Question Oppo 203 vs Panasonic UB900/700 for LG C6V OLED with DV

DrHarvey12

Hi all,

Pretty new to the whole 4k HDR TV / UHD Blu-ray players. I recently decided to buy a 55" LG OLED C6V for two main reasons:

1. I have a decent 7.1.4 home cinema setup and it seems like the studio execs are bundling the Atmos / DTS:X mixes fairly exclusively on the UHD Blu Rays. Since I will likely be buying the 4K UHD Blu Rays for these tracks it would be nice to take advantage of the inherent PQ improvements too included with the discs.

2. I have a decent sized collection of 3D movies and continue to enjoy them / buy them when able (and assuming that the UHD version doesn't have a mind-blowing soundtrack that might sway me more to it). Given that so many TV manufacturers seem to have dumped 3D as a feature on their TV's getting a tv that is capable of good (hopefully exceptional) playback of 3D whilst still maintaining some future compatibility with 4k /HDR programming was deemed a necessary evil at this time. If 3D was still being featured I would have happily waited till HDMI 2.1 was out and then got the TV at that point.

So I am now also in the market for a UHD Blu Ray player to marry to my LG C6V OLED. Really I am looking for the best playback of UHD's & 3D films for the money. I also understand that Dolby Vision is coming and that the Panasonic players won't be able to display that and will instead display it as HDR10. My LG TV is (or will be upon FW release) DV capable and I have heard it mentioned that this does improve things a fair amount from people who have run DV clips on their OLED's.

I don't particularly want to spend £650 on a OPPO 203. £300 on a Panasonic UB700 seems more reasonable but I don't know if DV is going to be BIG for those of us who will be able to use it. I probably don't want to have to buy another UHD player in 18 months that is DV capable if DV turns out to be a "must have" feature. OTOH if I save £300+ by buying the Panasonic now spending another £300 then wouldn't be the end of the world. But then if I do need to buy a second one it does seem like I might as well have had the Oppo all along............

I have read through some opinions on the Oppo 203 vs Pana 900 debate:

Pansonic UB900 vs Oppo 203 4k blu ray players

Still not too sure what to make of it all. The Oppo 203 owners thread is pretty hard going. Plus I guess the FW for both sets of players has advanced. Perfect 3D performance for instance is important for me.

Just after some advice as to whether given my TV people would recommend the Panasonic 900 or 700 over the Oppo 203 or feel that the Oppo 203 is overpriced.

Thanks in advance,

DrH

ashenfie

Well if you're not wanting to DAC for stereo music and not wanting DV then its a no brainer go with the Panny.

If you do want DV down the road, the you have two options

1) Buy the panny now and save £350 up and see if DV takes off i.e. double dip.
2) Buy the oppo.

IMHO double dip is the safe route. I not really sure that in 2 years down the line DV will be still with us. The manufactures don't seem to like and don't want it. So something like HLG might win the day. but who knows

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
At present theres like 1 movie out with DV but I think I read a fair few movie studios are supporting it now, LG uses DV and now the likes of Sony have it on there TV's, so I can see it being a present feature down the line.
I don't see the point in double dipping, I would just get a 4k player that has or will get the DV feature, the Oppo 203 is still a great 4k player even if it didn't have DV, which currently it doesn't.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I don't particularly want to spend £650 on a OPPO 203. £300 on a Panasonic UB700 seems more reasonable but I don't know if DV is going to be BIG for those of us who will be able to use it. I probably don't want to have to buy another UHD player in 18 months that is DV capable if DV turns out to be a "must have" feature. OTOH if I save £300+ by buying the Panasonic now spending another £300 then wouldn't be the end of the world. But then if I do need to buy a second one it does seem like I might as well have had the Oppo all along............
A few points:
  • If there are only two players able to play DV one of which is £650 how big is DV going to be given it's potential market share wil be small, limited by both player and TV availability. Both Panasonic and Samsung TVs are not DV capable.
  • The UB700 is £375 cheaper than the Oppo and gives equal PQ for non DV UHDs. The cheapest Panasonic UHD player (UB300) comes in at around £200 (£450 cheaper than Oppo).
  • There are at the moment only 2-3 DV titles. Getting an Oppo now would mean paying £375/3 or £125 extra per UHD title to be able to play these 3 DV ones. Obviously more DV titles may/will be released in the future. How quickly and whether you want them must come into the equation.
  • Any DV title will/should also play in HDR10 so you will be able to get the Atmos/DTS-X soundtracks on any player.
If I was in your situation I would either wait and see or get a cheap and capable UHD player now.
In 18 months when there may be a larger collection of DV titles, review the situation and then decide. If DV is taking off there should be more DV capable players available at a lower price point than the Oppo.

Last edited:

jont

Try the Panasonic refurb store on ebay early on a Friday morning and pick up a UB700 for £200 ... no-brainer for an instant 4k player and cheap enough to replace when you know what the state of the DV marketplace is ? ... plus you'll probably get at least half that back again selling on the 700 ;)

DrHarvey12

Thanks to you both for your input.

@gunner84

Have you tried any DV content on your B6V55?

Came across this:

http://www.*/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm

Seems like DV could be quite good for the B6 / C6 with it's low nit values.

DrHarvey12

Thanks to doug & JonT.

I think I am starting to lean towards going down the cheaper route. I just recently missed out on a used Oppo 203 though and that did tilt me more in favour of it at a reduced price.

I think I will continue to ponder the situation and not make a purchasing decision until the TV arrives. If I see a good deal (I will check out the Panasonic refurb page - thx for mentioning it) in the meantime that may sway me one way or the other. :)

ashenfie

Reading the various reviews, the Panasonic players appear to reproduce test patterns more cleanly and are stabler.
But that makes for very boring viewing. In real terms both have excellent PQ. Some have reported the oppo being very slightly softer, but in real terms nothing in it.

Last edited:

ShadiestTripod

Novice Member
Hi all,

Pretty new to the whole 4k HDR TV / UHD Blu-ray players. I recently decided to buy a 55" LG OLED C6V for two main reasons:

1. I have a decent 7.1.4 home cinema setup and it seems like the studio execs are bundling the Atmos / DTS:X mixes fairly exclusively on the UHD Blu Rays. Since I will likely be buying the 4K UHD Blu Rays for these tracks it would be nice to take advantage of the inherent PQ improvements too included with the discs.

2. I have a decent sized collection of 3D movies and continue to enjoy them / buy them when able (and assuming that the UHD version doesn't have a mind-blowing soundtrack that might sway me more to it). Given that so many TV manufacturers seem to have dumped 3D as a feature on their TV's getting a tv that is capable of good (hopefully exceptional) playback of 3D whilst still maintaining some future compatibility with 4k /HDR programming was deemed a necessary evil at this time. If 3D was still being featured I would have happily waited till HDMI 2.1 was out and then got the TV at that point.

So I am now also in the market for a UHD Blu Ray player to marry to my LG C6V OLED. Really I am looking for the best playback of UHD's & 3D films for the money. I also understand that Dolby Vision is coming and that the Panasonic players won't be able to display that and will instead display it as HDR10. My LG TV is (or will be upon FW release) DV capable and I have heard it mentioned that this does improve things a fair amount from people who have run DV clips on their OLED's.

I have read through some opinions on the Oppo 203 vs Pana 900 debate:

Pansonic UB900 vs Oppo 203 4k blu ray players

Still not too sure what to make of it all. The Oppo 203 owners thread is pretty hard going. Plus I guess the FW for both sets of players has advanced. Perfect 3D performance for instance is important for me.

Just after some advice as to whether given my TV people would recommend the Panasonic 900 or 700 over the Oppo 203 or feel that the Oppo 203 is overpriced.

Thanks in advance,

DrH

At the risk of being labelled an Oppo fan boy, I'd be more inclined to pay the extra for the Oppo. Even if the performance PQ/SQ performance is close between them, purely because I'd have more confidence in support (particularly FW updates) and reliability from Oppo.

I still get FW updates for an old BDP93 in regards patches for compatibility/disc issues, yet Panasonic and their like tend to stop software support after a couple of years.

Plus Oppo decks generally boot/load faster and have a level of build quality that inspires a sense of pride of ownership.

ashenfie

At the risk of being labelled an Oppo fan boy, I'd be more inclined to pay the extra for the Oppo. Even if the performance PQ/SQ performance is close between them, purely because I'd have more confidence in support (particularly FW updates) and reliability from Oppo.

I still get FW updates for an old BDP93 in regards patches for compatibility/disc issues, yet Panasonic and their like tend to stop software support after a couple of years.

Plus Oppo decks generally boot/load faster and have a level of build quality that inspires a sense of pride of ownership.
There are pluses and minus in everything. If we were talking about I would 100% agree. Nothing changes much. Issue is while opponents may well upgrade software, hardware is another thing and standards are in free flow. So pay loads now prevents later upgrades as your already feeling the pain.

lexicon

Reading the various reviews, the Panasonic players appear to reproduce test patterns more cleanly and are stabler.

I had the Oppo and the UB700 together for a fortnight but it was clear to me (and my partner) that the UB700 just had way more pop. The Oppo looked way muted in comparision to the UB700 to us. The difference was obvious and given the price difference the decision was a no brainer. Even if they had cost the same we would have still chosen the UB700.

But clearly others see things differently, none of us have the same pair of eyes!

DrHarvey12

Thanks for all the responses guys. Not too sure it has made my decision easier but I feel very happy with with either the UB900 / 700 or the Oppo 203. Both sounds like they will do a fantastic job.

Going to wait a few weeks and see what the general consensus is with regards to DV and whether it seems like there will be enough DV content that I would really want to watch. Be very interested in anybody's experience with DV and the LG OLED's.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom