OPPO-BDP-83-Region-Free

tizbone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just trying to figure out if I'm completely missing something here but these guys (link below) sell the OPPO BDP-83 region free for $600. This is, from what I gather, one the top rated players still on the market and comparable in performance to the high end Denons or Pioneers (so I've read) and sells for $500 off the shelf so $600 chipped looks like a steal??

I rung the store, the Indian dude told me it was "100% region unlocked" and is chipped obviously. Is this likely to be at the cost of some sort loss in performance or is it a great bargain? Thanks!

OPPO BDP-83 Region Free Code Free Blu-ray Disc Player with SACD, DVD-Audio, and VRS Technology - Blu-Ray DVDs PAL or NTSC from all regions A, B, C - Play Any Regions DVD 1,2,3,4,5,6,8

I rung the store, the Indian dude told me it was "100% region unlocked" and is chipped obviously. Is this likely to be at the cost of some sort loss in performance or is it a great bargain? Thanks!

I can't comment on that particular store of the MR hardware kit they use but based on other known mr hw kits there is no loss of performance.

If you're in the UK and import don't forget tax that "should" officially be applied i.e. import duty 13.9% and on top of that VAT 17.5%).

AVI

I can't see any mention of how it was made Multi-region (ofcourse they don't leave the factory like that)

There is AFAIK 2 methods of making the BDP-83 region free, one is to install a hardware mod (there are at least a couple of kits avaliable) or to perform a software update with a 'cracked' version of the software.

The Hardware mods are usually far more reliable and don't affect performance. The cracked software does affect performance, I believe, will only last until the next time you update the firmware (regular updates are always necessary) and I think as the hardware mods proved so popular you'll be lucky to get a latest version of the firmware that is cracked.

So stick to hardware modded MR basically! :D And you need to know if the link you pasted is for a machine with a hardware mod or cracked software, there are no instructions as to how to operate the MR ability which usually gives a clue and could help narrow down which mod was used, if it has got a harware mod fitted?

IMHO too many unknows, I would walk away and go to CRT
Region Free OPPO BDP-83
May be a little bit more but when spending this sort of money on a DVD player I'd want to know it was all as it should be.

Particularly if you are in the UK as indicated on your profile as AVI mentioned the Tax etc pretty much remove any inital cost savings and returning a faulty unit will be another pain.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom