Oppo 971H - Static shock!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by witters, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. witters

    witters
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2000
    Messages:
    12,765
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +302
    Just got this unit. When I go to the machine I get a shock, presumably static. This also happend wih the Cambridge DVD89 for the short period I had it.

    Is there any way of stopping this? Would earthing it to my AV amp give the desired result?
     
  2. Daneel

    Daneel
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2002
    Messages:
    2,856
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    68
    Location:
    London
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would think so, yes.

    BTW, what didn't you like about the DVD89?
     
  3. bcopping

    bcopping
    Active Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    Messages:
    508
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Brecon
    Ratings:
    +46
    I am getting static from my sky box. I think it is because of figure 8 power cables dont have an earth so any static will build up.

    I am thinking of creating a new cable with 3 cores and screwing the earth into one of the case mounting screws. But then if your amplifier is earthed your plan will probably work as well.
     
  4. witters

    witters
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2000
    Messages:
    12,765
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +302
    Picture cropping, juddering divx performance, awful dim blue display...
     
  5. AndyC_772

    AndyC_772
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2005
    Messages:
    139
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Ratings:
    +42
    I doubt very much there's a lot you can do about it - but there is a misconception here.

    When the equipment is sitting on the shelf, it's not building up a static charge of its own. (Of course, if it has faulty power supply insulation then it could give you a buzz from the mains, but that's a separate issue - you'd need to find the faulty piece of kit and get it fixed).

    You, however, are building up a charge, every time you move two insulating materials against each other. Walking about wearing clothes works well! When you then touch your equipment, the charge is transferred from you to your hi-fi.

    I've been getting a lot more static shocks since I bought my Denon DVD-2900, the only piece of equipment in my rack that actually has an earth connection. It means there's now a path from any of the metal parts of my kit, through the interconnects, through the Denon and to earth.

    If your equipment has NO earth, then you probably won't get static shocks when you touch it, because there's no direct path to earth through it.

    The static discharge is harmless to you and your equipment. Every piece of kit has to be tested for ESD immunity under the EMC Directive, and the CE mark on the back means it's passed that and other tests. You might hear a brief click on audio, that's all.

    My advice? Make sure your listening room isn't full of gas or petrol vapour, and live with it :D
     
  6. witters

    witters
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2000
    Messages:
    12,765
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +302
    :D
     
  7. lardy

    lardy
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    Messages:
    96
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Coventry
    Ratings:
    +1
    absolutely correct, except that you can disharge yourself to an unearthed metallic (or even non-metallic) object with a capactiance (as the electrons on you or it want to find their lowest level so to speak). You could touch a radiator or another earthed object first and discharge yourself before touching the unit in question or take off your nylon undies/DocMartens/acrylic jumper. You should find that the problem gets worse when the weather is dry and clear and better when its a bit muggy....... :smashin: If you do have a fire in your AV/Hifi I can come and tell you why.....:lesson: :smashin:
     
  8. lardy

    lardy
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    Messages:
    96
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Coventry
    Ratings:
    +1
    dupe post....
     
  9. gkinghrn

    gkinghrn
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2006
    Messages:
    175
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Ratings:
    +15
    SERIOUSLY - Water your carpet once a week with a gentle mist spray..takes th dryness out of it and shoudl leave you static free..don't believe me..try it:smashin:
     
  10. lardy

    lardy
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    Messages:
    96
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Coventry
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could always walk round dragging a chain behind you..... call me Igor.... :D
     
  11. gkinghrn

    gkinghrn
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2006
    Messages:
    175
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Ratings:
    +15
    Now this could get silly! What about those anti-static things you put on your car..nail em to your feet?:D :D :D
     
  12. lardy

    lardy
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    Messages:
    96
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Coventry
    Ratings:
    +1
    :rotfl: perhaps wearing a copper bracelet smeared with snake oil would do the trick ??? :D or you could use the remote control ? :D
    Seriously though. OP, don't earth the double insulated appliance as that's bad :eek: , nor should you take the earth off your other appliance, very bad..
    ...:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: ............................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: noooo :devil: - "you're mine now......hahahaha..........."
     
  13. AndyC_772

    AndyC_772
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2005
    Messages:
    139
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Ratings:
    +42
    You've obviously never entered the ESD protected area in an electronics assembly plant, then! Wrist straps, heel straps, anti-static floors and benches... you can even get conductive bin liners, I kid ye not.
     
  14. lardy

    lardy
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2004
    Messages:
    96
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Coventry
    Ratings:
    +1
    do they take into acount chuffing a non-conducting gas from your bottom causing you to become charged up??:rotfl:
    (that's analogous (hoho) to how some aerosol containers spontaneously ignite when leaking, trust me.)
     

Share This Page

Loading...