Oppo BDP-83 Owners Thread - All regions Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
HPIM3323.jpg

Region free details. (mod kit or buy player)

Region free mod kit instructions.

Region free firmware download.

*It's based on the beta 601 version but only upgrades the main firmware, so make sure you've already upgraded fully (all 3 parts) with the 601 from the Oppo site first, then copy just this file down a "UPG" folder and load it in the normal way*

*The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code while on the setup menu. So just press setup on remote once so the menu appears then hit:

7891 : Region A and region free DVD
7892 : Region B and region free DVD
7893 : Region C and region free DVD

The setting is saved when the player is switched off, as with any other option*

FAQ's. (excellent for info)
Online manual.
Official site,specs,firmware.
Close up pics of the players motherboard,chips etc.
Nics first impressions of the player.Another user review. (updated)
Video setup guide and player features.

Pro-reviews.
Secrets of Home Theater.
Audioholics.
Audio/Video revolution.
About.com.
Home Theater Magazine.
Ultimate AV.
High-Def Digest.

Hidden features.
Pressing Eject on the remote will power on the player and eject the tray.
If you press and hold the Setup button on the remote you will get the Picture Adjustment menu directly.
For DVD the Top Menu remote button is the same as TITLE, and the Popup Menu remote button is the same as the MENU function on DVD remotes. (Not all discs use both functions).
When playing DVD (not Blu-ray), pressing the YELLOW button on the remote will take you to chapter 1 of the longest title on the disc. You can use this during startup to skip the introductory material.
When playing DVD, the BLUE button performs the random/shuffle cycle for titles and chapters, just as with media files and audio tracks.
JACKET_P images on DVD are supported. JACKET_P is optional cover art that displays when a disc is stopped.
With mp3 files, the browser will display ID3v2 tags, including "PIC" cover art images.
CD-Text is shown on the On Screen Display: album name, artist and track title.
You can play AVCHD. See Is AVCHD video supported?
You can get Slow playback in forward and reverse by pressing Pause and then using the right and left arrow buttons. The speed steps are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2.

My findings with the player.
Packaging.
Build quality and player size comparison.
Load times.Player operation and features.
Audio settings.83 remote turning on your other Oppo kit as well? click here.
BDP-83 as a DVD player.
SD and HD processing.
BDP-83 as a CD player.
BDP-83 compared to the Sony 5000ES and Pioneer LX91.

BDP-83 vs the Denon 3800 BD player. (willharris10)

BDP-83 vs Arcam DV139 SACD/DVD-A. (sapper)

Blu-ray-BDP-83_front-1.jpg

Blu-ray-BDP-83_back_hr.jpg

Last edited:

gctwnl

Standard Member
After a longer period (two months or so), I decided today to see if there were any changes regarding the availability of the Oppo BR player in Europe. I clicked the link I saved, but the page turns up 404 (not found) and the BR player is nowhere to be seen on the site.

So, what is up?

sapper

Thank you all for your informative replies. So if I can brutallly summarise the comments it sounds like the oppo is a strong challenger to many high end machines most of the time, equalling £4k players in many regards, with nth degree of analogue performance being the discriminating factor. But equally, any cheap blu ray player for blu ray over HDmi will be close - if not identical - to the oppo or the £4k players.

For sd upscaling, it sounds like performance is very good, up there with any player / processor at any price - albeit wiiith the sig ificant caveat that it won't beat everything on every test, nor will it satisfy every subjctive preference for all programme material.

Speed of performance and ergonomics sound like they're the equal of anyhing out there, which is a big deal for many but not all. So the major has a point - if you have a decent DVD player and a fast blu ray player (ps3) then you won't gain much.

So is it a true, 100% world beater - better thananything? No. But, it sounds like it's close enough tothat status, for most but not all people, that few would miss anything compared to cost no object players. Multiple channel analogue being the main application where the high end wins.

None of which will change the mind of people who don't feel the ned for it. Quite right too. But it does to me reinforce the impressioN that this is pretty much a high end product at a knock down price.

Just give me the DVD and blu ray performance wihout the sacd for <£300 please!!!

Saw this in another thread, and thought it was a good summary of the pros/cons of the oppo.

Adrian

kingfats

Distinguished Member
After a longer period (two months or so), I decided today to see if there were any changes regarding the availability of the Oppo BR player in Europe. I clicked the link I saved, but the page turns up 404 (not found) and the BR player is nowhere to be seen on the site.

So, what is up?

Still awaiting news i'm afraid gctwnl :( supposed to be out near the end of this August?

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
Still awaiting news i'm afraid gctwnl :( supposed to be out near the end of this August?

But do we even know what is coming out?? Once we get that sorted we can worry about when :rotfl:

A little feature I really like about the Oppo, which isn't often mentioned is the dimmer on the front display. Can't say it's unique but I've never seen it before :D With the display turned off so all that is lit is the green/red power indicator, when you press a button on the remote the display lights up to indicate what it's doing then goes blank again... nice feature IMHO so it's still simple to opperate but with out the display lighting up the room all the time... just a nice little touch :D

Last edited:

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
But do we even know what is coming out?? Once we get that sorted we can worry about when :rotfl:

As I posted in the other Oppo thread, their European branch are not even sure yet!

Thank goodness for Sir Henry!

Andy Leitch

A little feature I really like about the Oppo, which isn't often mentioned is the dimmer on the front display. Can't say it's unique but I've never seen it before :D With the display turned off so all that is lit is the green/red power indicator,
My 83 has a blue/red power indicator. Does that mean different revisions are out in the wild?

gctwnl

Standard Member
As I posted in the other Oppo thread, their European branch are not even sure yet!
Given that they actively removed anything about the BDP-83 from their site they are moving in the opposite (no pun intended) direction than what people here would like, I think.
Thank goodness for Sir Henry!
Ummm. Alternative channel for a US version? But what about European standards (e.g. PAL)?

Cooney

A little feature I really like about the Oppo, which isn't often mentioned is the dimmer on the front display. Can't say it's unique but I've never seen it before :D With the display turned off so all that is lit is the green/red power indicator, when you press a button on the remote the display lights up to indicate what it's doing then goes blank again... nice feature IMHO so it's still simple to opperate but with out the display lighting up the room all the time... just a nice little touch :D

Yep. I am looking forward to this feature too. I have my Denon 2808 amp set up in a similar manner - see the display for a few moments only when you need to.

mikelj

As my amp is rather old, I've been making use of the DTS re-encode since I purchased the '83. I didn't think anything of mentioning that PCM is also re-encoded to DTS as it was stated in the tables in the lastest online manual (never looked at the paper copy!).

Another point that may be worth mentioning; it appears that 96KHz sampling can also be selected for the DTS re-encode. My amp doesn't support DTS 96/24 (really showing it's age now), I wondered if someone could test/confirm this.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
As my amp is rather old, I've been making use of the DTS re-encode since I purchased the '83. I didn't think anything of mentioning that PCM is also re-encoded to DTS as it was stated in the tables in the lastest online manual (never looked at the paper copy!).

Another point that may be worth mentioning; it appears that 96KHz sampling can also be selected for the DTS re-encode. My amp doesn't support DTS 96/24 (really showing it's age now), I wondered if someone could test/confirm this.

I'll give it a test mike. :smashin:
When i first got the Oppo and tried out coaxial the PCM track remained as 2 ch :( but now (as you know) DTS Re-encode can be used on this track as well so it's a BIG plus for SPDIF only users.

mikelj

I'll give it a test mike. :smashin:
When i first got the Oppo and tried out coaxial the PCM track remained as 2 ch :( but now (as you know) DTS Re-encode can be used on this track as well so it's a BIG plus for SPDIF only users.

Yep, definately recommend the DTS re-encode if HD audio isn't possible:smashin:

sapper

I need to connect my oppo via optical/SPDIF ( and two channel as well!)

Adrian

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member

Ok, tried Mama Mia BluRay which has a DTS soundtrack. Oppo set to COAX Bitstream, LPCM Rate Limit of 192K (my processor has 192 DACS)

Amp reports: DTS 5.1 1536 Kb/sec 48 kHz sampling

Changed Oppo to 96K while playing and it locked up on Change Audio Format screen, it didnt respond to any remote buttons but turned off on Unit. Tried 96K rate (altered while not playing!) with same results.

mikelj

Ok, tried Mama Mia BluRay which has a DTS soundtrack. Oppo set to COAX Bitstream, LPCM Rate Limit of 192K (my processor has 192 DACS)

Amp reports: DTS 5.1 1536 Kb/sec 48 kHz sampling

Changed Oppo to 96K while playing and it locked up on Change Audio Format screen, it didnt respond to any remote buttons but turned off on Unit. Tried 96K rate (altered while not playing!) with same results.

Might be a misunderstanding on my part, but coax/SPDIF should be set to bitstream.

Edit: DTS 96/24 is still a DTS compressed format, but utilises 96KHz sampling frequency rather than the standard 48KHz.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
Might be a misunderstanding on my part, but coax/SPDIF should be set to bitstream.

Edit: DTS 96/24 is still a DTS compressed format, but utilises 96KHz sampling frequency rather than the standard 48KHz.

I had COAX set to bitstream, altering Max Rate would not affect this anyway?

Be interested if anyone else gets > 48kHz.

gctwnl

Standard Member
Universal voltage,comes with UK plug and plays PAL. :smashin:
Sorry if i read your post wrong.
Is there a site I should go to? I was just wondering where to buy (probably just september, though, so maybe we'll know more about a official release. I wonder about warranty, support (new firmware etc.) of a parallel import oppo machine.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member

Is trying a DTS Master Audio disc valid? Is it correct I'm getting 1536/48 from each DTS BluRay disc I try?

Just tried RUSH - Snakes and Arrows, same rate.
Lipsync out as it was on my Samsung. Its a known problem disc and the lips move just before the sound. Now I know the Oppo doesnt correct on Analogues anyway, (which I have been using till these tests!) but all lip sync controls only allow for DELAYING sound to catch up with picture don't they?

mikelj

I had COAX set to bitstream, altering Max Rate would not affect this anyway?

Be interested if anyone else gets > 48kHz.

Sorry. You confused me with the reference to LPCM:)

I was just wondering if it was possible to set 96KHz for re-encode and that would result in a DTS92/24 output.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Is there a site I should go to? I was just wondering where to buy (probably just september, though, so maybe we'll know more about a official release. I wonder about warranty, support (new firmware etc.) of a parallel import oppo machine.

Just CRT :smashin: full warranty great customer support blah,blah,blah. :)
Firmware support is excellent and a breeze to do with the USB method.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
Sorry. You confused me with the reference to LPCM:)

I was just wondering if it was possible to set 96KHz for re-encode and that would result in a DTS92/24 output.

Confused us both then:rotfl:, just saw setting at 192 and changed it for the hell of it as couldnt find any other setting that might make DTS output go from 48 to 96!

mikelj

Is trying a DTS Master Audio disc valid? Is it correct I'm getting 1536/48 from each DTS BluRay disc I try?

I believe the max bitrate for DTS is around 1.5kbps, so it would appear that your getting the (standard) DTS max bitrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series