Oppo BDP-83 BD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD Universal Player User Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nic don't forget me, as I am very interested in analogue audio, as my receiver does not do HDMI.

Also with the USB stick, would be really appreciated if you could possibly download a movie trailer from Dave's Trailer Page and see if it plays please.

Nic another query, the USB hook up, do you navigate on screen through the drive to access what files you wish to play ?

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing planned atm but if it was any of these players I think it would be an 3800 as I recon this has the best audio of the players I have heard up until now. It was certainly the best when I tested stuff a month or two ago and for me is the best bit of the 3800. My interest in the 83 is to see what it's abilities are rather than to put it in 'competition' with others though I understand some will want a heirachy. I think I am much more likely to make comparison wrt to SD performance rather than HD. wrt to audio, I am still unsure, analogue audio is of interest to a few of us (well us two and Nick!!) but is rapidly becoming less of an issue for most others.
Nic, are you saying that the 3800 sounds better than the Oppo over analogue? I get the impression that the BDP-83 is still an over-achiever there, but I think that would still be a fair result. If you have a good amp or processor, bitstream might sound better than analogue, but there are plenty of discs with PCM tracks that could benefit from analogue connections.

That's not all. For all the convenience of HDMI, if somebody wanted the best possible sound for the least possible total outlay, it could be that an analogue connection from a good player to a good processor is still the most cost-effective way to achieve that.

Nick

Nic, are you saying that the 3800 sounds better than the Oppo over analogue? I get the impression that the BDP-83 is still an over-achiever there, but I think that would still be a fair result. If you have a good amp or processor, bitstream might sound better than analogue, but there are plenty of discs with PCM tracks that could benefit from analogue connections.

That's not all. For all the convenience of HDMI, if somebody wanted the best possible sound for the least possible total outlay, it could be that an analogue connection from a good player to a good processor is still the most cost-effective way to achieve that.

Nick

Nick

made no comments about the 'level' of the Oppo re analogue and 3800. Initial impressions are excellent but 3800 is pretty special. If it even gets close that is mega points to Oppo at the indicated price. Initial hunch is that Oppo is 'competing' but audio memory is iffy over time. The Oppo is no sluch however and destroys the £100 - £300 crowd, which analogue is not their forte.

Okay get the importance of analogue in general to many here, will go for it but end of financial year and 5 reports to deliver in 2 days to my customers means patience. Just watched an 'analogue' film tonight and was excellent but was not exactly what you call a 'blockbuster'.

Last edited:
Nic can you check if the Oppo is connected via HDMI and the 'dedicated stereo outputs' that it auto switches to stereo analogue output for CD's and HDMI output for BR's ?? :D

Nic... just to save you on some testing (as I did pester you for it), Oppo have got back to me with the following:

As long as the trailers are encoded as DivX, XviD, MKV, or MPEG-1/2, the BDP-83 will be able to play these back. If they are in any other format, such as Quicktime or MP4, we unfortunately do not support these codecs at this time.

Lossless audio formats such as FLAC, APE, WAV, and WMA Lossless are being investigated, but we do not support these at this time.

Hi Nic,

A usability testing request I think. You've tried a USB attached memory stick, could you try, if you have one, an external USB attached hard drive. I'm getting the feeling people want to know if it will allow playback of supported audio and video files, and I'd be interested if the player allows an external HD to act as the persistent storage for Blu-ray features, BonusView or BD-Live.

Nick

made no comments about the 'level' of the Oppo re analogue and 3800. Initial impressions are excellent but 3800 is pretty special. If it even gets close that is mega points to Oppo at the indicated price. Initial hunch is that Oppo is 'competing' but audio memory is iffy over time. The Oppo is no sluch however and destroys the £100 - £300 crowd, which analogue is not their forte.

Okay get the importance of analogue in general to many here, will go for it but end of financial year and 5 reports to deliver in 2 days to my customers means patience. Just watched an 'analogue' film tonight and was excellent but was not exactly what you call a 'blockbuster'.

Does this mean that the analogue performance of the oppo won't match my Arcam DV137? I was hoping to get a B2 Oppo to replace my DV137 & BD50.

It means nothing other than I am testing analogue and so far it is excellent, well above what I would expect at this price. How it compares to other machines I don't have will have to be down to others to try and comment on.

Are you seeing a lip sync problem with sd dvd as mentioned on the other thread Nic?

no lip sync issues here, even with phantom of the opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom