Opinions wanted!

TheseGams

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Well pretty much ive recently been working on a series of paintings intended to be displayed as a grid, now that the majority of them are finished and the rest mapped in ive been playing around with different arrangements of the paintings, and cant make up my mind on what to choose. so i thought id post photos of the options on here to see what peoples initial reactions are, I realise that there are probably more far more relevant forums on the internet to do this but I thought it'd be interesting what peoples opinions on here are given the average lack of interest in art. Please bear in mind that the male green background painting is far from finished and will eventually have similar skin tones to the rest of them. Sorry about the picture angle and quality, rushed last minute photos im afraid :)

Also any criticisms you may have are very welcome, though bear in mind its probably a bit late to perform any drastic changes

Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• SH100771.jpg
    SH100771.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 201
  • SH100783.jpg
    SH100783.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 171
  • SH100785.jpg
    SH100785.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 155
I quite like those :smashin:

As for layout, personally, I prefer the first one, with everyone 'looking outwards'. Rather then with them looking inwards, or with the mixed - the last one doesn't sit right with me, but then I do have the odd OCD tendencies!

But for some reason, on the first layout, I'd probably put the middle-bottom row to the top. I think it's because that one shows a shoulder, and (in my mind) should then be in the middle at the top.

But that's just me :D

I'ts difficult to see the exact colours, but as you said, if you're still tweaking anyway, you can get them how you like.

Are these random people, or folks you know? Just wondered.

I can't help but feel the vertical middle column should be full face on a black background for better effect but that's just my humble opinion.

Very nicely done by the way, you obviously have some talent. ;)

I quite like those :smashin:

As for layout, personally, I prefer the first one, with everyone 'looking outwards'. Rather then with them looking inwards, or with the mixed - the last one doesn't sit right with me, but then I do have the odd OCD tendencies!

But for some reason, on the first layout, I'd probably put the middle-bottom row to the top. I think it's because that one shows a shoulder, and (in my mind) should then be in the middle at the top.

But that's just me :D

I'ts difficult to see the exact colours, but as you said, if you're still tweaking anyway, you can get them how you like.

Are these random people, or folks you know? Just wondered.

Cheers :)

Thats interesting the last one doesnt get on with you, its the one ive been veering too :rolleyes: Although its the most recent arrangement i came up with so its probably something to do with it appearing fresh in my eyes. also hadnt considored the shoulder thing, unfortunately the middle has to stay in the centre due to the colour pattern.

All the subjects (some willing and some unwilling!) are friends and family, the middle row is actually my brother, sister and me. me being the unfinished one :hiya:

I can't help but feel the vertical middle column should be full face on a black background for better effect but that's just my humble opinion.

Very nicely done by the way, you obviously have some talent. ;)

Thank you! :)

The whole piece is based on pairing a subject showing an emotion with a colour usually associated with an opposite emotion so cant really change the backgrounds much, although i agree with you, full faces in the centre would be more effective

Last edited:
Cheers :)

unfortunately the middle has to stay in the centre due to the colour pattern.

I meant I'd swap the top row & middle column with the bottom row middle column, that's all.

I particularly like the layout of the first one, ... the word that comes to me is 'optimistic' for some reason.

I like the first one most, and I don't like the last one much although that may just be because of the photo quality (it's a bit fuzzy).

I prefer No 2 because the faces are kept separate. Placing splits of heads together in some pairings in 1 and 3 doesn't sit right with me. However, that might be part of the effect you're aiming at, in which case forget I said anything.

Three rows of four will work best. You need two more middle paintings... :D

Then you do the outside facing ones, and put two halves of a face in each middle.

first one for me, everyone facing out looks like they are friendly to me for some reason.

everyone looking in looks like the person in the orange square is about to get lynched and the mix in number three doesnt sit well with the engineer in me, everything must be in order.....

#1 for me, for similar reasons as previously given by others.

No 1 for me too.

well seems like its heads up between 1 and 2, after sleeping on it I think im gonna go with 1, although will make the final decision once their all finished, cheers for the help everyone!

Hey everyone, well tomorrow nights my end of year exhibition which ive been making these paintings for, and today I finally got everything finished. So I thought I would post the finished outcomes in here just to show you all how it came out, opinions welcome!

Attachments

• SH101000.jpg
    SH101000.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 56
  • SH101003.jpg
    SH101003.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 46
  • SH100998.jpg
    SH100998.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
  • SH101009.jpg
    SH101009.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SH101014.jpg
    SH101014.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 48

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom