Oppo BDP-83 BD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD Universal Player User Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it about time we started one of these :D

Off to try the shopping bag later this afternoon and hope to post initial impressions tonight.

There is lots of info out there aleady but what would people like to know?

I was planning my 'gut' impressions intially and then spend some serious time testing further and most importantly just watching films.

Player on kind loan from CRT projectors.

Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray

It is a region A1 player.

edit 280309 :

Build Quality, Appearance, Presentation etc

The presentation of this player is exceptional. Even the accessory box is a study high quality item that oozes class. I now also have a high quality bag for shopping. The packaging is efficient and well designed and it sets off an excellent first impression.

The appearance is clean and modern. The Oppo logo is a little larger than I would like but it is the sort of thing you never see once installed. The finish is high quality but of the ‘flat but thick aluminium camp', rather than the curvy look of say the higher end Denons. Weight is substantial but not a 10kg machine. It does feel very substantial however. Removing a Sony 550 emphasised quite how ‘low quality' it is in comparison and this I rated above the Panasonics. It is in a different league to this level of player consumate with it's higher price. If people think Arcam FMJ / Diva quality then I think this sums up the unfussy simple design and high build quality without throwing acres of curvy metal panels at the job. On par with Sony ES quality and better than the their Oppo 983. The precision in aligning up things is high as is the quality of components used. Nothing looks cheap here.

The tray mechanism is stable and quiet in loading. Buttons have a nice feel on the player. Display is large and clear and can be dimmed. Haven't found a way to dim the blue power LED yet but it isn't overtly bright.

The Oppo has every connector under the book on the back! Jack assortment on the rear, including even IR in and out ports for those with custom installations that need IR routing but including the usual optical, coaxial, component, and a dedicated stereo/7.1 analog output setup. HDMI 1.3 port is provided in addition to USB2 connection (front and back cool) and the network connection needed for profile 2.0 capability. IEC power connector for those that like to use upgraded shielded silver cables. The supplied cable to me was VERY thick and stiff, any power amp would have been proud of this. The unit is 110-240v 50/60hz capable out of the box, connect it anywhere in the world including Japan, Australia, Europe etc.!!!

Overall everything is of a very high quality and I have no criticisms here outside of a desire to kill the blue LED.

Setup and Calibration

Wow, this is where the Oppo starts to show all of the competition what it should have been doing. It certainly is the player for the ‘source direct' crowd. [Kuro Pioneer displays, video processors etc] and has sheds loads of tweaks you adjust here (or defeat). Certainly better equipped than most players here, even some of the high end models. It has all the usual stuff but also bits like colour space area etc. The best bit is it seems these can be done ‘on the fly' with a disc playing. As the player is so fast, changes are quick and responsive just like our DVD players. The ABT (DVDO) processing seems to have been exploited well with nice additions above and beyond what we have on the Oppo 983. Simple things like adjusting the resolution can be done by a button on the remote giving every option. In fact most ‘parameters' appear to have a yes, no and auto type option. So those who need forced 24p when going through older receivers will adore this player.

The firmware is complex and very stable with a huge number of options. Well in advance of most of the competition even now and Oppo still have not told people their release date yet. [though it has now been set ;)). Others developing Blu ray players are going to get quite a shock re what they have to match upto with this player and how well it is all working currently. There obviously has been an immence investment here and shows why Oppo are king here. Others take note, especially Pioneer.

This player seems a tweakers delight with control of everything but the ‘toys' all appear to be working correctly so far.

Playback and features

Remote is a departure for Oppo. It is backlit and well laid out though is of the study plastic variety. Works well though and I am using channel B so not to mix up with my national Oppo collection here (983, 981, 971 (straight and SDI'd) and 970. Must get around to getting that 980 one day ;) Remote doesn't have the class of the player but no real complaints here. Channel A is the same as the DVD players, and I will use my Oppo region B2 player, if we ever see it, on the channel C.

IR can be passed from other Oppo devices like the excellent HDMI switch box around the place.

Set up wizard is simple and easy to get you going. Tag owners will remember this well. Menu structure is a typical home based ones as opposed to a Sony style one. It will be familiar territory to all.

CDs play fine
DTS CDs I am not sure about atm!!
SACD play fine (inc DSD output)
DVD A sometimes plays but is still a little flakey (though only just added this capability to the firmware in the last week and this was expected)
Dual discs I also got playing!!! Which considering they are not supported and the discs was scratched was quite an accomplishment
DVDs play fine
Blu rays play fine
Haven't got around to other formats yet.

So just throwing a random assessment of discs at the player all seem to work atm though it is obviously very early days. I have experienced no glitches or drop outs except on DVD A and CD DTS but this is on a digital connection but at this stage I don't even know if it is an Oppo issue or Onkyo. Analogue may be different again.. The discs appear to run fine

The player is region locked, I can confirm that ;)

There is plenty of information available on the player if you need to find out what it is doing. The player is a speed king and POTC 1 loaded in just over 25 secs I think, tbh it is difficult to time due to other components in the system now becoming the limiting bit. Certainly on par with the PS3 and probably better at certain things. A quantum change from my original Samsung 1000! It basically behaves like a normal DVD player and I can't see anyone being bothered by timings once you get to this level. Waiting 5 mins is a different kettle of fish and is now a thing of the past for me.

Setting / and features out of the box seem to have been well considered as the defaults and I literally plugged the unit in and was up and running in seconds.

At this stage I am starting to feel quite guilty as I usually find all the chinks in a players armour in 30 mins but this is looking more and more like a throughbreed. My desire to even bother to try a Pioneer 91 and going very rapidly (when they bother with the firmware update)

PSU is multi voltage. Player is fully loaded with digital and analogue interfaces. [a digital only one could give decent cost savings here].

For those that hate black bars, well this is the player for you. I spent many minutes playing last night on this. It has a smart zoom feature with well set out presets. Cool feature if you want it. Usual quality restriction apply but great feature. One I didn't expect to like as an OAR purist.

All sorts of bit depths etc, many of which I can't even exploit in my pretty upto date system so very future proofed for that new projector in 2 years time.

Firmware updates are by CD-R and USB. Worked well on the 983, see no reason that it won't again. I hope the front USB2 socket will allow updates, have to wait for an update, which knowing Oppo will not be too long. It will make updates very easy. The player will also let the user know when updates are available as well if you want (and are connected).

Layer change fast and faster than their 983. It should not bother anyone.

Cooling is essential for all the processing under this hood and it appears the majority of this is done passively (and silently) but with a fan for back up. Best of both worlds and a quiet solution on my system. Good stuff.

Looking just at DVD playback features, the 83 looses these features of the 983, MR and component output at 1080p but the 83 adds these 24p output with ‘NTSC' disc, 480i over HDMI, source direct, new controls for edge enhancement, detail enhancement, NR and a fun Demo Mode.

tbh it would really be easier to state what this player doesn't have and that is wireless capability. Pretty much everything else has been put in there. It is a hugely complex player, certainly the most complex I ever have tested and reminds me more of the latest receivers than DVD / CD players of old.

Calibration disc allows set up of HD or SD VC1 or SD MPEG2 and there is a whole pile of SD and HD stuff on there.

Any suggestions for PinP disc? In the setup you can enable PinP and still have bitstream as the HDMI output. I will test to see if bitstream drop to PCM for PinP.

Video quality digital

SD via HDMI performance is at least on par with the Oppo 983, so basically top flight. Best I have seen from an HD optical player directly. In fact things like 24p output take it a stage further in my book. PAL performance is equally as strong as NTSC (though is more difficult to do due to region restrictions. The gut hunch is it is doing things right on the films I have seen. Can't find my First Contact disc though. For people who want to compare with Toshiba XE1, then this player is demonstrably better. Against the 983 it is hard to call, I am not sure I could call it. Compared to my battle ship SD DVD player references (Tag DVD32rs, Onkyo 1000, Toshiba 9500 and Arcam 29) then this player is better than them all. No one is going to be disappointed here. Films look right and it passes the major test without incident.

HD via HDMI delivers a glorious vibrant and punchy picture which everyone will love. It appears to be a text book implementation of DVDO / ABT technology. Those that are familiar with DVDO / ABT gear will have a good grasp of the capabilities already. I see no obvious signs ‘post processing' when defeating the options (edge, NR etc etc) and the player really can operate as a source direct transport which is really great. Feeding a HD 1 directly clearly shows how much better the technology is in this player compared with the HD 1. No one is going to be disappointed here.

All video performance really seems top draw and it is much easier to use than any other player I have had to date. Despite the complexity of this player, it remains easy to use and fast to operate, especially jumping between chapter where it is MUCH faster than say a PS3.

Last edited:
Nice one Nic :thumbsup: you lucky so and so. :D
What's your impression on build quality and actual appearance of the player.....sorry for being a tart. :p
Also,how strong is the bag any good for carrying potatoes?

Last edited:
I immediately want to know how much better is the PQ vs your PS3 :smashin:

There is lots of info out there aleady but what would people like to know?

Well, you can PM your address again mate, and the best time to visit ;) :smashin:

I think confirmation of load times in comparison to the PS3 would be a good idea, also compatability of USB content may be useful to some :thumbsup:

And also a smoothness test of DVD/24 ? as it seems some poorly authored DVD's seem to trip it up :(

Last edited:
Because why eyes tend to glaze over at most things technical, this is something that I *think* has been mentioned - does it bitstream re-encode a la the Samsung? If so, does it achieve it as successfully?

Thanks Nic, you lucky so-and-so...

It is a region A1 player.

Nic

Is it MR for DVD and does it support PAL ? If so I'd appreciate some feedback on PAL DVD deinterlacing and scaling performance.

AVI

Last edited:
Thank you Ian, I think that is a wise move. This worried me a bit as it is likely I will be the only 'user' for a little while here. I am consious that there is a desire to get info out as quickly as possible to people but this must be tempered by the fact that I believe on long term testing (subjective and objective) and not on 15 minute reviews for accurate assesment, I therefore reserve the right to change my mind!!. As the only real poster here I am also high consious that there is no one to check my 'work' and therefore errors may unintentionally creep in, just through the ignorance of a new device and the learning necessary to operate it correctly in a variety of different systems.

Nic, seeing as we already have two other Oppo threads for general chat about the player, even if this one is initially a little slow, it would be nice to keep it a little shorter, and home to confirmed info through actual experience in addition to the other threads.

Pictures will of course be most welcome when you can.

My own interest revolves more around the players actual analogue audio performance, but I realise this is probably the hardest thing to test so am prepared to be patient. :)

Like Ian, is my interest especially the analogue section.

Nic, I appreciate your attitude,

Good information is worth a wait.

Nic, I would like to know the picture quality difference of the Oppo, using the source direct option, compared to whatever other player you have on hand at the time and advise, be it anecdotally and/or technically the difference, if any, you see please. I understand you are going to play around with it first, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My own interest revolves more around the players actual analogue audio performance, but I realise this is probably the hardest thing to test so am prepared to be patient. :)

Nic, very interested in this too, also the USB aspect what it can play from an attached USB drive or USB stick. :smashin::smashin::smashin:

I am interested in what it does with a spdif signal and the new formats.

Thanks Nick.

Personally I would be interested in your subjective opinion of the dedicated stereo outputs (do you have a 983 to compare it to?).

I hope you realise though that you are going to need to report on every single facet of the player to keep people on here happy :devil:

Hope you've taken a few weeks off work :rotfl:

OK, I'm going to police this thread quite tightly, so by all means ask questions, but I'm going to insist that answers come from first hand experience to try and keep things a little more precise. Speculation etc, should go in the other threads.

Agreed :eek: ;)

It'll be great to get some 'user feedback' posted on here Nic :smashin:

I look forward to what I suspect will be a quiet but very informative and interesting thread :D

Certainly one to be added to the Review and Feedback Stickies.. :cool:

But I do also look forward to the general 'Owners' thread eventually because it'll mean these are actually out in the wild :D :devil: and then more of us will be able to join in :smashin:

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm certainly interested in knowing if possible how it compares for PQ on bluray against any of the current higher end players, e.g 3800, lx91, s5000es. Thanks.

Just breaking for supper. Initial impression is this player is incredible. Stable, does everything I ask of it, quickly. Performance is at the top of the pile on everything and it seems to do so much this will take a while to pin down. I can't see any chink in the armour yet and those who like build quality and audio quality are in for a real treat :D Everything about this player oozes quality. I was expecting something much more 'beta' but this is clearly outperforming eveything I have seen to date. It works just like a DVD player with all the speed and responsiveness you would expect and as such seems to be the first 'mature' stand alone I have seen. Not sure how much sleep I will get tonight :D For once the hype is justified. This player is a wow device.

:cool:

Some load times for the old favourite Java heavy BR's would be interesting for comparison if you get the time Nic.. :smashin:

When you say "those who like build quality and audio quality are in for a real treat" are you refering to the analogues?? :D

Hi Nic,

Believe you have a TAG AV32 and have used Samsung re-encode? As I've bought the Samsung 1600 as a stop-gap to stop biting my nails while waiting a few months for this (B2), can you give your opinions on Oppos analogue audio (for Blurays) into the Tag vs Optical re-encode of a £200ish player, cheers.

Build Quality, Appearance, Presentation etc

The presentation of this player is exceptional. Even the accessory box is a study high quality item that oozes class. I now also have a high quality bag for shopping. The packaging is efficient and well designed and it sets off an excellent first impression.

The appearance is clean and modern. The Oppo logo is a little larger than I would like but it is the sort of thing you never see once installed. The finish is high quality but of the ‘flat but thick aluminium camp', rather than the curvy look of say the higher end Denons. Weight is substantial but not a 10kg machine. It does feel very substantial however. Removing a Sony 550 emphasised quite how ‘low quality' it is in comparison and this I rated above the Panasonics. It is in a different league to this level of player consumate with it's higher price. If people think Arcam FMJ / Diva quality then I think this sums up the unfussy simple design and high build quality without throwing acres of curvy metal panels at the job. On par with Sony ES quality and better than the their Oppo 983. The precision in aligning up things is high as is the quality of components used. Nothing looks cheap here.

The tray mechanism is stable and quiet in loading. Buttons have a nice feel on the player. Display is large and clear and can be dimmed. Haven't found a way to dim the blue power LED yet but it isn't overtly bright.

The Oppo has every connector under the book on the back! Jack assortment on the rear, including even IR in and out ports for those with custom installations that need IR routing but including the usual optical, coaxial, component, and a dedicated stereo/7.1 analog output setup. HDMI 1.3 port is provided in addition to USB2 connection (front and back cool) and the network connection needed for profile 2.0 capability. IEC power connector for those that like to use upgraded shielded silver cables. The supplied cable to me was VERY thick and stiff, any power amp would have been proud of this. The unit is 110-240v 50/60hz capable out of the box, connect it anywhere in the world including Japan, Australia, Europe etc.!!!

Overall everything is of a very high quality and I have no criticisms here outside of a desire to kill the blue LED.

Setup and Calibration

Wow, this is where the Oppo starts to show all of the competition what it should have been doing. It certainly is the player for the ‘source direct' crowd. [Kuro Pioneer displays, video processors etc] and has sheds loads of tweaks you adjust here (or defeat). Certainly better equipped than most players here, even some of the high end models. It has all the usual stuff but also bits like colour space area etc. The best bit is it seems these can be done ‘on the fly' with a disc playing. As the player is so fast, changes are quick and responsive just like our DVD players. The ABT (DVDO) processing seems to have been exploited well with nice additions above and beyond what we have on the Oppo 983. Simple things like adjusting the resolution can be done by a button on the remote giving every option. In fact most ‘parameters' appear to have a yes, no and auto type option. So those who need forced 24p when going through older receivers will adore this player.

The firmware is complex and very stable with a huge number of options. Well in advance of most of the competition even now and Oppo still have not told people their release date yet. [though it has now been set ;)). Others developing Blu ray players are going to get quite a shock re what they have to match upto with this player and how well it is all working currently. There obviously has been an immence investment here and shows why Oppo are king here. Others take note, especially Pioneer.

This player seems a tweakers delight with control of everything but the ‘toys' all appear to be working correctly so far.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Last edited:
how much better is it with sd dvd playback pic wise compared to the XE-1 is it a big leap !

Just a reminder that for now can we keep general chat about the player to the other Oppo threads as per my earlier post.

What I am looking to avoid in here for now is having a few posts of good info inbetween lots of other 'thanks' posts and other chat. That way people looking for good info can get some without having to trawl through pages and pages of not strictly relevant opinion. This can make it hard to get the info you want and leads to lots of repetition. See the big AVS thread, impossible to follow. People can thank Nic by using the Thanks button. ;)

Thank you. :smashin:

Last edited:
The best bit is it seems these can be done ‘on the fly’ with a disc playing. As the player is so fast, changes are quick and responsive just like our DVD players.

Nic, can you change the primary & secondry audio options 'on the fly' ?? this would be a very welcome feature for those who bitstream audio yet like to watch the occasional PiP feature :)

Nic, if you were pressed, and baring in mind its still early days in your testing, where would you place this player in terms of p.q with other high end players?

Hi Nic. :D
The calibration disc which comes with the Oppo does that include HD deinterlacing tests alongside the SD ones?
Ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom