opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by peterlea, Jan 10, 2012.

1. peterlea

peterlea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im currently thinking of purchasing a Marantz 6004 cd player and amp. I have already got a yamaha 2065 av amp and could run a cd player on zone 2. would i be better served buying the two components or a dearer(better) cd player.
    i will be running bx2 speakers..

2. peterlea

peterlea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,953
    A quick search for the Yamaha RX-V2065 finds it at about £400. The newer RX-V2067 is selling for £700 to £1000. I'm curious which reflects the standard selling price for you amp. If it typically sold in the near £1000 range then it is probably a pretty good AV amp. In which case, simply adding a CD Player to it might be a wise choice. But again, without some sense of the standard selling price of the Yamaha amp, it is hard to put it into perspective.

The Harman Kardon deal provided by PeterLea is indeed a good deal. But you can get the Yamaha CDS700 which typically sells for £450 for about £299 from PeterTyson.co.uk -

Yamaha CDS700

That is a pretty stunning deal.

But, for a slightly higher £550, you can have this -

Yamaha AS500

plus this -

Yamaha CDS700

Whether the sound quality of the Marantz PM6004 will exceed the Yamaha RX-V is hard to say. Again, we need the original and standard selling price of the Yamaha to put it into perspective.

Generally speaking, around £1000 and above is where AV amp become more musical.

How do you fell you existing Yamaha AV Receiver does for music?

There are several ways for a stereo amp and an AV Reciever to share a pair of front speakers. One is a simply speaker line switch. Connect the speakers from two sources to the switch, then select which source you want to be fed to the speakers.

The other is to use the Stereo Amp to replace the front channels of the AV amp. Connect the Pre-Out of the AV to the input of the stereo, then connect the stereo amp to the speakers. In this case, the AV amp front channels are no longer used, and the Stereo amp is always on and in play replacing the front channels of the AV amp.

If your AV amp is good enough, and if you have sufficient front speakers, then simply adding a CD Player to the AV amp can do a decent job of it. I would suggest buying the CD Player first, try it with the AV amp, and see how you like it. If you are are satisfied, then problem solved. If not, then consider your options for a Stereo amp.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

4. peterlea

peterlea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    steve thanks for your imput. the yamaha amp was originally retailed at £995 i think and to be fair does a reasonable job with stereo using my ps3 as source. instead of a cd player or amp/cd player what are your thought on the new oppo blu rays been looking at the reviews they seem to put a reasonable stereo sound out and may be a upgrade to my ps3 for blu ray duties.

The reason for a stereo amp and CD player is ive got a substantial CD an vinyl collection that i dont seem to use, so was planning a turntable purchase later in the year as im in the process of setting a second lounge up as listening room away from my AV stuff.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,953
    Universal Player, similar to the Oppo, are rising in popularity. Actually, I have a Universal Harman Kardon DVD player and a Universal Harman Kardon BluRay player. Both are SACD capable.

Other Universal Players would be the Cambridge Audio 751 BluRay, and the lesser, but still reasonably good Cambridge 651 BluRay.

In addition, Marantz make quite a range of Universal BluRay player. The one in the same range as the Oppo and the Cambridge would be the Marantz UD7006.

The Marantz UD7006 being the lowest cost. The price ranges from about £500 to £800 depending on the source. The next model up in the Marantz line (UD8004) jumps to a substantial £2400.

When you weight the cost of a good BluRay player PLUS a CD Player, while not cheap, the Universal Players are not out of the question. Plus many new Universal Players now come with networking/streaming capability.

On the Oppo BDP-95EU, the best place to buy them is directly from Oppo -

BDP-95EU | OPPO BD UK

The NEW Oppo 95 is very highly rated for both audio and video playback.

Steve/bluewizard