Oplayer HD - FFMEG based media playback app

Member 29974

Around 6 weeks ago I was playing with an iphone app called oplayer which allowed the playback of formats such as mkv, avi and wmv without having to reencode. I posted my initial experience here:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ipad/1254700-playback-wmv-avi-flv-ipad.html

The author has just released an ipad specific version (Oplayer HD in the app store), which seems to work rather well. Plackback of HD material is still choppy but it has played played all the SD stuff I've thrown at it so far without issue.

As far as I can tell its based upon FFMEG which is an open source media playback framework so in theory it should playback most things, although the limiting factor seems to be the horsepower available on the ipad. The author doesn't own an ipad yet (I thought he was based in Europe but it appears its the far east) so when he does he may be able to optimise it further.

Might be off some use to you guys for situations where you can't use Airplayer or have time to transcode

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Just what I'm looking for - will have to give it a try :)

I presume you can stream files off a NAS (Twonky or file share)?

Member 29974

I don't have a NAS so I haven't tried.
It looks like it's more geared up for playing back local media files, although there is a http streaming option which you might be able to use

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Works really well. I can browse to my NAS via the browser and stream divx absolutely fine. HD stuff seems to stutter via streaming which doesn't surprise me so I'm going to test copying it over and playing locally.

Few improvements are needed but this is a very good sign of things to come. Great find :)

bingham67

I bought this after reading posts here that xvid fine tried my Spartacus tv episodes and although they show better then yxplayer on Ipad there still noticeable stutter and speech loss. :(

I really hope they come up with decent update as be nice to watch stuff on the move.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Handbrake doesnt take that long to convert TV episodes, you dont pay £2.99 and there is no stutter, is this app worth while?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I bought this after reading posts here that xvid fine tried my Spartacus tv episodes and although they show better then yxplayer on Ipad there still noticeable stutter and speech loss. :(

I really hope they come up with decent update as be nice to watch stuff on the move.

Strange - I'm not getting any stutter on on DivX/Xvid TV files (350-550mb). I do with HD files (4Gb+) which is understandable over WiFi and with software decoding

mrash

So is this only on a jailbroken iPad? If you JB an ipad will it void any warranty? I am seriously considering one instead of an iphone 4, and just getting a cheap PAYG... aggghh decisions!!!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
So is this only on a jailbroken iPad? If you JB an ipad will it void any warranty? I am seriously considering one instead of an iphone 4, and just getting a cheap PAYG... aggghh decisions!!!

This app doesn't need a jailbroken iPad as its available on the App Store.

Mine is jailbroken anyway and if you ever need to send it back for repair or anything you can restore it from iTunes which wipes out the fact it's been jailbroken and they would never know :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom