Oppo BDP-103 / 105 - Part 2

...Any other settings you have for your smb? In the advanced settings section? Also what permissions and to which users did you give it to?
The SMB settings in the Synology NAS are the default ones. My 'User' 'Permissions are set to 'Read/Write', so nothing special or overly complicated.

It might be worth mentioning that the one thing I always do after updating the firmware on all my devices is 'turn the mains power, off and on again'.

Ok thanks. Yep did that regarding from mains power. I also have read write. I’m at a lost. Do you think a setting on a router could be anything to do with this? I did upgrade firmware on my ubiquiti router.

Do you think a setting on a router could be anything to do with this? I did upgrade firmware on my ubiquiti router.
Could be...

I don't connect any of my networked gear through my router. I connect them to/through a 8-port gigabit network switch...

Could be...

I don't connect any of my networked gear through my router. I connect them to/through a 8-port gigabit network switch...

My router goes into the switch. As the router is only 1 port. I will check the settings

My router goes into the switch. As the router is only 1 port. I will check the settings
If you're not connecting any of your networking gear 'through' your router, then your router wont be the cause of your SMB problems.

Indeed, if you're connecting through a network switch you should be able to disconnect/remove your router completely and your networking gear should still be able to communicate with each other.

If you're not connecting any of your networking gear 'through' your router, then your router wont be the cause of your SMB problems.

Indeed, if you're connecting through a network switch you should be able to disconnect/remove your router completely and your networking gear should still be able to communicate with each other.

Ok thanks. I don’t think that’s the problem as I can browse to the smb share cause windows 10 machine and also my iPhone. Just at a lost :)

Yep it's an odd one @k3nnis.

A few hours ago I decided to test my Synology NAS to it's fullest by connecting memory storage devices into every conceivable port on the device including its SD card slot and eSATA port (which I didn't realise it had until this morning). And I can confirm that SMB connectivity works fine to all drives...

Yep it's an odd one @k3nnis.

A few hours ago I decided to test my Synology NAS to it's fullest by connecting memory storage devices into every conceivable port on the device including its SD card slot and eSATA port (which I didn't realise it had until this morning). And I can confirm that SMB connectivity works fine to all drives...

Thanks. I guess I will stick to NFS. Works fine this way. The oppo sees it. Is nfs faster than smb?

As a test setup a new SMB share on your pc with just a single media file in it for testing, see if the Oppo can see that one, rules out the NAS and its settings or points too it if successful... keep everything not required off your LAN for the test too.

Thanks I have windows 10 and I did a test and oppo could not see it but I won’t be surprised if my settings on windows 10 is incorrect.

As a test setup a new SMB share on your pc with just a single media file in it for testing, see if the Oppo can see that one, rules out the NAS and its settings or points too it if successful... keep everything not required off your LAN for the test too.
Sadly this is easier said than done, as the OPPO's are notoriously poor at finding Windows PC based SMB shares.

There are hundreds of posts about SMB shares issue over on the AVS Forum... It 'should be' much easier setting up such shares with an NAS...

Can you point me to the hundred of posts regarding issues with SMB with the Oppo on AVS? I don't see many :(

Can you point me to the hundred of posts regarding issues with SMB with the Oppo on AVS? I don't see many :(
No, as the posts are sporadically located within several OPPO topics.

Besides, the SMB connectivity issue is only related to people who want their Windows computers to communicate with their OPPO's.

As stated before, the SMB connectivity issue is not related to people who want their NAS's to communicate with their OPPO's - which is what you originally said you were having issues with and you wanted to do!

Yep my NAS :( I think I will give up on smb between oppo and nas for now. And just use NFS. Performance wise between SMB and NFS is the same? Or similar?

Yep my NAS :( I think I will give up on smb between oppo and nas for now. And just use NFS. Performance wise between SMB and NFS is the same? Or similar?
Hmmm....

Given that it's been confirmed to you that the OPPO BDP-103 does still support SMB1 served data, the following options are open for your consideration: -

Either your OPPO and/or your Synology NAS have not been firmware updated correctly. Or either your OPPO and/or your Synology NAS have not been set-up correctly.

At least you know for sure that SMB networking can and should work with your NAS!

Yep smb works with all my other devices via Synology. So something on the oppo it’s not happy with.

Hmmm....

Given that it's been confirmed to you that the OPPO BDP-103 does still support SMB1 served data, the following options are open for your consideration: -

Either your OPPO and/or your Synology NAS have not been firmware updated correctly. Or either your OPPO and/or your Synology NAS have not been set-up correctly.

At least you know for sure that SMB networking can and should work with your NAS!
p

Is it just me or my OPPO 103D whos getting slower, it seems everything lags more and more, Youtube navigation has become a nightmare on both my 103D machines.

