player's remote. Note that the absence of a pre amp/processor will require speaker calibration and bass management to be carried out via the OPPO's settings. As I already mentioned previously, you'll also not have any form of room correction or EQ adjustment if going straight from the player to an external power amp.

Update for the mod chip available here.

Please read the pdf for updating instructions.

This is done at your own risk. Please contact your dealer if you need assistance with the update.

Thanks for this - it works - although I pressed ok after doing the 0770 test and it locked it back as Region B/2...

So I repeated the complete procedure and it worked - phew!

Update for the mod chip available here.

Please read the pdf for updating instructions.

This is done at your own risk. Please contact your dealer if you need assistance with the update.

Link doesn't work.

I got an email from bluraychip with the link but this also does not work - just emailed them

Just wondering if they have found a problem with the new update and that's why the link has been removed?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom