Oppo BDP-83 (Region A) Owners Thread - Part 7

Just upgraded to the latest firmware and have now found that some files i have on a usb stick that played with the black boarders top and bottom of the screen are now being stretched to fill the screen making the picture look a little distorted,tryed the various settings but none alter this problem,i resorted back to the older firmware again and the problem is gone.I will email oppo support to see if they have any idea.

In the update notes for the latest firmware Oppo say this:-

"This version has a known issue - When the TV aspect ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto", MKV files may be played back with an incorrect aspect ratio. The workaround is to set the TV aspect ratio to "16:9 Wide". We hope to resolve this issue with a future firmware update."

In the update notes for the latest firmware Oppo say this:-

"This version has a known issue - When the TV aspect ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto", MKV files may be played back with an incorrect aspect ratio. The workaround is to set the TV aspect ratio to "16:9 Wide". We hope to resolve this issue with a future firmware update."

ive tryed this and it still doesnt look right,i had a strange reply from oppo tho-

Under Video Setup change the Primary Output to COMPONENT. Your video should now have the proper aspect ratio.

You will need to change between HDMI and COMPONENT when playing back DVD and user created media.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Can anyone post a definitive list of changes made by this update?

Cheers.

Steve W

On the Oppo site it says-

Certain SACD discs with many short tracks or with a long track following several short tracks can cause the player to freeze during playback. This version fixes the issue. The crackles and pops that happened occasionally between tracks on some discs are also eliminated.
Fix for the issue of incorrect video size when playing some Blu-ray discs, such as "Patton", "Time Bandits" and "Date Night".
A small number of Blu-ray discs with Dolby TrueHD audio exhibit a momentary audio drop-out issue if the player is connected to an A/V receiver via HDMI and bitstream is selected as the HDMI Audio format. This version fixes the issue.
Support for LPCM audio streaming over home network is restored. The previous firmware did not carry this feature over from older versions. Please note that home network streaming is an experimental feature. You will need a computer running UPnP or DLNA streaming server software that can support transcoding to LPCM in order to use this feature.
The previous firmware version displays the time counter slightly too fast when playing SACD. This version fixes the issue.
Quieter laser head movement for CD playback.
Other general disc and media file compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version. This version has a known issue - When the TV aspect ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto", MKV files may be played back with an incorrect aspect ratio. The workaround is to set the TV aspect ratio to "16:9 Wide". We hope to resolve this issue with a future firmware update.

i'm quite surprised they released it with known issues,and also its not just mkv's that play back incorrectly....

Last edited:
just had another email regarding the playback issue,after i told them i only use hdmi-

You do not need to connect using component, just change the setting. This will force all de-interlacing, scaling, and aspect ratio controls to be handled by the decoder. This will resolve your issues when playing back user generated content.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

ok ive just tryed the above method but unfortunatly it doesnt make any difference.....

Last edited:
Hi,

I have had the oppo for quite some time now, Just wanted to know if i upgrade the firmware would this allow me to play 3D?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have had the oppo for quite some time now, Just wanted to know if i upgrade the firmware would this allow me to play 3D?

Thanks.

Unfortunately not, it wont allow you to play 3D discs. You will have to change the player to one of the newer models in order to do that.

I'm pleased to report that after the recent Firmware update, the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-Rays now play back properly.

Before, it would start playing zoomed into the top corner of the picture and was a right pain trying to make it okay back correctly.

After the update, all us well :)

I have had my 83 from crt for yonks, just wondering if I can change the plug from the horrible one that was supplied ?
Looks like a botched us>uk conversion ?

I have had my 83 from crt for yonks, just wondering if I can change the plug from the horrible one that was supplied ?
Looks like a botched us>uk conversion ?

If you mean the main power lead then yes. Choose a cable that has or can be fitted with an IEC 13 (IEC 17 would also work if there's no earth pin) connector.

Avi

I've just run into a problem with the US version of Alien (single disc, not part of the box set). There is a long pause before the splash screen (about a minute) and an even longer pause before the main menu.
During these pauses the display shows a row of zeros or dashes. After that the disc seems to play as normal. Has anyone else has a similar experience with this disc?

I am thinking of buying a nuforce 83, i was going to use the hdmi out to my onkyo 805 amp through a Rotel 1075 power amp for 5.1.

However can I use the stereo output of the bdp 83 through a stereo amp to another set of "musical" speakers, eg b and w cm5's. This is so that I can have the best of both worlds, a decent stereo and 5.1.

I am thinking of buying a nuforce 83, i was going to use the hdmi out to my onkyo 805 amp through a Rotel 1075 power amp for 5.1.

However can I use the stereo output of the bdp 83 through a stereo amp to another set of "musical" speakers, eg b and w cm5's. This is so that I can have the best of both worlds, a decent stereo and 5.1.

Hi Brightonrvf,

One of the great things about the Oppo 83 is that all it's outputs are working and active all the time, audio & video (one reason I ditched the PS3 I had before it). So it should do exactly what you want :)

How you configure the settings of audio / video I guess could impact each output differently but that's a whole other minefield. For example, I know turning off the secondary audio setting (which i initially assumed was only for BluRay Live content) impacted the DTS re-encode facility that I now use!

Steve.

Does anybody know where I can find a confirmed list of compatible USB drives for the Oppo 83? I've searched many forums & sites but can't find much...I'm sure I once saw a compiled compatibility list a year or so back but can't find anything now!

I'm aware of the FAT32 requirement and therefore 4Gig individual file size limit. Also see that many people have advised they have bigger than the advised 200Gig drive size limit working.

Looking for a large, cheap, powered USB drive that I can use to transfer my DVDs to. The age old problem of cupboard storage space and a move to BluRays means I'm considering converting my DVDs to a hard drive. (they're already stored in slim sleeves having run out of space for Amaray cases years ago!

Steve.

Hi

I have got one of the CRT projectors multiple region players and wondered if anyone ever found any discs that would not play?

My father in law brought a region B disc around recently and I did the blue button in standby procedure, beeped twice to set to region B but it still popped up on screen "incorrect region".

Would a firmware update help? I am still on original firmware (bought it dec 08).

Cheers
Rob

Hi

I have got one of the CRT projectors multiple region players and wondered if anyone ever found any discs that would not play?

My father in law brought a region B disc around recently and I did the blue button in standby procedure, beeped twice to set to region B but it still popped up on screen "incorrect region".

Would a firmware update help? I am still on original firmware (bought it dec 08).

Cheers
Rob

Make sure he keeps pressing stop as the disc loads because many auto-resume to the last position played, which in this instance is probably the region warning screen :thumbsup:

Griffith400 said:
Does anybody know where I can find a confirmed list of compatible USB drives for the Oppo 83? I've searched many forums & sites but can't find much...I'm sure I once saw a compiled compatibility list a year or so back but can't find anything now!

I'm aware of the FAT32 requirement and therefore 4Gig individual file size limit. Also see that many people have advised they have bigger than the advised 200Gig drive size limit working.

Looking for a large, cheap, powered USB drive that I can use to transfer my DVDs to. The age old problem of cupboard storage space and a move to BluRays means I'm considering converting my DVDs to a hard drive. (they're already stored in slim sleeves having run out of space for Amaray cases years ago!

Steve.

I would have thought that any FAT32 formatted USB drive would work.
I use a seagate portable USB powered 1tb in size with my Oppo 83. You'll need to reformat from NTFS to FAT32 and I can highly recommend using MultiAVCHD software too.

Cheers
Steve

I hope someone can help clarify or put my mind at ease. I was calibrating my JVC HD350 and using the AV HD 709 disc and noticed that the Oppo was clipping below black and above white at the zero settings. I set the Brightness to +1 and the contrast to -2. This allowed me to set the brightness and contrast on the projector to levels where below black is not visible and white 'flashes' to about 250. Is it OK to set the oppo as I've said or should I put it back to zero where clipping takes place?

I hope that makes sense :)

Don

Stuart said:
Make sure he keeps pressing stop as the disc loads because many auto-resume to the last position played, which in this instance is probably the region warning screen :thumbsup:

Thanks - will give it a go.

Steve Webb said:
I would have thought that any FAT32 formatted USB drive would work.
I use a seagate portable USB powered 1tb in size with my Oppo 83. You'll need to reformat from NTFS to FAT32 and I can highly recommend using MultiAVCHD software too.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,

There are reports of some Western Digital drives being incompatible that caused the BDP83 to hang! Oppo themselves acknowledged this and were investigating.

It just raises the concern that there may be others or newer as yet untested drives out there that could also have trouble and I didn't want to waste my hard earned cash :)

Hi folks,

Has anyone managed to play the UK version of Sucker Punch on this player? I received a rental copy today from Blockbuster and after three separate attempts, it will not load, just does nothing, just a black screen.

Following my query about compatible USB hard drives for the Oppo I'm now considering a different approach.

Anybody changed from the Oppo to the Dune range of HD media players?

As my DVD & Blu-Ray library is only going to continue to grow. I'm now thinking a proper digital media library might be a more sensible solution and Dune are rare in that they have units with BD drives in their Media Devices.

May not be quite to the same quality as the Oppo but since my Amp can't handle Full HD sound, I re-encode to DTS anyway and don't use the analogue outs.

Anybody else made such a move? Proper Hotswappable, 2Tb drives and the potential to use Movie Wall clipart to access an immediately available movie collection is very tempting (and wife friendly) :)

Do you have a PC? Why not use your computer? I looked into media boxes but problems with firmware, different uploaded codecs, make me choose HTPC...plus things like flac, vorbis. Probably better now, but what about in the future?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom