Oppo 83 audio dropout Region A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simonblue, Jul 13, 2015.

1. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,062
    I have an Oppo 83 region A player,when i tried to play John Wicks Region A getting audio every couple of min :(,anybody else had this problem ?

2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,812
    It's the old MediaTek processor inside the player not liking the combination of seamless branching and Dolby TrueHD/Atmos. This problem also occurs with the 93/95 Oppo series on Wick and other affected movies like Mockingjay and Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX version.

The workaround is to set the player to PCM audio output, however this strips the Atmos extension from the audio (if you use that format).

3. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,812
    "But Geoff, what do you mean, "seamlessly branched", there's no directors cut on John Wick or Mockingjay, unlike Expendables 3 which also has this problem?". Well, I'll tell you: Lionsgate use a crude method of copy protection that encodes the movie as lots of little clips instead of one big .m2ts file, so when people rip it the movie is jumbled up randomly unless you happen to pick the right playlist with the correct order out of thousands. (Someone usually discovers the correct playlist before the Blu-ray even streets, but Lionsgate don't seem to have realised that.)

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,042
    That answers a query i've had for a while. I always wondered why on earth there are sometimes hundreds of files when you open up the disc with MakeMKV. Choosing the right one is virtually impossible.

Thanks for the info :smashin:

5. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,812
    Just do a search for "correct playlist for [whatever] blu-ray" if you run into these discs because someone, somewhere will have deduced what the right one is.

6. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,042
    That's a great help.

I'm searching and doing lots of reading, may take a while to find the right one but you've put me on the right path :D