Seems by Oppo 105EU has seen the end... :( Both HDMI inputs (back and front) are Blinking on and off. Any suggestions? Done a factory reset no luck there. Tried different source inputs still same. Just love the Oppo Will miss if this is the beginning of the end.

Seems by Oppo 105EU has seen the end... :( Both HDMI inputs (back and front) are Blinking on and off. Any suggestions? Done a factory reset no luck there. Tried different source inputs still same. Just love the Oppo Will miss if this is the beginning of the end.

Have you tried unplugging it,and leaving for at least for 15 min,read plugin and then a reset ?

Is it just me or my OPPO 103D whos getting slower, it seems everything lags more and more, Youtube navigation has become a nightmare on both my 103D machines.

Got a similar problem with my 103EU. I've put it down to a lack of software updates for the apps.
It's just one of those things (unfortunately).As YouTube updates its apps, the older machines (including TV's) get left behind, until the apps just won't function anymore.
Take a look at the Panny DPUB820, from Richer Sounds Panasonic DPUB820
For £349 it's a bargain & according to Steve Withers (i think) on the avforums podcast, it has the same video chipset as the more expensive DPUB9000.Not sure about YouTube app tho.
Richer Sounds states it has streaming capabilities but is not specific.
The only downside (for me) is the lack of SACD & DVD-Audio support which i use a lot on the Oppo.
They did mention in last weeks podcast (not the Monday just gone,but the one before), That Pioneer
are looking to come out with a true Universal disc player but don't think they mentioned the price.
So it'll be expensive then, but built like a tank :).

Sounds like a worn or damaged pin in the HDMI sockets. I had a Denon do the same thing a few years back. If you know a good (reputable) dealer with access to a repair shop, then just getting them replaced should fix the problem.
HDMI sockets are delicate things inside & it doesn't help with them being in awkward places to get at, also most HDMI cable are pretty thick and comparatively heavy, thus putting a lot of strain on the sockets.
Hope this helps.

Got a similar problem with my 103EU. I've put it down to a lack of software updates for the apps.
It's just one of those things (unfortunately).As YouTube updates its apps, the older machines (including TV's) get left behind, until the apps just won't function anymore.
Take a look at the Panny DPUB820, from Richer Sounds Panasonic DPUB820
For £349 it's a bargain & according to Steve Withers (i think) on the avforums podcast, it has the same video chipset as the more expensive DPUB9000.Not sure about YouTube app tho.
Richer Sounds states it has streaming capabilities but is not specific.
The only downside (for me) is the lack of SACD & DVD-Audio support which i use a lot on the Oppo.
They did mention in last weeks podcast (not the Monday just gone,but the one before), That Pioneer
are looking to come out with a true Universal disc player but don't think they mentioned the price.
So it'll be expensive then, but built like a tank :).

I have the OPPO 203, and panasonic UB900 and UB424 wich has same chipset as UB820 and UB9000, just had the Pioneer LX500 here as well, and the OPPO 103D is a better player in my projector setup, better SD upscaler, file player, as long as you dont need 4K playback its the one to have, so i would really like the Youtube and netflix apps updated, maybe we could all give it a shot and contact Oppo and report the app playback problematic, and if they have just a bit of respect left they will update it.

Nice idea, but alas i don't think they'll update any of the 10 series players as they've been superseded by the 20 series ones. As for updates for those ones (203 & 205's), i don't know what support they'd promised for the players when they stopped production of them.
It's a real shame because all their players were good ones & having two price ranges was even better as you didn't have to sacrifice any normal features to get a good cost effective player that could knock the socks off of the opposition.
Wow!, just realised where they got there name from.........Being the OPPOsition.
Pretty cool........well was, but not now. :-(

I have the OPPO 203, and panasonic UB900 and UB424 wich has same chipset as UB820 and UB9000, just had the Pioneer LX500 here as well, and the OPPO 103D is a better player in my projector setup, better SD upscaler, file player, as long as you dont need 4K playback its the one to have, so i would really like the Youtube and netflix apps updated, maybe we could all give it a shot and contact Oppo and report the app playback problematic, and if they have just a bit of respect left they will update it.

Thanks for the info.

I have the 103 without darbee, is that still better than the above for SD upscaling and also 1080P blu rays? I have a JVC X35 1080P projector.

Thanks for the info.

I have the 103 without darbee, is that still better than the above for SD upscaling and also 1080P blu rays? I have a JVC X35 1080P projector.

Ill think so, i selected toe 103D to get the VRS chipset over the 103 Qdeo, but i never tested a 103 Qudeo based player, for sure the 4K players dont care about SD upscaling, and the 203 has tonemapping for converting 4K HDR to SDR, but that feature is not working well, for your setup i would stick to the 103 and HD blu ray it just works better, and the HD blu ray is mastered to work perfectly to your projector.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom