Oppo BDP-83/831 Owners Thread - All regions Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfats

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
HPIM3323.jpg

Oppo BDP-831 details (UK version of the player)

Region free details. (mod kit or buy player)

Region free mod kit instructions.

Region free firmware download.

*It's based on the beta 601 version but only upgrades the main firmware, so make sure you've already upgraded fully (all 3 parts) with the 601 from the Oppo site first, then copy just this file down a "UPG" folder and load it in the normal way*

*The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code while on the setup menu. So just press setup on remote once so the menu appears then hit:

7891 : Region A and region free DVD
7892 : Region B and region free DVD
7893 : Region C and region free DVD

The setting is saved when the player is switched off, as with any other option*

FAQ's. (excellent for info)
Online manual.
Official site,specs,firmware.
Close up pics of the players motherboard,chips etc.
Nics first impressions of the player.Another user review. (updated)
Video setup guide and player features.

Pro-reviews.
Secrets of Home Theater.
Audioholics.
Audio/Video revolution.
About.com.
Home Theater Magazine.
Ultimate AV.
High-Def Digest.
cnet.
LA Audio File.

Hidden features.
Pressing Eject on the remote will power on the player and eject the tray.
If you press and hold the Setup button on the remote you will get the Picture Adjustment menu directly.
For DVD the Top Menu remote button is the same as TITLE, and the Popup Menu remote button is the same as the MENU function on DVD remotes. (Not all discs use both functions).
When playing DVD (not Blu-ray), pressing the YELLOW button on the remote will take you to chapter 1 of the longest title on the disc. You can use this during startup to skip the introductory material.
When playing DVD, the BLUE button performs the random/shuffle cycle for titles and chapters, just as with media files and audio tracks.
JACKET_P images on DVD are supported. JACKET_P is optional cover art that displays when a disc is stopped.
With mp3 files, the browser will display ID3v2 tags, including "PIC" cover art images.
CD-Text is shown on the On Screen Display: album name, artist and track title.
You can play AVCHD. See Is AVCHD video supported?
You can get Slow playback in forward and reverse by pressing Pause and then using the right and left arrow buttons. The speed steps are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2.

My findings with the player.
Packaging.
Build quality and player size comparison.
Load times.Player operation and features.
Audio settings.83 remote turning on your other Oppo kit as well? click here.
BDP-83 as a DVD player.
SD and HD processing.
BDP-83 as a CD player.
BDP-83 compared to the Sony 5000ES and Pioneer LX91.

BDP-83 vs the Denon 3800 BD player. (willharris10)

BDP-83 vs Arcam DV139 SACD/DVD-A. (sapper)

Blu-ray-BDP-83_front-1.jpg

Blu-ray-BDP-83_back_hr.jpg

Nice one, now heading over to the review, :thumbsup:

N/A for audio?

I'll happily test it for SACD, BD, and DVD-Audio... :D

N/A for audio?

I'll happily test it for SACD, BD, and DVD-Audio... :D

We have focussed on the video playback side as this is totally objective testing. We are however going to introduce audio testing but this will be marked separately and is of course more subjective.

We have focussed on the video playback side as this is totally objective testing. We are however going to introduce audio testing but this will be marked separately and is of course more subjective.

Looking forward to it. Any idea on a timescale. I've got an itch and it's getting awkward....

At $500 US vs £450 UK the pricing makes a nice change rather than the usual $ to £ exchange + £100 on top bargains we tend to enjoy from other big name brands.

I must admit however, I don't like this new matte look, much prefer the brushed aluminum finish (US version) which coincidently would look nice sitting next to my Toshiba XE1. Not sure if this was a cost cutting measure but would like to know the reasoning behind it?

I don't like this new matte look, much prefer the brushed aluminum finish (US version) which coincidently would look nice sitting next to my Toshiba XE1. Not sure if this was a cost cutting measure but would like to know the reasoning behind it?

Look on the bright side someone evil with the final say could of released the uk version bright pink:rotfl:.

I've been trying to narrow down a stand alone BD player for a while now, and have hung on a bit longer due to recent new model announcements.

I seem to be tied betwen the Oppo BDP-831 and something like the LG BD-390

Being able to have MR BR playback is a must, and that could be where the 390 will fall down, or maybe not !

Now this is a fickle thing to consider, but i dont like the slimline look of something like the Panasonic BD-60 or BD-80 etc etc.

Aaarrgghhhhh :rotfl:

Surely, there is no comparision between Oppo and LG, Oppo will win by far.

Yes, that's where i'm leaning towards. As well as the features and quality you get, it's the MR BR capabilities that sway me as well.

Upscaling of SD DVD is also important as i wont be replacing all my collection with BluRay versions.

Last edited:
Surely, there is no comparision between Oppo and LG, Oppo will win by far.

not if blu ray 'only' and wireless streaming are factors in deciding which to buy, as Phil clearly stated, there really is little between an unadulterated picture on most blu ray decks... so for the price, the LG390 seems like a belter... sub £200 now:smashin:

not if blu ray 'only' and wireless streaming are factors in deciding which to buy, as Phil clearly stated, there really is little between an unadulterated picture on most blu ray decks... so for the price, the LG390 seems like a belter... sub £200 now:smashin:

But no MR BluRay playback ;)

Although OPPO is looking at large file tolerant file system alternatives like EXT2/3 and EXFat, as well as DLNA streaming implementation in forthcoming FW releases :smashin: Which then would make the Oppo perfect :D

Hi everyone. I just would like to know if anyone knows how great the Analogue 7.1 outputs are for music DVD and Blu-Ray music as I want it to sound the best it can through my Arcam AVR-280. I have got a Cyrus Discmaster for DVD at the moment which I think is great but can the Oppo improve this and also replace my Sammy 2500?

Cheers.:thumbsup:

Look on the bright side someone evil with the final say could of released the uk version bright pink:rotfl:.

:eek: Well when you put it that way... it could've been worse. :D

I tell you what though it does seem Oppo has put great effort into this player and nobody can take that away from them. Oppo deserves to be commended for bringing this level of performance at an 'affordable' price which other well established manufacturers would have asked a whole lot more. A player made for the enthusiast and for that they have my respect.

Hi everyone. I just would like to know if anyone knows how great the Analogue 7.1 outputs are for music DVD and Blu-Ray music as I want it to sound the best it can through my Arcam AVR-280. I have got a Cyrus Discmaster for DVD at the moment which I think is great but can the Oppo improve this and also replace my Sammy 2500?

Cheers.:thumbsup:

This is one area I'm guessing quite a lot of us are interested in. Unfortunately to date there hasn't been any critical reviews that I'm aware of. Not sure what that implies but unless Phil (or other reviewers) actually does have a critical listen and provide feedback soon I might have to do it the old fashioned way and try it out for myself.

is it possible to get the 831 multi region for blu ray ?

kevo330 has not mentioned anything about how much he wants to spend, going by the hype of people owning Oppo Dvd players, one would believe Oppo Bluray players will live upto their name.

As for lot of people saying that there is little difference between the BR picture quality of different players, I disagree, from my own experience of owning Sony BDP-S300 / PS3, Panasonic BD30, Pioneer LX70A / LX71, the Pioneers I've owned have much better Audio/Video Quality. Is it worth the extra money? I say yes, at the end of the day it all depends on how much someone is willing to spend for that extra ounce of quality.

It's like a car, BMW or Ford they both do the same job yet one is better quality and has better reliability.

kevo330 has not mentioned anything about how much he wants to spend, going by the hype of people owning Oppo Dvd players, one would believe Oppo Bluray players will live upto their name.
It's like a car, BMW or Ford they both do the same job yet one is better quality and has better reliability.

My budget is up to the price of an Oppo.

Oh, and i've got a BMW as well, at least until it's sold ;)

i was referring to the overall picture differences on commonly available blu ray decks.... the pioneer lx71 is approx the same price so in this instance, yes the oppo all the way.... but thepioneer is def no slouch.... except for loading times i guess!

but i still prefered the dvd picture on my 983 yet i had to have the 83 and i do not regret it for one minute..... its cleared a lot of space in my set up.... :D

but to me, still lacks the streaming functionality the lg (or even ps3) offers, especially with the built in 1gb memory and the new craze which may hit the UK shores soon.... HD streaming :cool:

My budget is up to the price of an Oppo.

Oh, and i've got a BMW as well, at least until it's sold ;)

You buying a Ford??? :rotfl:

i was referring to the overall picture differences on commonly available blu ray decks.... the pioneer lx71 is approx the same price so in this instance, yes the oppo all the way.... but thepioneer is def no slouch.... except for loading times i guess!

but i still prefered the dvd picture on my 983 yet i had to have the 83 and i do not regret it for one minute..... its cleared a lot of space in my set up.... :D

but to me, still lacks the streaming functionality the lg (or even ps3) offers, especially with the built in 1gb memory and the new craze which may hit the UK shores soon.... HD streaming :cool:

Streaming will come at some point :hiya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom