Oppo 981

trailer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I see this is now available in the UK from last week.

Anyone had a chance to get their hands on one yet?

If so how does it rate?

I see this is now available in the UK from last week.

Anyone had a chance to get their hands on one yet?

If so how does it rate?

where?

crtprojectors

Don't buy them all I might be after one!!!

I get one on tuesday, I am all excited now!!

Let us know what you think Nic. I am contemplating getting one. I guess I'll need to order it soon though to get it before Xmas.

I won't get to report back until the weekend at the earliest but Henry (CRT Projectors) sent me a pretty positive email about the machine to day. He is usually very honest to me about what he thinks of players, good and bad (even the ones he sells), so I think Oppo have learned what was good about the 971 and have added to this.

:cool: with my kit i could get the Oppo OPDV-971H DVD player .
what do you think??

I received an Oppo 981 on Wednesday from CRT Projectors, and have it hooked up to 46" Sony X Series LCD at 1080p.

I haven't owned a premium DVD player before (I own a Toshiba SD220 and a Tevion 8000), so I'd expected some significant improvements, and so far I'm very impressed.

Very configurable, nice remote, and lightning fast responses. Haven't had the chance to watch much yet, but from testing out a few discs, I like what I see.

It can't work miracles with poor quality material, but the playback of recent discs (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire being one example) is the best I've ever seen. Good detail (although not a rival for HD, despite what people say), but the most impressive thing is that the motion is silky smooth, with few artifacts that I could notice.

Anyone expecting true HD performance will be disappointed, but if you have a 1080p set and a good sized DVD collection, I doubt that you'll regret buying an Oppo 981.

I received an Oppo 981 on Wednesday from CRT Projectors, and have it hooked up to 46" Sony X Series LCD at 1080p.

I haven't owned a premium DVD player before (I own a Toshiba SD220 and a Tevion 8000), so I'd expected some significant improvements, and so far I'm very impressed.

Very configurable, nice remote, and lightning fast responses. Haven't had the chance to watch much yet, but from testing out a few discs, I like what I see.

It can't work miracles with poor quality material, but the playback of recent discs (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire being one example) is the best I've ever seen. Good detail (although not a rival for HD, despite what people say), but the most impressive thing is that the motion is silky smooth, with few artifacts that I could notice.

Anyone expecting true HD performance will be disappointed, but if you have a 1080p set and a good sized DVD collection, I doubt that you'll regret buying an Oppo 981.

Thanks carsurvey - I have the 40X and its very good to hear your feedback. Chance you could check something out for me? Could you set the Oppo to interlace & downscale, let us know if the upconversion deinterlacing of the X is significantly different?

I just tried the following settings on the rooftop dragon scene on the Harry Potter DVD.

1080i: Couldn't see a noticeable difference from 1080p. Might be visible on other discs or to people with better eyes than me though

480p: Noticeably less detail

1080p with TrueLife setting turned off: Noticeably less detail

Playback was smooth in all cases. The player doesn't offer 480i or 576i, so 1080i is the only interlaced resolution on offer.

I ordered one direct from Oppo last week to replace a toshiba sd360 ( which I was fairly unimpressed with ).

It's being sent via USPS so I'm hoping there's a slim chance I'll avoid being stung by customs and exise.:thumbsdow With the strong pound, it'll be a bargain if so.

I'll let people know what i reckon when it gets here.:D

I just tried the following settings on the rooftop dragon scene on the Harry Potter DVD.

1080i: Couldn't see a noticeable difference from 1080p. Might be visible on other discs or to people with better eyes than me though

480p: Noticeably less detail

1080p with TrueLife setting turned off: Noticeably less detail

Playback was smooth in all cases. The player doesn't offer 480i or 576i, so 1080i is the only interlaced resolution on offer.

Thanks. Sounds like the Bravia X deinterlaces ok, but may not upscale as well. Whatever, I put an order into crtprojectors. I might try some before and after shots.

what is this player like at audio reproduction
for cd, sacd and dvd-a ? as well as movie soundtracks

I'm taking it's performance with picture/DD/DTS as read.
However it's 2 channel Audio quality is what I would like to hear about. Does anyone know the type of DAC used for Audio?

Looking into this one myself. Is it multi-region by default or is there a hack for it?

Thanks

There is a simple hack.

Thanks Nic

I’m popping over to the US in the first week in Jan so I think I’ll get my mate to buy it for me there and fix up with him when I arrive. This will work out at $200 as opposed to £189 – Almost half price! :smashin:

I was trying to decide between the Sony DVP-NS76H or the Pioneer DV-696, but this player seems to blow both of them away!

Bugger – just noticed that the 981 doesn’t have component out – HDMI only. My projector only has one HDMI input, so when I go SkyHD would this player become useless to me? :confused:

Thanks!

Mine (from CRT Projectors) was multi-region out of the box. No need to apply the hack myself.

Bugger – just noticed that the 981 doesn’t have component out – HDMI only. My projector only has one HDMI input, so when I go SkyHD would this player become useless to me? :confused:

Thanks!
You could buy a 2 in 1 out HDMI switch box or an amp that does HDMI switching.

Sky HD has component out so that could be an option. Not sure if there any restrictions with component & encrypted HD material though.

hi guys,

this sounds an interesting product, first time i have heard of oppo, but some good comments on them on the forums.

i'm starting to look for a replacement for my sony 725 which is dying. don't suppose any of you guys are able to comment on comparable picture quality between the two ie the 725 and 981 ?

the oppo is pretty cheap (comparatively to what i paid originally for the sony), so was wondering if the picture would be as good, and its cheaper because the technology is cheaper / better ?

i would be using it on a samsung 40" lcd (LE40R74BDX).

Cheers

Stu

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom