Oppo BDP-105D - Excessive Repair Charge?

Critical Beatdown

Novice Member
My Oppo BD player is currently with the outlet I purchased it from for repair due to issues loading BDs and they have confirmed the unit requires a new laser drive. Thankfully, they have an agent who has sourced the original Sony component supplied to Oppo when they were still manufacturing BD players. However, the cost for the repair is £300, which seems excessive. Has anyone had a similar issue and been charged the same, or near the same cost?

I appreciate my unit is out of warranty and that Oppo ceased to make players some years ago but is it reasonable to charge this amount to replace the laser drive?

Feedback from anyone with similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

AndyC_772

Several hours of a competent technician's time, plus the cost of obtaining a one-off part which is probably out of production and in limited supply... I don't think it's excessive.

It's a sad fact of life that repairing equipment is expensive compared to buying it, which is why people usually scrap faulty gear and replace it instead. The 105D is well worth saving from landfill IMHO, so perhaps another option would be to sell it on in its current state, and put the proceeds towards a new machine. £300 buys a decent new UHD player, anything else you can get for your broken 105D is a bonus.

Critical Beatdown

Novice Member
I appreciate the reply and take on board all your points. I own three BD players, two of which are UHD players but I love the BDP-105D as it can do a lot things other players can’t, plus it’s the only unit I can switch regions, which is essential for me.

I don’t agree with ‘throwaway’ culture and strongly believe in making everything I invest in, be it clothing, phones, tools, hardware, etc. last as long as possible with loving care and regular maintenance but naturally, things will go wrong.

The part required is the original supplied by Sony and they are not in short supply. A friend has the same unit and needed the same component replaced in 2018 when Oppo had already ceased business manufacturing BD players. Outside of courier costs, the replacement cost him £105 so the inflated mark-up seems excessive to say the least, however, I appreciate your feedback and am aware this is how it is these days. Just wanted to check I wasn’t being taken for a ride as the outlet where I originally bought the unit have a tendency to overcharge so am requesting a breakdown / service report.

Thanks for your time, sir.

AndyC_772

I confess I'm out of touch with regard to repair costs. I've been an electronic engineer for the last 25 years or so and have my own lab, so I generally do all my own repairs and and when they're needed.

On occasion I've been asked to repair other peoples' items but it's never worth it commercially. For the prospect of £105, minus VAT and parts costs, I wouldn't even open the box.

Funnily enough I've recently retired my own BDP-95 in favour of a UHD player, and was planning to sell it. Then, yesterday, a UHD disc arrived from the USA, and even though there's no A/B/C marking anywhere on the disc or packaging, the accompanying BD (with all the special features on it) turned out to be region A and won't play. Looks like I might be hanging on to my 95 after all.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom